Why become a member? ×

Sickly Jack Casady

I need a bit of hive mind on this headscratcher.  My Epi Jack Casady is havnig weird problems.  It works fine played normally, but as soon as I engage my overdrive, it feeds back like a mofo.  Normally, one needs to be pretty close to the amp to induce feedback and it's a slow build.  This is happening when I'm nowhere near my amp.

I was doing some checking tonight and I found that the transformer/coil was not securely fastened to the body inside the bass.  I tightened up the screw so it's all solid again but that wasn't it.  But during further testing, I was finding that with the volume on the bass turned all the way down, there was nothing coming out of the amp if no effects engaged.  But when I turned on my OD, I got output through the amp!  Also my harmoniser pedal was able to find a faint something to work with when engaged even when the volume is turned all the way down.  It's also noisy, and the compressor makes the background hiss worse.  I'm not having any issues with any of my other basses so I'm disinclined to blame anything on my pedalboard.

Ground appears to be connected because touching the bridge or the position indicators on the pots lessens the background noise.

I'm stumped - WTF is going on?

Has this suddenly come about, or might it always have been happening and you've just not used the OD with it?

Any environmental changes? Are you using it in a different room?

Is the OD a true bypass and before any other effects? Just a thought, if it's true bypass and very high input impedance, it might be picking up a very small signal because the volume control isn't an on-off switch.

38 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Has this suddenly come about, or might it always have been happening and you've just not used the OD with it?

Any environmental changes? Are you using it in a different room?

Is the OD a true bypass and before any other effects? Just a thought, if it's true bypass and very high input impedance, it might be picking up a very small signal because the volume control isn't an on-off switch.

It's been annoying me for a while, I first noticed it with my old OD pedal (TC Electronic Mojomojo) where it had two levels of OD and the JC would get angry with the higher level of OD. These days I use a Joyo Monomyth and I think the JC hates this one more.

I suspect I'm going to have to gut the JC and check all the wiring. Life is pain.

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

Whereabout is the transformer? Just wondering if there could be some signal induction from the pickup to the transformer.

Here it is - lives right next to it

EpiJCcoil.thumb.jpg.a8b0095e2f486201b7c8382f3d50d1d4.jpg

5 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I'm going to stick with inductive coupling as the answer then. ICBW of course.

Well, it's not supposed to happen, I can't imagine they put my coil in a special place versus all the other Jack Casady basses out there so perhaps my coil has gone bad in some nebulous way.  I wonder if some sort of shielding between the pickup and the coil might mollify it (although I'm pretty sure that's what the metal case that the coil is placed inside and potted/epoxied into place is for).  The other test would be to move the pickup out of the way (but still near a string) and then plug it in.  I'll be back...

Well, that was a lot of pricking about to achieve not much.  I tried removing the pickup, stringing it back up and then holding the pickup above the strings.  No feedback.  I tried putting a rudimentary copper shield between the coil and the pickup (more like a curtain really) but that did naff all - put it all back together again and back to feeding back with OD engaged.

It only happens when the amp gets involved - it doesn't happen through headphones straight out of the Monomyth.  I don't know what that means.

I think my next test would be to jump the pickup out of the circuit and wire it directly to a jack socket, see if that makes a difference.  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

To me it looks like the pedal is the culprit, not the bass, as you seem to generate a feedback loop with your amp.

You can try to remove the grounding in your pedal.

Did you try another overdrive, except the TC Electronic, of course?

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

To me it looks like the pedal is the culprit, not the bass, as you seem to generate a feedback loop with your amp.

You can try to remove the grounding in your pedal.

Did you try another overdrive, except the TC Electronic, of course?

There's the OD section of the Behringer BDI21 I guess I could test with.  What puzzles me is that this is only affecting the Jack Casady.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

And are you going straight to the amp or using the effects loop with your pedal?

Bass > Pedalboard > amp input

Try the pedalboard in the effects loop instead, for a test?

Edited by neepheid

Just now, Hellzero said:

So you have a pedalboard... How many pedals do you have on it and how are they wired?

bass > Boss TU-2 > Hotone Harmony pitch shifter/harmonizer/detuner > Yamaha CO-10MII compressor > Joyo Monomyth > amp