Why become a member? ×

Markbass intermittently dead

BillyHunt

So I've just bought a new Markbass Mini CMD 121. It was fine in the shop but when I got it home it was dead. The power light was on but it was completely silent. After about 30 minutes it just came on and has been fine since.

I've seen one or two threads discussing this issue elsewhere but they were more than a decade old. 

Is anyone aware if this is still an issue with Markbass. I just don't trust the damned thing now.

Thanks 

Edited by BillyHunt

That doesn’t sound good at all. I’d go straight back to the shop with it for an exchange. Used the exact same amp for years and that was never an issue. Sounds like you’ve ended up with a faulty one 😬

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Take it back.

Every brand on earth has an early failure stat. It happens.

I had an F1 head that was dead brand new in the box. Swapped it, and ran the replacement for years with no trouble at all.

Absolutely. I’ve had bits from Arturia and Ashdown that had to go straight back to the shop. Sometimes it’s just bad luck…

Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is, it's been fine since. I've been turning it on and off at every opportunity and it hasn't done it again. It's making me think that perhaps it was me being dozy.

I will give the dealer a ring on Monday and see if they'll change it though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2024 at 12:19, BillyHunt said:

Thanks for the replies. Funny thing is, it's been fine since. I've been turning it on and off at every opportunity and it hasn't done it again. It's making me think that perhaps it was me being dozy.

I will give the dealer a ring on Monday and see if they'll change it though.

What happened please?

• 3 weeks later...

As above have you eliminated the cause yet.

There is a history of speakon issues, I had this crop up on my old LMK after about 10 years use, but since hearing others with this problem and reading the similar stories on talk bass, I believe mine was a speaker lead issue too. As i had made up my own.  So we would all like to know if this has gone away. Thoughts were the amps Speakon connector don't like 4 pole Speakons, there is no logical explanation to support this as it should work if properly connected. But maybe 4 poles touching when twisted and locked in, halves the force/pressure on the 2 poles that matter. Try the jack out for speaker connection for while.  

2 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

As above have you eliminated the cause yet.

There is a history of speakon issues, I had this crop up on my old LMK after about 10 years use, but since hearing others with this problem and reading the similar stories on talk bass, I believe mine was a speaker lead issue too. As i had made up my own.  So we would all like to know if this has gone away. Thoughts were the amps Speakon connector don't like 4 pole Speakons, there is no logical explanation to support this as it should work if properly connected. But maybe 4 poles touching when twisted and locked in, halves the force/pressure on the 2 poles that matter. Try the jack out for speaker connection for while.  

Good suggestion. And make sure you are using genuine Speakons. I've had trouble with copies in the past.

Sorry for my very late reply. Thanks for all the responses. 

So I’ve still got it. I haven’t managed to replicate the fault if there was one, so I’m taking a chance. If it happens again I’ll just have to put up with a warranty repair.