Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

If i ever have to witness this guy with his super talented guitar mates on Tiktok again im going to throw my phone in the bin. Its turning bass playing into a form of Mcdonalds. All 3 of them taking turns doing some incredible solo that just blows your mind.  Super fast, super clinical. Super bad taste imo... Look how incredible we are. But in the end there is no musical meat on the bone. Dont get me wrong hes a beast on the instrument but his playing and his platform after a while just bores me and my sister. . l have yet to see the guy play bass in a band. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Think of it in the sense that he's an entertainer rather than a musician. He's not making a career out of playing music, as such, but rather using a musical instrument as a prop to show off high-level muscular co-ordination exercises, not unlike a gymnast, say. There's clearly a market for it but just don't let the presence of a musical instrument trick you into thinking it's musical 😉

• Like 9

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Think of it in the sense that he's an entertainer rather than a musician. He's not making a career out of playing music, as such, but rather using a musical instrument as a prop to show off high-level muscular co-ordination exercises, not unlike a gymnast, say. There's clearly a market for it but just don't let the presence of a musical instrument trick you into thinking it's musical 😉

The problem with that is, he is a musician. The guy knows his shiz. The market maybe is the problem. Hes not Hadrien Feraud good but i would like to hear his playing in a musical context.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

If he was just some dude playing bass tastefully, you would never have heard of him. His appeal is doing the tasteless and artistically void. Fair play to him, he found a gap in a very crowded market and made something of it. He's a stunt pilot, though, not the lad who's going to get you to Malaga in an Airbus.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think it's important too not get worked up about what other Musicians do musically 

I'm not sure who you are talking about but if s/he is having fun playing a musical instrument it's probably a good thing compared to what they could be doing. 

My Generation had ridiculous nonsense like "Super Chops for Bass" and the "World's Fastest Tapper" but if that their is thing I say go for it!!

• Like 5

He recorded a few albums that are as boring as you would imagine.

On the other hand, he's making a lot of money (way more than when he was a luggages handler in a London airport) and it's a good thing for him.

At least he's earning money thanks to music, which is very difficult.

So congratulations for this!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

He recorded a few albums that are as boring as you would imagine.

On the other hand, he's making a lot of money (way more than when he was a luggages handler in a London airport) and it's a good thing for him.

At least he's earning money thanks to music, which is very difficult.

So congratulations for this!

100% this.

World has changed, just got to respect the algorithm!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Spot on. No emotion, no bum notes, no fingers squeaking on the strings, no feeling...that ain't rock and roll to me.

Technical excellence is a tool in the armoury, not the end in and of itself. It's great to have, but if that's all he has...

I do, however, wish I was his age and wasn't arthritic and permanently injured and had a fraction of his dexterity. 

Fair play though. It's his thing he's good at it, and id never knock anyone who actually gets out there and does it.

Edited by Bassfinger
Shocked at Katie Price.
  • Like 1

Im sure hes having a blast but what a waste of talent.. I mean its just bass huh. Here Iam trying like crazy to learn cello and I bet he could grab the thing off me and walk straight into the Albert Hall with five minutes practise. Hugely talented musician, extraordinary technical abilities and if he played a classical instrument he'd probably become world famous over night. I really do think he is that good.

Edited by diskwave
  • Like 1

Yeah, talented and successful. Where's my pitchfork? 

I'm fairly sure he'd cope just fine plodding along down The Frog & Gristle on a Friday night. 

There's plenty of revered bassists that I can't stand, and could claim that they just play pointlessly fast runs of notes that have very little musical merit, but I don't because clearly others like them. 

People like what Charles Berthoud does, otherwise he wouldn't keep popping up in places, and it showcases our favoured instrument to a wider audience. If that makes a few people delve deeper and even take up bass then I really can't see the problem. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

If i ever have to witness this guy with his super talented guitar mates on Tiktok again im going to throw my phone in the bin. Its turning bass playing into a form of Mcdonalds. All 3 of them taking turns doing some incredible solo that just blows your mind.  Super fast, super clinical. Super bad taste imo... Look how incredible we are. But in the end there is no musical meat on the bone. Dont get me wrong hes a beast on the instrument but his playing and his platform after a while just bores me and my sister. . l have yet to see the guy play bass in a band. 

So he’s better than you and he’s earning for playing.

