Why become a member? ×

Fender bullet truss rod fixed

Recently bought a Fender AVRI ‘75 jazz, long drive for it, played ok, needed some adjustment to suit me, deal done

The neck had too much relief in it, but truss rod was really tight. Only a few weeks earlier I had read in this group about somebody having the same problem, with the same bass they had just recently bought

A quick search shows this to be a fairly common issue with a well known fix involving washers 

So I took the neck into work, it helps that I run two engineering workshops, one being a machine shop

Thread size is 10 unf, so got a bush machined with internal diameter to fit that size thread and outer diameter same as ‘the bullet’

Had a couple made in stainless steel, 3mm and 4.5mm long 

Back clamped the neck slightly, fitted bush and bullet onto truss rod with a small blob of clear grease, tightened up slightly and left over night 

The desired effect was achieved, stringing with 40-100, put some relief back in the neck, leaving it exactly where I would have liked it!

Opening up an M4 washer is what people normally do, but when you can do a proper job, it’s worth the effort 

Should of took some photos I know!

Tony 

• Like 4