Why become a member? ×

Peavey T40

1 minute ago, Jackroadkill said:

Sheesh, why would you bother?!

"This is a bass guitar, so if you like bass guitar and play bass guitar, buy this bass guitar and be a bass player you like"

But, but allegedly it’s a must for anyone who wants “to add a touch of vintage style to their playing”

wtf does this even mean? 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to find out if AI descriptions have helped or hindered eBay profits. As soon as I read one it puts me off buying the item even if it’s something good. Has the AI algorithm been fed sales pitch from a 1970’s Ronco or Ktel TV advert? I saw a listing for a eurorack module and AI did not describe what the item was or did at all, although it said it had shiney lights and looked nice……

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ash said:

It would be interesting to find out if AI descriptions have helped or hindered eBay profits. As soon as I read one it puts me off buying the item even if it’s something good. Has the AI algorithm been fed sales pitch from a 1970’s Ronco or Ktel TV advert? I saw a listing for a eurorack module and AI did not describe what the item was or did at all, although it said it had shiney lights and looked nice……

The main problem is AI knows nothing about the individual item being sold, it’s condition, how it has been used, if it’s been serviced or cared for, if it was bought new etc etc. It can add generic information or hyperbole but that’s not what a buyer wants to hear. AI is not a substitute for common sense.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, tegs07 said:

But, but allegedly it’s a must for anyone who wants “to add a touch of vintage style to their playing

wtf does this even mean? 

Sounds exactly like it would come from He Who Shall Not Be Named.

• Haha 2

I'm wondering if the idiot AI description's becoming so ubiquitous (even for fairly uncommon/sought-after instruments like this) so no-one can accuse the seller of being wilfully misleading in their ad.

Nah.They're just lazy b@st@rds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 05/08/2024 at 15:34, Hellzero said:

And the most important part has been been forgotten... The weight, unless it's what the name says. 👹

Everyone knows that. The clue is in the name. 40 tons.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I'm wondering if the idiot AI description's becoming so ubiquitous (even for fairly uncommon/sought-after instruments like this) so no-one can accuse the seller of being wilfully misleading in their ad.

Nah.They're just lazy b@st@rds.

People must think that the pseudo marketing text generated is better than simply saying it's in good nick and maybe putting on the odd detail like scale length or string spacing. Who knows, for the less discerning player and potential purchaser, this may be true.

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

People must think that the pseudo marketing text generated is better than simply saying it's in good nick and maybe putting on the odd detail like scale length or string spacing. Who knows, for the less discerning player and potential purchaser, this may be true.

Less experienced, as well.  If you don't know what to look for, then this sort of stuff does at least give you a vague idea that people think it might be important.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/08/2024 at 16:35, Burns-bass said:

These the ones with the leather-ette pickguard?

Nope.

The only option from Meridian was 3 ply B/W/B.

2 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Sold for £699

Glad to hear that. I still have one, it's in bits but if they're bringing that kind of cash it'd be worth the half hour to stick it back together 🙂

6 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Would be tempted by a reasonably light well used left handed version. Good luck needed to find one I reckon

You don't need luck, you need a doorway into an alternative universe 🤣

Later T-40s were lighter but none of the T- series basses had left handed options. Hartley didn't think left handed instruments were economically viable until the mid 80's. By that time the T-series were on the road out, only reason they kept building until late 87 was to use up all the parts the stores dept had.