Why become a member? ×

Bands you love but dislike one or two of their songs a lot

10 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I love the Quo. What red blooded, meat eating, denim wearing specimen of prime manhood doesn't like a bit of earlier Quo up to the early 80's?

Paper Plane? Yes please. RollOver Lay Down? Go on then.  What You're Propisin'? He'll yeah!

But after that they went off course a bit and a couple were real Grade 1 stinkers.

I'm proposing In the Army Now...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

I’ll raise you with ‘Living on an island’, and then ‘Marguerita Time’.

(Their original bassist Alan Lancaster disliked MT that much that he refused to

appear on TOTP promoting it so the band got Jim Lea from Slade to mime along.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

(Their original bassist Alan Lancaster disliked MT that much that he refused to

appear on TOTP promoting it so the band got Jim Lea from Slade to mime along.)

OK, seriously trumped there!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I love the Quo. What red blooded, meat eating, denim wearing specimen of prime manhood doesn't like a bit of earlier Quo up to the early 80's?

Paper Plane? Yes please. RollOver Lay Down? Go on then.  What You're Propisin'? He'll yeah!

But after that they went off course a bit and a couple were real Grade 1 stinkers.

Me - I was sure I'd bought a box set of their albums, but I couldn't find it so maybe I binned it.

My recollection is that I couldn't find a single song I could bear listening to.

20 hours ago, alyctes said:

'Silver Machine'.  (Caveat:  I know no Hawkwind after PXR5.)

I agree it's not great, but mitigating circs: last Lemmy vocal with 'Wind; nothing else sounded like that in the charts at the time (I thought it was great and the rest of the chart not); it made me (introverted teenager) feel cool listening to it - it gave me something to dance to at parties. Do I listen to it now? Er, no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kitsto said:

I agree it's not great, but mitigating circs: last Lemmy vocal with 'Wind; nothing else sounded like that in the charts at the time (I thought it was great and the rest of the chart not); it made me (introverted teenager) feel cool listening to it - it gave me something to dance to at parties. Do I listen to it now? Er, no.

Much truth in this. I no longer like much of the music I listened to when I was an introverted teenager. It was of its time and suited me and what I was then. We change as we age and so do our tastes.

• Like 1

I seem to have this tendency to block out the stuff I don't like (see Dire Straits contribution earlier in the thread), so only thought of these two tracks by an artist I love that I think are pretty awful; Bob Marley - Iron, Lion, Zion and Buffalo Soldier. I get the historical significance of the latter, just find the hook butt-clenchingly naff. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Buffalo Soldier. I get the historical significance of the latter, just find the hook butt-clenchingly naff. 

Is that the one where The Banana Splits should have had a lawsuit going? 😆

• Haha 1

On 14/08/2024 at 09:29, Mykesbass said:

On 14/08/2024 at 10:43, casapete said:

I love all of those, especially In The Army Now.

• Like 1