Why become a member? ×

Stand alone or rack pre amps ( good serviceable) inexpensive used obscure cheapish 2

JottoSW1

I'll tag other  people I have talked to here on basschat.

I have an old modest trace elliot 2 channel power amp. 

How would u use it, what preanps or set ups would you fooster around with 4 a long time.

Me an SWr interstellar overdrive or Marcus Miller Box of tricks.... 

Edited by JottoSW1

• JottoSW1 changed the title to Stand alone or rack pre amps ( good serviceable) inexpensive used obscure cheapish 2

The late BP had a good rack preamp shootout. There were Alembic, tce, and many others. You may find it somewhere. SWR Mini MO would be different, but nearly impossible to find.

As your power amp has two channels, have you considered biamping your possible rig? Highs could have fx, and the low end could be pure lows.

I don't have a biamp system, but drive my fx boards with a X-over tuned to 400 Hz.

I’ve still got both the SWR Grand Prix and Marcus Miller preamps cluttering the place up here. The MM is a serious bit of kit, but completely overkill for my modest needs. The Grand Prix is a much simpler and more valvey sounding pre, but is superseded by pedal pre’s such as my EBS Stanley Clarke. 
I run either through the marvellous little 1/2 U SWR Amplite power amp which is tiny but rated at 400W into 4ohms. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across this as I run various preamps into/with Trace Elliot kit. At the moment I use a Genzler Magellan preamp pedal into a TE GP7 with the EQ switched out which I imagine isn't far off the TE power amp you have. But I've also played around with a radial switcher (as below) for running two amps in parallel which sounds awesome so long as you don't mind carting around multiple cabs/amps. You could either go bass into the switchbone and then out to two preamps/poweramp/cab combinations (one dirty, one clean sounds great) or put a single preamp before the tonebone and then send the signal to two amp/cab combinations.

Screenshot2024-08-31at09_16_14.png.4c991a033aadefe2fd1cc51017c0abcc.png