Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

15 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

I apologise for that, but watch your mouth with me pal. 

Seriously, your views in music are not shared by everyone so you threaten people, perhaps get out on the streets and threaten some minorities while you’re at it 👍

• Like 1

As I’ve said before on BC, the guy’s playing inspires me, I’ve worked on some of his versions and they’ve helped my technique no end, he’s not an album musician but that’s not his thing 👍

• Like 2

Ive tried to send Fretmeister a message but it wont send. That was not acceptable at all. I apologise to Fretmeister for that. Im under a bit of financial pressure and it came out on BC. Again im really sorry matey.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bubinga5 said:

Ive tried to send Fretmeister a message but it wont send. That was not acceptable at all. I apologise to Fretmeister for that. Im under a bit of financial pressure and it came out on BC. Again im really sorry matey.

Don’t start argumentative threads then 

4 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I think it's just time moves on. The players who were revered say in the 70s or even 80s have now been surpassed technically. Whether one likes that or not is another thing.

I have no problem with him. He's excellent. He does well out of it all and as far as I'm seeing he's not harming anyone from doing so. If someone hired him for their band instead of me, I'd probably be more surprised that I'd got to a level where I'd actually be considered with someone like that.

It's all individually calibrated as to what we like or not. We are all the best at being ourselves and nobody will ever play exactly like us. I enjoy watching people who are better than me as I feel I might learn something and quite often do. I feel it's kind of inspiring to make oneself a better player.

Don't like the content? Don't watch it. Just as I don't watch clickbait tossers like Danny Sapko.

Danny Sapko! Now he is one annoying 🤐🤬

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

IMG_7906.jpeg.f1184abd66c3e8ed41c462a4ab763877.jpeg

Try not to regurgitate Beato without thinking.

Music is easier to record and release. There is loads more of it. That’s as right as he was. The rest of his rant was embarrassing.

The good stuff is still there, you just have to sift through it a bit more. The quality of the good stuff is as high as ever. Yes there is more dross, but there’s also a lot more niche / experimental excellent stuff that “in the old days” wouldn’t have been released because of a record company gatekeeper not seeing massive profits from it.

No. I won’t suggest anyone because music is subjective. You’d just use whatever I suggested to argue over even though it is just a matter of taste.

As for “greats”: there’s a couple of million of people who genuinely think Taylor Swift is a great. They are right. She is a great to them and that is all that matters.

I’m astonished you are only 45. You sound at least 30 years older, like a muttering octogenarian  in the corner of the pub, demanding his beer is served in a proper dimpled mug with a handle because everything newer is wrong.

. I’m older than you and I hope I never get so bothered about a young musician managing to earn a living from playing.

I don’t like Jaco. I don’t like The Beatles, or more accurately I like the songs but cannot stand their vocals. 

Amazingly I am allowed to not listen  to them or watch them. You could try that.

There’s a lot of truth in the above, there is some incredible music being made right now, I’m always humbled by how much of the music my kids listen to is innovative, skilfully executed, and well produced, despite being performed by artists who you might expect to be the opposite. It’s too easy to get trapped in a genre/era model and not see real innovation elsewhere 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Don’t start argumentative threads then 

It didn't start as an argumentative thread, just a guy expressing an opinion and then a couple of posts took jabs at the poster rather than engage in debate with the point of the posts, no?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It didn't start as an argumentative thread, just a guy expressing an opinion and then a couple of posts took jabs at the poster rather than engage in debate with the point of the posts, no?

We’ll agree to disagree on that 👍

34 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Apology accepted.

I also apologise for taking the piss a bit heavy handedly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Beedster said:

There’s a lot of truth in the above, there is some incredible music being made right now, I’m always humbled by how much of the music my kids listen to is innovative, skilfully executed, and well produced, despite being performed by artists who you might expect to be the opposite. It’s too easy to get trapped in a genre/era model and not see real innovation elsewhere 

Indeed. There's still plenty of good new stuff emerging, even new genres and new takes on existing ones.

Sure, it might not often make the charts, but what does that even mean these days?  In Terms of sales, both numerically and financially, a number one "hit" today isn't remotely meaningful compared to that prior to the 80s.

Just find the good stuff, the real music still played by musicians (or at least manually programmed by sk eine thwt understands music), and enjoy it. If the masses prefer listening to something that sounds like a car alarm falling down the stairs there their problem - it'll probably be gone and forgotten in five years anyway.

• Like 1

I think Charles is fab. I love his humor, particularly his 'If xxx was the hardest song in the world' theme. He had done some amusing skits on classical composers and I've sent links of them to my dad who used to play violin and enjoys classical music. None of us are young. There are a lot of bass YouTubers out there and he is the one I watch most of.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Danny Sapko! Now he is one annoying 🤐🤬

I know Danny a bit - he's a nice guy, a lot less annoying down the pub than he is on YouTube! 

I think that Danny is like Charles whatisname in many ways and, to my mind, is part of the problem these days! He can certainly play, but he earns a living by exaggerating his Yorkshire accent, doing showboating solo spots at trade shows and reviewing mediocre gear on YT. I don't know if he has gigged with a proper band for any period of time, although he does do occasional projects, such as rehearsing up a Thin Lizzy tribute to play a one-off gig in a city centre bar (bear in mind that I cut my teeth with Lizzy in their pomp when I was a kid and I am at least thirty years older than Danny)! 

He's a very decent player and one of the good guys, but I would much rather see him in a decent band than just on YT. But he's got a living to make and the chances of getting the big gig for a kid from Bradford these days is too remote, so the only real options are either slogging around the circuit with one of the surviving members of some heritage band or getting a YouTube presence and demonstrating gear at trade shows. 

• Like 1

Lots of music about these days, some good some bad and some indifferent. Some will try to emulate people of the past and others will try and find their voice in an industry where nearly everything has been done at least once. That’s why I think we’re seeing extremes of technique or a musical idea. As ever collaboration is the key to innovation and that’s easier now than ever!

Edited by OliverBlackman

3 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

I think generally music has nose dived. Why.? Because its too easy to do..There are no greats any more. Im 45 and i cant count on 5 fingers how many pioneers there are on the world music scene today. Its either underground greats or Taylor Swift. I remember when Madonna came out with some forever lasting pop records. Prince, George Micheal etc etc. Name one musical genius now that is in the charts. People dont want to put in the effort to learn the actual hard work of learning the theory of music any more. Sound like an old git don't I. 😆

Sorry to be blunt, but total pish for me!

You're overlooking that the competition now is SOOO much higher than it was back when the artists you name made it.  It's true, literally any silly sod can pay £30 odd and upload the sound of the cat farting to every streaming platform.  But that's the tip of the iceberg.  The sheer volume of music out there is incomparable to anything as recent as a couple of decades ago, and it would be really interesting to see how many of the old pioneers would break through in the modern day.  The talent out there is insane and at such a high level it's silly, and even then so few break through.  I'm mainly talking from a Metal player perspective, but being at 80's Metallica level now, for example, would get you absolutely nowhere without mastering the crazy world of social media and pouring all your energy into that.  Even then, when you hear what some of the underground thrash bands put out now and still play tiny venues, it makes you think.

• Like 5