Why become a member? ×

Loosening up old machine heads

I've got an old acoustic guitar that's been sitting up in the barn for a few months and the machine heads are quite stiff. 

What's the best way of loosening them up? 

If I take them off is there something I can soak them in to clean and lubricate them?

They're the open back kind. 

Cheers. 

White spirit to clean them and Vaseline for lubrication ( never thought I’d be writing that here…)

Avoid WD40 and light oils as they can make a mess and drip everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it cleaned up ok, but I think I'll take @BigRedX's advice and order a new set of machine heads before I re string it next time. 

It's not really worth a lot so I'm not too precious about keeping the original ones. Although it's a good few years old now. Late 60's early 70's, and plays beautifully. 

The only thing I'm not sure about is how I get the right ones so I don't have to drill new holes. Are these things pretty standard or is it just a case of measuring? 

IMG_20240805_173045.jpg

Hmm. 

On second thoughts it might have to be a clean and lube after all. 

Having looked at all the replacement machine heads on Thomann they all seem to screw in at a 12 and 6 o'clock position. These are more of a 1 and 7 o'clock position and I really don't want to drill new holes. 

IMG_20240805_231939.jpg

• Like 1

Just unscrew the geared wheel of each tuner and put some vaseline under on the friction part, it will work very well afterwards and your Eko will hold its value.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Having looked at all the replacement machine heads on Thomann they all seem to screw in at a 12 and 6 o'clock position. These are more of a 1 and 7 o'clock position and I really don't want to drill new holes. 

Have a look at www.projectguitarparts.co.uk

They have listed a set of 6 Eko Ranger machine heads for £34.

From the picture of them they seem to have the same screw configuration as yours. 🙂

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Got some? 

I've never even heard of it. 😂

Easily found at any decent Bulgarian Halfords equivalent.

I would suggest stripping down each of the tuners, and using some Scotchbrite or wire wool to clean up the tuning posts and worm gear threads, plus applying some grease (moly or copper grease).

Edit: As I happen to have an Eko Ranger 6 to hand, I've just had a look, and I'd also clean up the outer face of the main frame of the tuner, where the tuning key passes through. The tuners on mine aren't too bad and they haven't had any maintenance in about 40 years.

Edited by tauzero
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

From the picture of them they seem to have the same screw configuration as yours. 🙂

Superb. Thanks. They look like a direct replacement. If I can't clean them up and free them off I'll get a set of these. Cheers. 👍

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Easily found at any decent Bulgarian Halfords equivalent.

I would suggest stripping down each of the tuners, and using some Scotchbrite or wire wool to clean up the tuning posts and worm gear threads, plus applying some grease (moly or copper grease).

Edit: As I happen to have an Eko Ranger 6 to hand, I've just had a look, and I'd also clean up the outer face of the main frame of the tuner, where the tuning key passes through. The tuners on mine aren't too bad and they haven't had any maintenance in about 40 years.

Thanks. Copper grease I do have. 😁

It’s amazing what a little maintenance can do for tuners. I was set to toss the tuners on an old UniVox HiFlier , but after a clean and lube they worked like new.
Made me wonder how many perfectly good ones get tossed.

• Like 2

On 04/08/2024 at 17:33, casapete said:

White spirit to clean them and Vaseline for lubrication ( never thought I’d be writing that here…)

Avoid WD40 and light oils as they can make a mess and drip everywhere. 

Well, taking them off would be the first step! 🙂

• Haha 2

On 06/08/2024 at 09:43, casapete said:

£34???

It's an Eko guitar, and while it might have some nostalgic qualities, let's face it back in the day no-one bought one out of choice. They were bought because we couldn't afford anything good. Having said that my Kimbara acoustic bought for about £30 in 1974 out performs all the Eko guitars I have played. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

£34???

It's an Eko guitar, and while it might have some nostalgic qualities, let's face it back in the day no-one bought one out of choice. They were bought because we couldn't afford anything good. Having said that my Kimbara acoustic bought for about £30 in 1974 out performs all the Eko guitars I have played. 

I saw an Eko 12-string two weeks ago; I have to say I was impressed that it still existed intact.

8 hours ago, msb said:

It’s amazing what a little maintenance can do for tuners. I was set to toss the tuners on an old UniVox HiFlier , but after a clean and lube they worked like new.
Made me wonder how many perfectly good ones get tossed.

I'd agree whole-heartedly with this.

I've rescued a few sets of old/cheap/knackered machine heads with a little patience and some White Lithium Grease. I take the tuners to bits, clean off any crapola from the gears with an old toothbrush then give them a clean with some Brasso (and occasionally steel wool.) A squirt of the aforementioned grease works wonders and has saved some perfectly good tuners from the bin for a minimal financial outlay. 

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

£34???

Agreed, down to the OP to decide the cost of his nostalgic refurb.

When I was at school in the early 70’s, Eko guitars were often the first ‘reasonable’ guitar people had.

I had an Eros jumbo which was quite similar - bolt on neck and very overbuilt but at least they stood 

a lot of rough use (without luxuries like hard cases to carry them around in) and played okay as well.

Think the Eko brand has recently made a resurgence with some reissues too.