Why become a member? ×

On 07/08/2024 at 11:48, Paddy777 said:

I fully get this as well - one of my favourite basses to play live is a Sadowsky MetroExpress PJ5 and I pick it over basses that cost 3 and 4 times as much, I also preferred my Sire P7 to pretty much all my other basses when I had it. Objectively it’s easiest to say “what’s best” but yeh what’s best is what you play and go “oh this is amazing” and if that only costs £600 or whatever then go with it anyway and save the dough, definitely agree with that 

Totally get where you are coming from with this. There's something very liberating about enjoying a bass that isn't holding you to randsome. I'm looking at getting a Sire or similar for that very reason. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Misdee said:

If you can cope with the G string sliding off the edge of the fingerboard, same as all the EBMM five string basses.

Never had an issue, never knew that it was a thing, either.

In hindsight, I genuinely adored the bass; I loved how quirky it was.  Honestly wish I'd spent a bit more time under the hood.  It was way too hot.

I don't mean this at all negatively, but it sounds like the OP isn't too sure on quite a few details?

This is a great position to be in - there's a lot out there to try!

It's simply untrue that there's a 'best' instrument on the market; it's even very difficult to confidently endorse a particular model. 

The reality is, instruments are unique and personal and whilst you can be more confident in the QC of some production instruments, there is no guarantee that any two basses will be so similar as to be considered equal. For this reason, IMO it's always good to be healthily sceptical about reference to the superiority of any one model over another; there are good, bad and different under every name. 

A trip to Bass Direct, nr Warwick would give you hands-on experience of many new and used instruments in a broad range of prices. You can compare specs and may find 'The One', even at a much lower price than you'd budgeted! You can take your own amp to try the basses with too.

Try not to be in a rush wherever you go and enjoy the process.

All the very best!

• Like 1