Why become a member? ×

Precision Bass Bitsa: Quality Components (Allparts, Tonerider, Alpha, CTS, Fender); Price drop £150 ono, Posting Options - *SOLD*
£160
Fakenham, Norfolk, UK

Obrienp

Now sold.

My purchaser bought the amp I was selling instead, so this is back on the market with a price drop. Now added post/courier options at end of post.

This is a Precision Bass build made from quality components. I would prefer to sell it as a complete bass but I might be prepared to dismantle and sell the main components individually; i.e. neck, body.

The bass comprises an Allparts Licensed '51 precision bass neck finished in Satin, with bone nut and Wilkinson vintage style machine heads on an Ash 60s style precision body finished in clear poly. Vintage brown tortoise shell scrtachplate; Tonerider TP1 pickup, Alpha full sized volume pot and full sized CTS audio taper tone pot (both 250K) with Orange drop .047 cap, cloth wiring and either Switchcraft, or Pure Tone jack socket (can't remember which I used). All cavities and scratch plate are shielded with copper tape. The bridge is a Fender high mass unit with brass saddles and it has Schaller strap buttons for their locking system (I can change them to standard buttons if you would prefer). It is fitted with D'Addario EXL170 45-100 nickel round wounds, which are about a month old.

The neck was on another bass before this one but has minimal fret wear. You will see from the pics that I had to trim the baseplates of the Wilkinson machine heads a bit to get them to fit. Maybe not entirely pretty but they work well. There is little ding on the back of the neck (barely 1mm deep), which I have tried to show in one of the pics and a pencil mark on the back of the neck (see photo) which doesn't want to come out. There are a couple of marks on the body. One on the back where muggins managed to drill through when drilling the channel for the bridge earth wire (in my defence those long bits do flex a lot). This is filled with wood filler but visible if not huge and a bit of milkiness in the poly by the bridge (I had to drill two sets of holes as I tried a couple of different necks before fixing on the '51).

There is a bit about the bass build/assembly in this thread, I case it is of interest. Note the bass now has a different scratch plate and the pickup lines up better with the strings as a result. Also I tried a couple of different necks on the body before going back to the '51 neck. I have now shimmed the neck, so the action can go pretty low, if you want it to.: 

IMO it sounds just like a good Precision bass should and plays nicely. So why am I selling? Simply put, it is like a 70s P Bass in weight :much too heavy for me now that I have a bad back and arthritis. It weighs almost 5Kg (11lbs), most of this weight being in the Ash body, so no danger of neck dive! I also find full sized basses hard to play now I have arthritis in my left thumb.

As I said I would prefer to sell this as a complete bass but I would be willing to split, if you want either the neck or the body. I'm not really interested in selling the bridge, or pickup on their own. You get a lot of quality components for not much if you buy the whole bass and I have priced it to be a bargain (given the cost of the components - neck alone was £250).

You are welcome to try and buy in Fakenham, Norfolk. I have now bought a shipping box, so can now ship. Cost to UK mainland would be: ParcelForce Express 48 £20, Express 24 £22. I can also drive to meet up for exchange within 50 miles of Fakenham.

IMG_1074.jpeg

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg

IMG_1081.jpeg

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_0858.jpeg

Edited by Obrienp
The body is Ash not Alder. Doh!
  • Like 5

• Obrienp changed the title to Precision Bass Bitsa: Quality Components (Allparts, Tonerider, Alpha, CTS, Fender); £150 ono,
5 minutes ago, Kevdbass said:

Any shipping on this one?😊

Can do but I need to source an appropriate shipping box. If you are interested I can ask my local PMT if they can give me one they were going to throw out.

Posted (edited)
On 13/08/2024 at 23:59, Obrienp said:

Can do but I need to source an appropriate shipping box. If you are interested I can ask my local PMT if they can give me one they were going to throw out.

@Kevdbass OK. Shipping: I have now got hold of a very nice Squier shipping box and have over- boxed it with one I had from Thoman. UK mainland by Parcel force would be £20 for Express 48 and £22 for Express 24. Full transparency: this includes the cost of the box (£5).

Edited by Obrienp

• Obrienp changed the title to Precision Bass Bitsa: Quality Components (Allparts, Tonerider, Alpha, CTS, Fender); SOLD