Try not to be so jealous. It’s unbecoming.

I think he’s great and musical. 

WOW! Music taste is subjective! Whodathunkit???

• Like 13

Some strange comments here.

He is making a career out of music. He played in bands to fund his way through college.

You only see one side of him on the internet.

I don't like the playing of many successful bass players, but that's no reason to hate them.

He's a bass player making a success out of playing bass. IMO there are no downsides in that. Good on him.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Some strange comments here.

He is making a career out of music. He played in bands to fund his way through college.

You only see one side of him on the internet.

I don't like the playing of many successful bass players, but that's no reason to hate them.

He's a bass player making a success out of playing bass. IMO there are no downsides in that. Good on him.

And he’s encouraging loads of new players to pick up the instrument. Far more than old Grandpa Simpson up there ^ is doing.

• Like 5

I think it's just time moves on. The players who were revered say in the 70s or even 80s have now been surpassed technically. Whether one likes that or not is another thing.

I have no problem with him. He's excellent. He does well out of it all and as far as I'm seeing he's not harming anyone from doing so. If someone hired him for their band instead of me, I'd probably be more surprised that I'd got to a level where I'd actually be considered with someone like that.

It's all individually calibrated as to what we like or not. We are all the best at being ourselves and nobody will ever play exactly like us. I enjoy watching people who are better than me as I feel I might learn something and quite often do. I feel it's kind of inspiring to make oneself a better player.

Don't like the content? Don't watch it. Just as I don't watch clickbait tossers like Danny Sapko.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I liked his single Ca plane pour moi. He’s aged well. 

For an 85 year old wrestler, he's definitely doing well.

I don't think anyone would take him on to play Mustang Sally at the Dog and Duck. He'd be well suited to a prog band or whichever of the metal types involves 500 miles an hour riffing in unison with the guitar (death metal?).

• Like 1

I think generally music has nose dived. Why.? Because its too easy to do..There are no greats any more. Im 45 and i cant count on 5 fingers how many pioneers there are on the world music scene today. Its either underground greats or Taylor Swift. I remember when Madonna came out with some forever lasting pop records. Prince, George Micheal etc etc. Name one musical genius now that is in the charts. People dont want to put in the effort to learn the actual hard work of learning the theory of music any more. Sound like an old git dont i. 😆

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

So he’s better than you and he’s earning for playing.

Try not to be so jealous. It’s unbecoming.

I think he’s great and musical. 

WOW! Music taste is subjective! Whodathunkit???

Mate im not jealous. Far from it. I litteraly dont want to play like him at all. Im a bass player for music that is really special. I aim to be a Freddie Washington not a Charles.. cant remember his  last name.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I think generally music has nose dived. Why.? Because its too easy to do..There are no greats any more. Im 45 and i cant count on 5 fingers how many pioneers there are on the world music scene today. Its either underground greats or Taylor Swift. I remember when Madonna came out with some forever lasting pop records. Prince, George Micheal etc etc. Name one musical genius now that is in the charts. People dont want to put in the effort to learn the actual hard work of learning the theory of music any more. Sound like an old git dont i. 😆

IMG_7906.jpeg.f1184abd66c3e8ed41c462a4ab763877.jpeg

Try not to regurgitate Beato without thinking.

Music is easier to record and release. There is loads more of it. That’s as right as he was. The rest of his rant was embarrassing.

The good stuff is still there, you just have to sift through it a bit more. The quality of the good stuff is as high as ever. Yes there is more dross, but there’s also a lot more niche / experimental excellent stuff that “in the old days” wouldn’t have been released because of a record company gatekeeper not seeing massive profits from it.

No. I won’t suggest anyone because music is subjective. You’d just use whatever I suggested to argue over even though it is just a matter of taste.

As for “greats”: there’s a couple of million of people who genuinely think Taylor Swift is a great. They are right. She is a great to them and that is all that matters.

I’m astonished you are only 45. You sound at least 30 years older, like a muttering octogenarian  in the corner of the pub, demanding his beer is served in a proper dimpled mug with a handle because everything newer is wrong.

. I’m older than you and I hope I never get so bothered about a young musician managing to earn a living from playing.

I don’t like Jaco. I don’t like The Beatles, or more accurately I like the songs but cannot stand their vocals. 

Amazingly I am allowed to not listen  to them or watch them. You could try that.

• Like 9