Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady Fretless bass

MichaelDean

Well well well, finally someone makes an unlined fretless bass, praise the lord, miracles do happen. Just need Fender to wake up and follow suit and I'll be in heaven. I may have to get one of these now just because its unlined but I wish they had more colour options. Plus, I did play a fretted one once and found it mega uncomfortable but who knows, I may just give it a go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schnozzalee said:

Wow - I have a Peerless Smoked Bass Custom, but the finger is highlighted in Abalone, so I can't make it fretless.

If it's still made by that Co. with rosewood, this will be amazing.

These aren’t Peerless made anymore, but - having owned both era’s - there’s little to nothing between them

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2pods said:

Laurel finger board ?

Yeah - just reading up on Laurel.

By all accounts, remarkably similar - and more abundant than rosewood.

Hadn’t read up on it before, but obviously becoming more common in bass/guitar building.

• Like 1

The only reason I know about it is Epihone using it on guitars "Inspired By Gibson" for over a grand.

For that price I want Rosewood, or Ebony.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

It does look like a nice bass.

42 minutes ago, 2pods said:

The only reason I know about it is Epihone using it on guitars "Inspired By Gibson" for over a grand.

For that price I want Rosewood, or Ebony.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

It does look like a nice bass.

“Indian Laurel is not inferior..... (or superior) to the Rosewood in any way. In fact, it is very much on par with Rosewood and makes for an excellent substitute that does not significantly impact the feel and tone of your beloved instrument.” - From www.gjtonewood.com

🤷🏻‍♂️

This is the laurel board on my Gretsch skinny stringer next to the rosewood on my Precision Deluxe. The board on the Gretsch is completely untreated btw, I've never even oiled it.

20240809_172318.thumb.jpg.d6293a78763f839819b30be5465a5740.jpg

20240809_172151.thumb.jpg.dcb29382d1c982ca7a958ac45e28a7b7.jpg

I don't think they're vastly different.

I have seen some laurel that has a less attractive greyish hue to it but it's far from universal.

I imagine the new Casady basses will have a fair bit of variation in the boards from bass to bass.

Edited by Cato

2 minutes ago, Cato said:

This is the laurel board on my Gretsch skinny stringer next to the rosewood on my Precision Deluxe. The board on the Gretsch is completely untreated btw, I've never even oiled it.

20240809_172318.thumb.jpg.d6293a78763f839819b30be5465a5740.jpg

20240809_172151.thumb.jpg.dcb29382d1c982ca7a958ac45e28a7b7.jpg

I don't think they're vastly different.

I have seen some laurel that has a less attractive greyish hue to it but it's far from universal.

I imagine the new Casady basses will have a fair bit of variation in the boards from bass to bass.

Utterly boggin' ;)

• Haha 1