Why become a member? ×

£2000 is a very nice budget to have and covers a lot of new and second hand options. You'll get 100 different recommendations from 100 different people on here....all correct 😁 What might help to narrow down the options are things like:

Preffered scale length

Preffered string spacing

No of frets

No of pickups

Bass shapes you like eg: jazz, P, headless, pointy

What sounds you want to achieve

What sort of music you'll be playing

Finishes - solid colours or natural woods

Have you tried any 5's already and what did you like / not like about them?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Acebassmusic said:

£2000 is a very nice budget to have and covers a lot of new and second hand options. You'll get 100 different recommendations from 100 different people on here....all correct 😁 What might help to narrow down the options are things like:

Preffered scale length

Preffered string spacing

No of frets

No of pickups

Bass shapes you like eg: jazz, P, headless, pointy

What sounds you want to achieve

What sort of music you'll be playing

Finishes - solid colours or natural woods

Have you tried any 5's already and what did you like / not like about them?

Plus an idea of the sort of neck profile you like.

• Like 2

What timbre are you after?  There are LOADS of good basses for 2k from Stingrays to Statii.  It really depends on what kind of treble and midrange response you want and whether you have any ergonomic requirements eg. neck dimensions, body width or weight.

• Like 1

Acebassmusic is spot on. You need to know what it is you're looking for in a bass, first. If this will be your first 5er then the principal feature to consider, in my opinion, will be string spacing, but everything plays a part in you being happy with what you buy.

Before you spend a penny, understand what type of sound you want, then make time to go to shops and play as many different 5ers as you can to see what you need in terms of string spacing and playability. Only then start worrying about brands and which models can give you that.

My favourite 5er was a  04 Bacchus Standard 5... but that's not much use to anyone but me 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Hi Folks thanks for you feedback so far. I'll give a few more details to elaborate on what I'd like.

I currently have a 5 string Mex Jazz Bass and to be honest feel a little let down, with it's playability and feel.

I love the brightness and punch tone that fenders offer but I'm yet to find one that feels comfy and nice to play, I also like the jazz shape.

In terms of scale I like 34".

I personally prefer Maple Necks (prefer thinner necks)

Body material or finish doesn't really bother me.

I originally considered the Fender Jazz Ultra 5 but heard that the QC from fender has been hit and miss. Plus there's nowhere local to me that have any in stock, I'd prefer to find a shop with a few to try them out.

Also I've heard good things about Lakland and Sadowski but again there's nowhere local that really sells them. Frustrating 

Edited by mattwarrillow

15 minutes ago, mattwarrillow said:

Hi Folks thanks for you feedback so far. I give a few more details to elaborate on what I'd like.

I currently have a 5 string Mex Jazz Bass and to be honest feel a little let down, with it's playability and feel.

I love the brightness and punch tone that fenders offer but I'm yet to find one that feels comfy and nice to play, I also like the jazz shape.

I originally considered the Fender Jazz Ultra 5 but heard that the QC from fender has been hit and miss. Plus there's nowhere local to me that have any in stock, I'd prefer to find a shop with a few to try them out.

Also I've heard good things about Lakland and Sadowski but again there's nowhere local that really sells them local.

Frustrating 😒

Lakland and Sadowsky are both good prospects, going on your stated preferences. The Lakland, however, is a 35 inch scale. With a budget of £2000 you could easily pick up a used Sadowsky Metroline, either made in Japan or, preferably in my opinion, a more recent made in Germany example.

I was sceptical when Sadowsky went into partnership with Warwick, but I've been proved completely wrong by the stunning quality of the Metroline basses turned out in Germany. The more recent examples are chambered just like the NYC models and all the hardware and preamp is top notch. They are beautifully put together, too. The five string version is 34 inch scale with 19mm spacing and the low B sounds great. 

• Like 3

We know so far:

- 5 string J

- J pickups

- 34"

- tight string spacing

- thin maple neck

There should be lots of such basses. Some brands:

Lull, Sadowsky, Vincent, Sandberg...

