Why become a member? ×

Loosening up old machine heads

Tinfoil, white vinegar and the aforementioned lithium grease will get them up and running, realistically a little coating of any sort of grease should be fine, even basic machine grease, bike chain lube, vaseline etc. Can most likely refurb those with stuff you have lying around the house.

Sweet barn btw!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, prowla said:

I saw an Eko 12-string two weeks ago; I have to say I was impressed that it still existed intact.

Budget acoustic instruments are usually built very heavily, not what vintage connoisseurs are looking for but they have the advantage of not folding up on themselves after a few decades.

A mate of mine has an ancient Columbus 12 string Gibson copy which hasn't needed any fettling in the 20+ years he's owned it, has always had a low action and sounds lovely despite being built like a tank. He paid around £60 for it (with case) back when it was hideously uncool to play those types of brands. Around the same time I passed up on an Aria SJ200 copy, really regret not buying that as they've put on some serious value!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

£34???

It's an Eko guitar, and while it might have some nostalgic qualities, let's face it back in the day no-one bought one out of choice. They were bought because we couldn't afford anything good. Having said that my Kimbara acoustic bought for about £30 in 1974 out performs all the Eko guitars I have played. 

I bought my Eko Ranger 6 back in 1984 because it was a good guitar. I still have it. I rather miss the Ranger 12 I used to have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

£34???

It's an Eko guitar, and while it might have some nostalgic qualities, let's face it back in the day no-one bought one out of choice. They were bought because we couldn't afford anything good. Having said that my Kimbara acoustic bought for about £30 in 1974 out performs all the Eko guitars I have played. 

I've got a couple of cheap £2-300 acoustic guitars knocking around. Freshman and Lindo, and while they're very much both budget guitars, the Eko is loads better both in build and sound quality. Having been gifted it and not knowing anything about them I was extremely surprised to find out that they were a cheap guitar given the quality. Maybe they just aged well I don't know. I've played my mates 3K Taylor and I actually prefer the Eko.