Why become a member? ×

The August composition challenge is pinned right here

lurksalot

Well, well, well and of course, well, a four way tie indeed. I thought it might be difficult to split them and I guess I was right.

Congrats to @Dad3353 @Jean-Luc Pickguard @upside downer and Lurks ( ah shucks) for the joint win. 

The honour has been bestowed on upside downer for the pictorial inspiration to carry us through the heady Augustine days of summer.

He thus muses...

"Been pottering along the Grand Union Canal on our narrowboat and, on our way to the pub in Shrewley one night, we passed this.

Minstrels, tell us the story of this abode!"

image.png.b2a1061fcc5e62d26935e12580e96b88.png 

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded between now and the deadline.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes/panpipes as the photo is from Shrewley,  there might be a Scottish pigeon somewhere near Shrewley, but don't tell the Shrewlians

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you..

Deadline-wise, we will go for Midnight on the 25th (effectively breakfast time on the 26th)

I am on my holibobs at various points in August so I had better be extractum digitum, I will take my ipad, so should be able to do the voting thread, but be gentle with if it isn't the normal smooooooth me  

A line or two of blurb as usual for the vote thread will be super smashing. 

Good luck, Have fun 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my entry, "How The ✽✽✽✽ Did My Bike Get Up There?"

This is the radio TikTok-friendly beeped version. There is also an uncensored version, which proves that I am neither big nor clever. That version cannot be embedded as I have set an age restriction on it per YouTube's rules. You can hear the uncensored version in all of its sweary glory on YouTube at the following link if you are logged into YouTube and don't mind a bit of gratuitous profanity → Unbeeped version for 18+

The stacked humbucking P90 of my Pelham blue Harley Benton DC Jnr FAT fuzzes up nicely with my Boss FZ-1W waza craft fuzz pedal.

After trying a few things to get a convincing vox continental organ sound, I eventually redid the organ using logic's built-in vintage B3 organ instrument.

The beep which replaces all umpteen instances of profanity is basically a 1khz sine wave, and the bicycle bell is a sample of a bicycle bell.

After you have listened to my track, please be sure to rewind it back to the beginning so it is ready for the next person

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine has gone from shit to superb, fantastic and back to shit again , and I haven’t changed anything yet 😳

I’ve got a couple of things to try , but then it’s ’publish and be damned’ 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Mine has gone from shit to superb, fantastic and back to shit again , and I haven’t changed anything yet 😳

I’ve got a couple of things to try , but then it’s ’publish and be damned’ 😂

Mine has gone from "I'd better make a start" to "No, I REALLY must make a start" 🫤

I felt that the house had seen better days, perhaps had regrets, could have done things differently. So here's a sort of urban tribute to Bill Laswell, featuring a fellow Badass Weed... And if poss, listen through decent speakers or 'phones if you want to actually hear the bass guitar!

Bass is a Sandberg Bassic. Guitar is a Strat through Bias FX. Drums are built up using Ez Drummer sounds. Synths are AAS and Iris. Vox rolled in nectar Elements and Raum, and everything smothered in Ozone 9 and Neutron 3 with the occasional dollop of IHeartNY and Shadow Hills compression. 

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 2

Here is my contribution to the July 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge, illustrated with a picture chosen by Upside Downer.
The theme is set in the title; what else could it be..? Yes, it's a Cycle of Pedal Points, in various forms.
Basically a 'standard' chord progression, with a bass line forced to pedal, mostly (but with some walking...), not aided by a slew of synths (well, two, really...) that toodle along merrily, punctuated by a low-key drum track. I found a couple of suitable (for any one definition of 'suitable' ...) vocal tracks, for colour, and a bit more pedalling. All in Reaper, of course, with only a few light Fx, my usual NY Glue Cockos compressors and a spot of Ozone 8 on the Master track.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

I saw the picture and thought of ET having gone home , his bike left on the wall and Hollywood then going home thus abandoning the place ... then I was looking for parallels in the football world ...kind of ;) or not :lol:

Yamaha 6 string acoustic , Gordon Smith on the bass label , EEEEZEEE on the tapping sticks with a guest vocal ..... I bet you wont have guessed  image.png.8250c705471034149fbae5f9387296ce.png

Something new , I slapped my waves CLA vocals VST on the acoustic guitar , figured it makes the guest vocal sound awesome, it might help on the guitar ....

wrapped up in a smothering of Ozone on Reaper 

• Like 1

I’m away myself from tomorrow . I’m taking the iPad so I should be able to set up the voting thread , if I struggle I might shout for a volunteer, but I think I managed last year when I was away at a similar point in the month. 
so crack on and record what you can 👍

I'm in with a short track for me.  I started it on 8th August (808 day), so found a great 808 bass kick that I could bounce off the wall & over the days up until now, have worked on the overall track.

If I can, I'll try & drop some lyrics on it, but I don't know that I'll get time.

So here it is...  How did that bike get up there?

• Like 1

August 2024 Basschat Composition Challenge entry.
As soon as I saw the photo, the repeating motif came into my head.
When I was working on my cover of Todd Rundgren's I Saw The Light, I read that he thought the lyrics were a bit trite and wasn't keen on the "Moon, June, Spoon" rhyming. Thus, I put these rhymes to work in the "verse" of this tune, It's all nonsense, of course, but I think the story fits the picture, but is the world ready for psychedelic madrigal-core yet?
Recorded in Reaper, Gordon-Smith GS-1 12-string, Eggle Berlin lead guitar, Mustang Bass, Gretsch drums, Nu-X MP-3 for 12-string guitar and bass sounds. Lead guitar mic'd Session Rockette amp, Cry Baby wah

https://on.soundcloud.com/vb5wQiNix6Ycjt4c6

Edited by MoonBassAlpha
  • Like 1

Had 2 from August 16th.

not sure I’ve made the right choice…

but..

here it is.

attractively named “August 2024”

I’m currently on holiday so this is just a demo idea sent to the band from earlier In the month rather than a specific recording.

I like the idea that the pacey parts are the bike’s former life racing down hills and the angrier parts (namely drums) are the crazed destruction that let to the house and the bike being knackered together… 

https://on.soundcloud.com/GD1NoyK5d1qKCxd28

EACC4145-FDF8-4430-AC60-D656CF7A858E.jpeg

• Like 1

Okey Dokey 

We are up and running , anything a bit late might be able to get added if I get a decent Wi-Fi to log on to tonight 

apart from that , good luck all ….right, its off to the beach 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, I really could be too late...

Here it is! If it's too late, then it's too late! It's about Feng Shui! Sort of! Sounds like a load of old twaddle! Yes! Both Fung Shui and the song! Stop using exclamation marks! OK! Erm, OK. Sorry.

Recorded on a homemade baritone ukulele that has tuning issues, an unbranded Strat copy and a Yamaha keyboard that buzzes a bit. Recorded onto wax cylinder with Audacity and Wavepad.

PS It's well late 'cus I've been pottering about on that boat again.

Edited by upside downer
Get on with it, you're late!

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

Man, I really could be too late...

You might get lucky; no-one has yet voted, it depends if Lurks can get a signal of more than one bar in the outlying sticks. :friends:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

You might get lucky; no-one has yet voted, it depends if Lurks can get a signal of more than one bar in the outlying sticks. :friends:

I didn't see that the voting was already up as hadn't been on BC during the day. Hey ho. That'll teach me to try and get it all wrapped up a lot earlier than I frequently manage to!