I have Status Graphite and Warwick active 5-string basses - I like them.

I don't have a Dingwall or Strandberg headless multiscale bass, but if I had £2k I'd be looking at them.

Alternatively my £2k could get me a set of Moog Taurus pedals or a Chapman Stick.

2 hours ago, mattwarrillow said:

Hi Folks thanks for you feedback so far. I'll give a few more details to elaborate on what I'd like.

Also I've heard good things about Lakland and Sadowski but again there's nowhere local that really sells them. Frustrating 

Hi Matt - depending where you are based, someone on here might be able to let you have a go on their Fender Ultra?

• Like 2

I was going to suggest Stingray5 the moment I read the thread title. For me it's the absolute best 5 string bass ever (also with a skinny neck BTW). That aside, taking your preferences into account...

I'm a skinny neck freak myself too. I haven't owned that many Jazz 5ers, but I've played MANY. My Jazz 5er nowadays is a MarkBass Gloxy Val GV 5. Skinniest neck in a Jazz 5er I've ever played. Also best sounding Jazz I've owned ('70s spacing kinda' barking tone). Also VERY responsive, It starts growling with less diggin' in than any other Jazz I've played. Superb preamp with a passive switch too if you prefer passive. WAY below your budget, I know, still an AWESOME 5 string Jazz. I prefer this one over almost any Jazz Bass style 5er I've owned. Only thinner necked 5ers I've played are Schecters. There's the Schecter Diamond J 5 string model. It just sounds like a more "normal" Jazz Bass (much less "in your face" than the MarkBass). I have only played 2 German Sadowsky Metros (and 1 Chinese Metro Express), all nice skinny necks. The Gloxy plays as nice, but sounds way better for my taste.

Maruszczyk Elwood is another great option. I've seen them go for as low as 700€ used here (for a 5er). Neck is a modern C shape, it's fine, just not as skinny as the MarkBass Gloxy. Just avoid the big pole Delano pickups (really hated those on a Maruszczyk Jake 5a+ I owned, and every single Sandberg I play with them, dark, huge EQ dip around 600hz, damm DEADlanos), choose something different.

Edited by andruca

On 04/08/2024 at 09:04, mattwarrillow said:

Andertons have Sadowsky MetroExpress basses in stock, and if there's something else you'd want I'm sure they could order it in now they're an official dealer, but the next line up (MetroLine) is probably out of your price range.

Going to throw my (biased) hat in the ring - MTD Kingston series. A bit below £2k, but if you want to spend your whole budget then you can spend it on the pickups. That would almost bring it inline with the US built stuff (apart from it not being hand built)

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

...was playing a Pensa 5 active Jazz which sounded and looked amazing. 

Sure, and the price is also amazing. It is most likely far from that £2k limit.

If you like slightly tighter (18 mm)string spacing then another option might be a used Yamaha BB NE2.

Jazz Bass pickups, superb preamp and build quality is as good as it gets at any price, no exaggeration. Sounds amazing, plays effortlessly, usually weighs somewhere between about 9 1/2 and 10 pounds. 

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3

On 04/08/2024 at 16:04, mattwarrillow said:

This is why we have Bassbashes...:)  Depending on where you live, it might be worth asking anyone attending to bring their 5er jazz bass for you to have a go on.  The market is saturated with choice - in addition to Sadowsky and Lakland there is Sire, Goodfellow, FGN, Moon, Markbass, Blade, Spector (super fat necks though) amongst many many others.  Sire has been somewhat of a game changer in recent years and are fairly accessible so would probably be first of my list to try. Followed by some of the japanese brands such as Blade, FGN and Moon. 

• Like 1

I would honestly go with this exact bass - handmade, Bartolini & East electronics which are the best there are. Sei Basses are unbelievable and you’re getting a lot more instrument for your money than picking up a Fender at the same price, a LOT more

• Like 4