Why become a member? ×

Freddie Washington.

After watching that Freddie Washington vid i listened to this.  Listening to this record has taken up my ears for today. Fabulous record,  Fabulous bass playing. Tight studio Washington bass playing on a Ken Smith. 

.Arrangements and drums and vocals by Phil Collins who i think is so so tallented... the Freddie Washington vid is below.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I really like the "Musician Behind" videos presented by Mason Marangella on his 'Vertex' channel. He gets to chat with some of the great musicians from the golden session era. The chap has great ears and asks all the right, nerdy questions. 

This one with Freddie is another gem. The Lee Ritenour video is also worth a watch and listen.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

Freddie also played Bass on 'Loco in Acapulco' from the 'Buster' album.

The great Gene Page wrote the arrangement and conducted on this one. I might be mistaken, but I thought he also arranged 'Two Hearts'? The string arranging does sound like his style.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Freddy also played Bass on 'Loco in Acapulco' from the 'Buster' album.

The great Gene Page wrote the arrangement and conducted on this one. I might be mistaken, but I thought he also arranged 'Two Hearts'? The string arranging does sound like his style.

I think you can kind of hear his bass playing. Its very strict. The way he holds a note. Totally for the record and the odd slap here and there. 

Edited by bubinga5

His playing on this is one of the greatest. If you take the bass away you dont have alot. His slap isnt flash, its just for the record and fills the record... Patrice wrote this on the piano i believe. Freddie worked out the bass on his 72 P bass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

His playing on this is one of the greatest. If you take the bass away you dont have alot. His slap isnt flash, its just for the record and fills the record... Patrice wrote this on the piano i believe. Freddie worked out the bass on his 72 P bass. 

Doesn't he say in the vid that he noodled the line and it was taken to her, from which she penned the song?

• Like 1