Why become a member? ×

Using sleeves to pack out control knobs.

Just bought some concentric pots (with solid shafts) for a project, I would have liked to have used some existing knobs but they're a little too big.  The concentric pots have 3/16th" and 1/4" diameter shafts.

I ordered some Allparts brass sleeves SKU# EP-0220-008 which will appear to fit, but beyond this, what's my option?

Just fixed an old Peavey PA up for a local bloke . They have 3/16 pot shafts and knobs are almost unobtainable . Used 1/4 knobs but applied a couple of small lengths of heatshrink to the 3/16 shaft .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnH89 said:

Just fixed an old Peavey PA up for a local bloke . They have 3/16 pot shafts and knobs are almost unobtainable . Used 1/4 knobs but applied a couple of small lengths of heatshrink to the 3/16 shaft .

Absolutely great call on the heatshrink.  I just had a quick test...requires a couple of short lengths to cover the individual shafts and applied one after another.  Works a treat.

Brilliant!  Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Absolutely great call on the heatshrink.  I just had a quick test...requires a couple of short lengths to cover the individual shafts and applied one after another.  Works a treat.

Brilliant!  Cheers!

No worries . Glad it helped you out 

I had a pair of knurled-shaft pots on a bass where I wanted to fit knobs made for solid shaft pots. To make it more difficult one of the sticky-out halves on one of the pot shafts had broken off. My solution to this was to mix up a small amount of milliput epoxy putty and use it to build up the pot shafts. It was very easy (and satisfying) to get the resultant diameter to match that of a solid shaft pot just by shaping it with my fingers, checking with a dial caliper gauge as well as eyeballing it and offering up one of the knobs to check the fit. I left it overnight and fitted the knobs the next day where they went on straight without issue.

• 2 weeks later...