Why become a member? ×

Bands you love but dislike one or two of their songs a lot

Mine Brand x product album. Percy Jones John Giblin Mike Clark and Morris Peart Robin Lumley and john Goodsall.. off the top of my head 

However a tune with Phil Collins singing called Soho is irksome

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd and saw them at Knebworth in 1976, but I dislike Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird, and yet I liked them at the time.

Maybe it's because too many of the cover bands I've seen over the years play them badly.😉

Edited by thebrig

Going back to the 80's, Prefab Sprout produced several albums of really beautifully written and well crafted songs.

But mention this band to most people and all they remember is "hot dog, jumping for, Alburquerque"

I would guess they must still get pretty annoyed when people only remember that one silly song.  :(

And - PS - Martin McAloon was an excellent bass player.

• Like 2

Mmm...Anthrax bring the noise , Led Zep dazed and confused ..and Kashmir . Chilli peppers under the fridge , faith no more I'm easy .

Soundharden Black hole sun . Motorhead orgasmatron , eat the rich . Iron Maiden can I play with madness, bring your daughter to the slaughter , women in uniform . Guns and roses sweet child of mine , knocking on heavens door . Judas Priest Johnny b Goode , united

Black sabbath planet caravan , changes. Sacred reich the rap track on the American waty album. Metallica : wow ! So many to choose from .. whiskey in the jar , unforgiven , of wolf and men , so many more . Rolling Stones angie, you can't always get what you want .

Aerosmith , I don't wanna miss a thing . Faith no more , falling to pieces .  Some of these are covers ,but don't like originals either .
probably more to follow at some point ..🙂

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

Funny that this thread should pop up as I've been having this internal discussion this last week about Biffy Clyro.

I'd hardly say I love the band, but there's a lot of their stuff I do like, but equally as much that I don't.

I don't think I have a band in my music collection quite as polarising of my opinion as this one.

Mark

Dire Straits, Calling Elvis, and Twisting by the Pool. 

Their first two albums are up there in my all time favourites. Like Making Movies, really like Love Over Gold, and don't mind Brothers in Arms, although the ultra modern production has dated badly. But those two singles - what on earth are they all about???

• Like 1

I like Tom Waits but went off him when he started growling though a mouthful of broken glass. I liked his earlier period when his songs were jazzier and I could actually make out what he was saying.

9 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Bowie released so much there must be a few stinkers in there, but I can't think of any except for some of the early Laughing Gnome era stuff.

Baal EP? ANd his Alabama Song has me reaching for the skip button as well

12 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Bowie released so much there must be a few stinkers in there, but I can't think of any except for some of the early Laughing Gnome era stuff.

I absolutely hated his drum n bass stuff.

1 hour ago, gjones said:

I like Tom Waits but went off him when he started growling though a mouthful of broken glass. I liked his earlier period when his songs were jazzier and I could actually make out what he was saying.

Funny you mention Tom Waits .

Where I used to work many moons ago, both of my bosses played his entire catalogue . Right up to 1999 when I moved on .

initially , I thought it was all tedious and painful . Bearing in mind listening at 7.30 am and various toms of the days to his jmaterial was hard work if you come from a heavy metal or ambient background like myself . 

over time , I got into it a bit and I think it made me more mature and tolerant . I think "step right up " is brilliant 😼👍

Listening to van morrison , ravi shankar, Edith Piaf , Bruce Springsteen and Dire straits was worse tbf .

( apologies to fans of the above . Just imho 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

I was a big Yes fan back in the day; still give their stuff a listen, now and again.

But.....'Drama'. Unlistenable shyte. 

Likewise Topographic - much easier digested in the live version on Yessongs. Post GFTO is a rollercoaster of quality (see also Genesis)

UB40 is a bit like this for me, their first album Signing off was superb for its time, and I like Kingston town as much as the original, impossible love is another I like to play, Earl Falconer is a great player imo , but there’s also a lot of tracks that I struggle to listen to, especially since they parted ways and there’s effectively 2 bands 

On 06/08/2024 at 11:20, thebrig said:

I love Lynyrd Skynyrd and saw them at Knebworth in 1976, but I dislike Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird, and yet I liked them at the time.

Maybe it's because too many of the cover bands I've seen over the years play them badly.😉

Oh yes, love Skynyrd but those two songs…. no. Sweet Home Alabama is in our set and I hate it. I never feel the band is tight on it and there are several much better LS songs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

Likewise Topographic - much easier digested in the live version on Yessongs. Post GFTO is a rollercoaster of quality (see also Genesis)

I spent some time thinking I didn't like that and then sat down and had a listen and found it to be rather good.

I've always struggled more with Relayer, so maybe I need to have another listen there too.