Why become a member? ×

Bands you love but dislike one or two of their songs a lot

Beatles - Yellow Submarine

Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness?

The Clash - At least half of Sandinista!

Dire Straits - Walk Of Life

EXP - Jimi Hendrix Experience

To be fair though, each of these have sold more units that I ever will, so I'm not really in a position to judge!

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I spent some time thinking I didn't like that and then sat down and had a listen and found it to be rather good.

I've always struggled more with Relayer, so maybe I need to have another listen there too.

I used to hang out with a guy who said Gates Of Delirium was 15 minutes of twaddle with 5 minutes of amazing at the end (referring to Soon). Funny how one persons opinion can put you off for a long time. Now I think that Gates is one of the most thrilling pieces of music ever, and I don't hang out with that person any more (there were more relevant reasons, but anyway)

Also, funny that The Remembering mentions Relayer in the lyrics. Nothing on Relayer does 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paul_5 said:

The Clash - At least half of Sandinista!

To be fair though, each of these have sold more units that I ever will, so I'm not really in a position to judge!

Even the most hardcore Clash fans I know can’t bring themselves to admit to liking all of Sandinista.

• Haha 1

I’m a huge Peter Gabriel fan, So being my favourite album of all time. However, the last offering, I/O, seems to be just rehashed versions of old tunes, with mixes that leave me lukewarm at best. I’m very disappointed.

12 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Dire Straits, Calling Elvis, and Twisting by the Pool. 

Their first two albums are up there in my all time favourites. Like Making Movies, really like Love Over Gold, and don't mind Brothers in Arms, although the ultra modern production has dated badly. But those two singles - what on earth are they all about???

Can we add Walk of Life to that hall of shame? Ghastly song on an otherwise sublime album. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Can we add Walk of Life to that hall of shame? Ghastly song on an otherwise sublime album. 

Oh my goodness, I had managed to blank that one from my memory. Didn't even remember it being part of Brothers in Arms!! Thanks, but not thanks for the reminder 🫤

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Can we add Walk of Life to that hall of shame?

Definitely, that cheesy keyboard sound is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I can't think of a single band that I like that doesn't have at least one song in their back catalogue that shouldn't have made it into the recording studio, let alone have been released to the public.

Yep.  The only bands I know that had no bad (according to my opinion/taste) songs are bands that split up early.  From back in the day, Joy Division had no poor releases, and I even like their more ragged Warsaw stuff, like  'Living in the Ice Age'. I can think of a few others too but bands that had some great releases that I love and also a few stinkers, well they number in the hundreds.

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

From back in the day, Joy Division had no poor releases, and I even like their more ragged Warsaw stuff, like  'Living in the Ice Age'.

What about their two tracks on Earcom 2? They are pretty poor (IMO)

On 08/08/2024 at 16:00, BigRedX said:

Not their best, certainly.  I think the only recording I will fast forward is Sister Ray, but that is a cover.

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Not their best, certainly.  I think the only recording I will fast forward is Sister Ray, but that is a cover.

That one "Love will tear us apart" is pretty grim.

On 08/08/2024 at 16:00, BigRedX said:

Love will tear us apart is about as cheesy and commercial as Joy Division gets (or got).  For grim have a listen to 'Decades'. music to string yourself up to.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2024 at 16:49, Mykesbass said:

Whole of that album for me. Love his earlier and much later stuff.

Not my favourite Springsteen album by a long way, but still has some gems - My hometown,

Cover me, I’m on fire and even Dancing in the dark which I didn’t like on first hearing but

grew into doing so after it being everywhere. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Love will tear us apart is about as cheesy and commercial as Joy Division gets (or got).  For grim have a listen to 'Decades'. music to string yourself up to.

Being around JD fans back in the day was demoralising at times. You felt some of them just wanted to 'rope', in modern parlance.

I love the Quo. What red blooded, meat eating, denim wearing specimen of prime manhood doesn't like a bit of earlier Quo up to the early 80's?

Paper Plane? Yes please. RollOver Lay Down? Go on then.  What You're Propisin'? He'll yeah!

But after that they went off course a bit and a couple were real Grade 1 stinkers.