Why become a member? ×

DIY Guitar build

MrDinsdale

While I'm happy with the look of my previous kit-built telecaster, I'm not happy with how it plays and sounds. The neck is really chunky, and body wood is really soft and dark sounding.

Decided I'd make one from scratch. I'm thinking of another telecaster style shape, but with some more modern design elements thrown in. 

Just got the body wood delivered.

67B48D5D-1632-49A3-8FF6-9BC01D1371DB.thumb.jpeg.f83884717c567a1545abac0adb050ea4.jpeg

It's a really nice slab of Black Limba with some nice orange streaks.

Will document progress. It may not be a fast build 😂

• Like 5

Haha good things aren't worth rushing!

I do want to make another bass at some point, which will be the one I spend more time on. It'd probably have a similar body but with an American Walnut top, a laminate set or bolt-on neck, and a lot of finer detail. Maybe even go overkill and use threaded inserts and bolts for everything instead of screws etc.

One at a time though!

1 minute ago, sprocketflup said:

Where's the wood from if you don't mind my asking?

I got this off Feel Good Wood on eBay. They have a few nice bits in but couldn't turn this down. I really love the orange streaks and figuring with Black Limba, and it's rare to get it all in one piece for a reasonable price from my research!

There's the body wood alongside the wenge neck. The neck was bought online as I don't hav e to make one from scratch.

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.9c062488360c71374bad1c7f89f2dc8f.jpeg

I also got an extra spare bit of wood for making a control plate, will use magnets to attach. 

So far I’m thinking something like:

IMG_1900.thumb.png.f5978702bda8069e1430c475ac94713f.png

or with a matte black scratch plate:

IMG_1899.thumb.png.6b31d6a8e36e5ffb0ede0bc6e246f014.png

Kind of going for a Tele/Peavey T-60 inspired look. A Tele-60 perhaps. Going to rip off the T-60 single/humbucker tone blend electronics too.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

There's the body wood alongside the wenge neck. The neck was bought online as I don't hav e to make one from scratch.

IMG_0542.thumb.jpeg.9c062488360c71374bad1c7f89f2dc8f.jpeg

I also got an extra spare bit of wood for making a control plate, will use magnets to attach. 

So far I’m thinking something like:

IMG_1900.thumb.png.f5978702bda8069e1430c475ac94713f.png

or with a matte black scratch plate:

IMG_1899.thumb.png.6b31d6a8e36e5ffb0ede0bc6e246f014.png

Kind of going for a Tele/Peavey T-60 inspired look. A Tele-60 perhaps. Going to rip off the T-60 single/humbucker tone blend electronics too.

I have just done the outline of a Telecaster Deluxe 72 in Fusion 360. If you want it, I can export it in PDF and send that up, do with it what you will then :) The curves are pretty well spot on,

I'm going to use it to replace my very first 3d printed guitar which was kinda Telecaster Deluxe shaped.

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

Oooooh, is it one of the AliExpress/eBay wenge necks? I've wondered what they're like. 

It’s surprisingly good, it’s pretty slim, not crazy slim though. Finishing is good, fret work looks good too although I’m expecting a little fret work once it’s all together.

For the amount of time it’s gonna save me it’s well worth it though. I’d say it’s every bit as good as any budget to mid level guitar I’ve ever played.

I just wish you could find them without inlays, I’d prefer to use luminlay on the side and keep the top dot free ideally. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rwillett said:

I have just done the outline of a Telecaster Deluxe 72 in Fusion 360. If you want it, I can export it in PDF and send that up, do with it what you will then :) The curves are pretty well spot on,

I'm going to use it to replace my very first 3d printed guitar which was kinda Telecaster Deluxe shaped.

Rob

Aye if you don’t mind sharing it that’d be handy. Kind of going for a very stylised version of the tele, all the bezels will be 45 degrees with no rounded edges.