Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Firefox, with duck duck go.

53 minutes ago, tauzero said:

If you go into the Add-ons manager, do you see F.B. Purity in there and is it enabled? If not, you could try using Add-ons manager to add FBP and see if that solves the problem.

Try what 'tauzero' suggested, although it might be under 'Extensions'.

41 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Try what 'tauzero' suggested, although it might be under 'Extensions'.

In my Firefox, it's in the Extensions section under the menu item "Add-ons and Themes".

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

In my Firefox, it's in the Extensions section under the menu item "Add-ons and Themes".

Yes, of course, sorry, I worded it wrong. I meant he would need to look under 'Extensions' first, on the tool bar. The little Jigsaw button (assuming it's pinned).

9 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Crikey. Some really shockingly distasteful stuff there. Basically you havent found anything. Suprise suprise..

While most people here start threads for discussion, your first posts tend to feel like you want an argument. It might not be the case, but it is how they come across sometimes. You also tend to go back and edit them quite heavily. OK not a massive problem in the scheme of things, we all have good days and bad days, and like you said earlier you’re a very long-standing and well-liked member and have earned respect on both those bases. But as I also said earlier, if you don’t want arguments, perhaps don’t start your threads argumentatively? 

Anyway, back to Charles Berthoud 👍

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Beedster said:

While most people here start threads for discussion, your first posts tend to feel like you want an argument. It might not be the case, but it is how they come across sometimes. You also tend to go back and edit them quite heavily. OK not a massive problem in the scheme of things, we all have good days and bad days, and like you said earlier you’re a very long-standing and well-liked member and have earned respect on both those bases. But as I also said earlier, if you don’t want arguments, perhaps don’t start your threads argumentatively? 

Anyway, back to Charles Berthoud 👍

Who?

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, lowdown said:

I follow both of Rick Beato's channels and saw this come up last night.  I watched about ten minutes of it, got (very) bored and switched to The Drain Unblockers feed (which was way more entertaining to be honest).

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, lowdown said:

Yes, he comes across as someone who is very level-headed and knows what he is doing.

He's also very relaxed about the whole thing.

His music is also very melodic, rather than the rhythmic rattle of most slapsters.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

His music is also very melodic, rather than the rhythmic rattle of most slapsters.

Totally agree, he's a classy player not just in terms of the techniques he's able to call on, but in terms of when and how he chooses to calls on them 👍

• Like 3

He's good but his videos belie his abilities a bit - he prerecords everything in a studio then essentially mimes the parts in his videos.  I would doubt his fluidity if he had to perform one of his basslines from start to finish, given the multitude of techniques he employs.  Still a much better bassist than I will ever be! 

3 hours ago, acidbass said:

He's good but his videos belie his abilities a bit - he prerecords everything in a studio then essentially mimes the parts in his videos.  I would doubt his fluidity if he had to perform one of his basslines from start to finish, given the multitude of techniques he employs.  Still a much better bassist than I will ever be! 

He didn't appear to have fluidity issues sat down with Beato. Bear in mind that he performs that stuff live too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, acidbass said:

You will find that a lot of YouTube musicians do this so they can use multiple camera views.

I read a really good scientific paper about this a few months ago. It was about the pressures on the "instagram guitarist." 

The short version was, if you post a video which is flawless, you're miming and it's been edited within an inch of it's life. If you play it live and it's not millimetrically bang on, you're crap and playing the instrument like a a tool.

Altogether, a lose-lose situation.

Frankly, what puts me off him and loads of others like him is that wobbly thing they do with their fretting hand when theyre not even bending the note and the bobble head and ludicrous gurning. See Janek Gwizdala and Phil Mann for other notable examples of this.

That's only a presentational comment. He's a very talented chap regardless.

There's plenty of videos of him playing live and I believe he is either on tour at the moment or just about to be.

It's interesting how on one hand youtube has given a lot more opportunities for musicians to get their work out there, but at the same time seems to attract more criticism of the musicians compared to those who have come to prominence through the historical non-youtube route. Very few people are saying "Steve Vai - yes he's good but it's all rehearsed to within a millimeter and he doesn't really have that much flair..."

The fact is Charles Berthoud is one of the best bass players alive today and unlike most of us has actually come through a more formal route to get there (Classical Piano & Berkeley) - if people don't like his music then fine, but it seems a bit unfair to imply he somehow cheats - he epitomises the success that a lot of both talent and hard work can get.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SimonK said:

There's plenty of videos of him playing live and I believe he is either on tour at the moment or just about to be.

It's interesting how on one hand youtube has given a lot more opportunities for musicians to get their work out there, but at the same time seems to attract more criticism of the musicians compared to those who have come to prominence through the historical non-youtube route. Very few people are saying "Steve Vai - yes he's good but it's all rehearsed to within a millimeter and he doesn't really have that much flair..."

The fact is Charles Berthoud is one of the best bass players alive today and unlike most of us has actually come through a more formal route to get there (Classical Piano & Berkeley) - if people don't like his music then fine, but it seems a bit unfair to imply he somehow cheats - he epitomises the success that a lot of both talent and hard work can get.

This ^

18 hours ago, mep said:

You will find that a lot of YouTube musicians do this so they can use multiple camera views.

Hey, I'm crap but I do have two cameras. I don't need to do miming to have multiple camera angles, and it's not hard to do. I'm sure Charles can afford 2-3 proper cams as well 😁

29 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Snarky puppy’s notoriety came from YouTube, and as well as being one of my favourite bands, they’ve won Grammys.

So the platform isn’t the issue, it’s how the creator users it. 

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Snarky puppy’s notoriety came from YouTube, and as well as being one of my favourite bands, they’ve won Grammys.

So the platform isn’t the issue, it’s how the creator users it. 

Yes but snarky puppy (who I do also enjoy) are a different sort of thing - essentially televised music sessions, not one person seeking to create something on his own - originally out of necessity as he was a gigging/session musician when COVID started.

Incidentally - and certainly off topic - if you like the whole televised session thing have you seen Martin Miller's band and youtube channel?

43 minutes ago, SimonK said:

Yes but snarky puppy (who I do also enjoy) are a different sort of thing - essentially televised music sessions, not one person seeking to create something on his own - originally out of necessity as he was a gigging/session musician when COVID started.

Incidentally - and certainly off topic - if you like the whole televised session thing have you seen Martin Miller's band and youtube channel?

True, and just like the Blu de tiger debate he clearly has only got attention by being a good looking young girl….

I haven’t, thank you for this. My go to is the NPR tiny desk concerts, a fantastic source of new music and even some terrific performances by pop stars that are too often discredited for their genre.