Why become a member? ×

NAD: 1992 Gallien-Krueger 400RB

ossyrocks

Erm, I can't really believe this myself, but I'm probably picking up a 400RB MK-I this evening from a member here. There have been crazy coincidences surrounding this, and I still won't believe it until it's in my hands. I'll keep you posted.

And yes, I know, I'm hopeless.

Rob

• Like 1

Oh dear. This has to stop. I'm done now, unless someone comes up with an 800RB......

Back in February @The fasting showman listed a 400RB MKI. It was one here for a while, a couple of months, and at that time, they weren't on my radar. This was before I had heard @shug with his amp at Ribble Valley Jazz & Blues Festival, and I knew I had to try one. Anyway, the amp got withdrawn before it sold.

Very late last night I contacted Martin @The fasting showman, to see if he would reconsider his decision to withdraw the amp and sell it to me. "Perhaps" was the answer, but no postage. Then we realised he and his family were coming to stay in a cottage 12 minutes from my house, today!. The heavens aligned, and we met up this evening and the deal was done. We had a bit of a chinwag, much of which was in praise of these amps. @cetera I think Martin is still kicking himself over selling you his 800RB. 

So here we are, a MKI, MKII and a MKIII 400RB. I'm so chuffed I can't tell you.

Rob

IMG_3864.JPEG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice to meet you Rob, doubtless I'll kick myself for selling it...I'm currently in the where are they now file so glad it'll get used in anger. My 700rb will suffice.

As I was saying, the Backline 600 shares a lot of circuitry and parts with the mk3 and 4, because of their price point they're often neglected and treated as a utility item. If you get a good one they're great amps, often dirt cheap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2024 at 21:30, ossyrocks said:

Oh dear. This has to stop. I'm done now, unless someone comes up with an 800RB......

Back in February @The fasting showman listed a 400RB MKI. It was one here for a while, a couple of months, and at that time, they weren't on my radar. This was before I had heard @shug with his amp at Ribble Valley Jazz & Blues Festival, and I knew I had to try one. Anyway, the amp got withdrawn before it sold.

Very late last night I contacted Martin @The fasting showman, to see if he would reconsider his decision to withdraw the amp and sell it to me. "Perhaps" was the answer, but no postage. Then we realised he and his family were coming to stay in a cottage 12 minutes from my house, today!. The heavens aligned, and we met up this evening and the deal was done. We had a bit of a chinwag, much of which was in praise of these amps. @cetera I think Martin is still kicking himself over selling you his 800RB. 

So here we are, a MKI, MKII and a MKIII 400RB. I'm so chuffed I can't tell you.

Rob

IMG_3864.JPEG

You're gonna need an 800RB, though...

• Like 1

There's suddenly so much online interest in these that the CIA are going to start making enquiries...

Looking at the schematic of the 400 preamp (because I'm nosey and I've read this month's Viz), it looks like "flat" eq is with bass and treble at 12 o clock, and the mids both at max. Am I right?

1 minute ago, bremen said:

There's suddenly so much online interest in these that the CIA are going to start making enquiries...

Looking at the schematic of the 400 preamp (because I'm nosey and I've read this month's Viz), it looks like "flat" eq is with bass and treble at 12 o clock, and the mids both at max. Am I right?

They don't sound like that to me. Everything at noon seems to be where flat is, when compared with other amps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2024 at 11:21, ossyrocks said:

They don't sound like that to me. Everything at noon seems to be where flat is, when compared with other amps.

Yeah, I find the same with my 400RB

Though I guess what sounds 'flat' can be quite subjective & can depend on choice of cab, room acoustics etc...

Here's the settings that I perceive as 'flat'-ish, at least to my cloth ears with a couple of 12" Vanderkleys.

400RB settings.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick said:

Yeah, I find the same with my 400RB

Though I guess what sounds 'flat' can be quite subjective & can depend on choice of cab, room acoustics etc...

Here's the settings that I perceive as 'flat'-ish, at least to my cloth ears with a couple of 12" Vanderkleys.

400RB settings.jpg

We could, and perhaps should, do a whole thread on eq and gain settings on the RB series of amps.

I’m a big fan of higher boost settings, around 2 o’clock is where I’m at, and I’m not playing rock, it’s blues on a P bass with flats.

Rob

• Like 3