Why become a member? ×

Pedal power - Fuzz switch pop advice?

Sibob

TL;DR - Can daisy-chaining power increase switch pop intensity?

So, I have the following board:

IMG_1869.thumb.jpeg.01992cef58a83552265960a7fcd718a2.jpeg

It’s a new build really, and I took it out on a gig last night to test it (haven’t had a chance to test at home, new baby and all that). However, the Heaby fuzz was unusable because of the significant switch pop that was exploding through my speakers if I clicked it on. Now I don’t necessarily think that it’s the Heaby at fault here, I think it might be how I’m powering the board, and wanted to get others advice…

…The whole board is being powered by a Cioks DC5, with each pedal receiving 100mA of power, although the following 3 pedals are receiving their 100mA daisy-chained from a single 300mA port: 

Heaby Russian Fuzz

TC Chorus

COG 66 Mini

So…thoughts? 
- Should I be changing which pedals are in the 3-way daisy? The Chorus needs 68mA, having an effect on the Fuzz perhaps?

- Should I ditch the single 3-way daisy in favor of 2x power splitters? (Ie 4 pedals share 2 ports rather than 3 pedals sharing 1).

- Should I suck up getting a DC7 instead?

Perhaps none of the above is having an effect on this Heaby switch pop?

None of the other pedals were popping, and I swapped the board out for my main one on the gig, which has a COG Fuzz on it at equally high gain…nowhere near as significant a pop.

Ramble over, cheers!

Si

Edited by Sibob

3 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I actually commented on your post on TB about a TB loop pedal if you're totally sold on the tone. LOL

Ah yeah thanks, I’d almost certainly just swap the fuzz, as the pedal in question is only on loan to me currently, so we’ll see 🙂

Cheers

Si

• Like 1

On 04/08/2024 at 21:07, Sibob said:

TL;DR - Can daisy-chaining power increase switch pop intensity?

So, I have the following board:

IMG_1869.thumb.jpeg.01992cef58a83552265960a7fcd718a2.jpeg

It’s a new build really, and I took it out on a gig last night to test it (haven’t had a chance to test at home, new baby and all that). However, the Heaby fuzz was unusable because of the significant switch pop that was exploding through my speakers if I clicked it on. Now I don’t necessarily think that it’s the Heaby at fault here, I think it might be how I’m powering the board, and wanted to get others advice…

…The whole board is being powered by a Cioks DC5, with each pedal receiving 100mA of power, although the following 3 pedals are receiving their 100mA daisy-chained from a single 300mA port: 

Heaby Russian Fuzz

TC Chorus

COG 66 Mini

So…thoughts? 
- Should I be changing which pedals are in the 3-way daisy? The Chorus needs 68mA, having an effect on the Fuzz perhaps?

- Should I ditch the single 3-way daisy in favor of 2x power splitters? (Ie 4 pedals share 2 ports rather than 3 pedals sharing 1).

- Should I suck up getting a DC7 instead?

Perhaps none of the above is having an effect on this Heaby switch pop?

None of the other pedals were popping, and I swapped the board out for my main one on the gig, which has a COG Fuzz on it at equally high gain…nowhere near as significant a pop.

Ramble over, cheers!

Si

I had a similar issue a while ago with a daisy chained drive pedal which would pop really loudly when switched on and off. It's on a small board that I mess around with at home so not really looking to spend a big chunk of money on a decent isolated power supply.

Anyway, I managed two solve the problem with a Joyo Zgpw power filter thingy. I plugged it inline before the problem pedal and it worked without the annoying pop. I can't see why it wouldn't also solve your issue too.

JOYO Zgpw Usb Powered Guitar Effect Pedal Power Supply And Isolated Noise Filter

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Osiris said:

I had a similar issue a while ago with a daisy chained drive pedal which would pop really loudly when switched on and off. It's on a small board that I mess around with at home so not really looking to spend a big chunk of money on a decent isolated power supply.

Anyway, I managed two solve the problem with a Joyo Zgpw power filter thingy. I plugged it inline before the problem pedal and it worked without the annoying pop. I can't see why it wouldn't also solve your issue too.

JOYO Zgpw Usb Powered Guitar Effect Pedal Power Supply And Isolated Noise Filter

Thanks, I’ll take a look. 

Si

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look. 

Si

The final line of text in my post above should be a link but obviously isn't 🙄 but if you Google it you'll soon find one, they're usually no more than £15. 

• Like 2

So I’ll put this thread to bed, after playing about with placement, buffer & powering options, the Heaby, as good as it sounds, was still thumping when switched. It would resolve when switched a few times, discharging that DC build up it seems, but then would build up again after a few minutes, which is a non-starter for me.

Put my Fuzzdog Green Russian Fuzz back on the board and its switch is always super quiet, only a very mild click when switched.

So yeah, done and done 🙂

Cheers

Si

• Like 3