Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

On 10/08/2024 at 08:49, bubinga5 said:

If i ever have to witness this guy with his super talented guitar mates on Tiktok again im going to throw my phone in the bin. Its turning bass playing into a form of Mcdonalds. All 3 of them taking turns doing some incredible solo that just blows your mind.  Super fast, super clinical. Super bad taste imo... Look how incredible we are. But in the end there is no musical meat on the bone. Dont get me wrong hes a beast on the instrument but his playing and his platform after a while just bores me and my sister. . l have yet to see the guy play bass in a band. 

:facepalm:

On 10/08/2024 at 19:28, bubinga5 said:

Mate im not jealous. Far from it. I litteraly dont want to play like him at all. Im a bass player for music that is really special. I aim to be a Freddie Washington not a Charles.. cant remember his  last name.

Freddie is a monster player and has the talent and ability to shred. Obviously you won't hear that on a Whitney Houston song (etc) because for him that's not where the money is, but it doesn't mean he can't.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Check out his profile on Soundcloud, it's examples of his session work. Not flash, just very accomplished.

You can criticise his YouTube if you wish, but don't assume he can't do what we try to do.

Exactly 👍

• Like 1

I've no issue with CB, I've watched lots of his videos. I don't listen to his compositions but he's clearly got talent light years beyond the majority of us.

This is quite telling - my daughters, aged 13 and 10, are both very musical but have no particular interest in the bass, at least not as boring old dad plays it.

They're both familiar with CB and his videos. The guy's getting bass out there.

Incidentally, I feel I should jump to the defence of Danny Sapko, I think he's hilarious 😄

• Like 2

I guess that YT is the new way to get known, have fun and pay the bills. The hours are good and no travelling so you can still have a life. It's not like there's an abundance of sessions like the old days anymore. There's an abundance of musicians instead. 

Any musician who can do their thing, enjoy themselves and give up the day job has my respect.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

He's even more irritating than Davey 504!

The whole Yorkshire “behs” schtick got painfully old after about 10 seconds. And I cringe at his YT shorts. But his proper videos have some decent bass content. 

6 hours ago, Russ said:

The whole Yorkshire “behs” schtick got painfully old after about 10 seconds. And I cringe at his YT shorts. But his proper videos have some decent bass content. 

yeah I've not gone any further than his pretty pointless video shorts ' boot can she plehh behss'.

People are under the misapprehension that they're not as annoying as whatever bass YouTuber they dislike. Everyone can be. 

Delete Sapko's (possibly) highly stylised northern accent for say my own Scottish one saying "bass." The possibilities become endless for all of us.

Maybe behind closed doors, Scott Devine cries like a depressed circus clown when the mask of his highly Americanised plastic optimism slips once the camera stops filming. Maybe Danny Sapko isn't even northern. Maybe he's really Welsh and just puts the accent on for effect.

To quote Anthony Hopkins in The Edge, "what one man can do, another can do."

We can get there. We don't have to be left behind. All of us can cultivate a highly insane persona for clicks.

There is a skit to be written here about this stuff. Like that famous Mark Hoppus video with loads of bass players and him getting them to look vaguely interesting onstage, it'll be subverted with a bunch of bass players trying to concoct the most bonkers screen personality to monetise their content.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolverinebass said:

Danny Sapko isn't even northern. Maybe he's really Welsh and just puts the accent on for effect.

Danny is definitely northern...! He has a pretty strong Bradford accent that he does exaggerate a bit on YouTube for effect. 

So Charles comes up again and again on this forum which shows he's doing something right!

Personally I rate him as one of the greatest ever bass players. BTW did anyone mention he's also a classical pianist and composer, as well as a chap who seems both down to earth and funny?

We have a slightly more appreciative thread of his music on:

Edited by SimonK
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

People are under the misapprehension that they're not as annoying as whatever bass YouTuber they dislike. Everyone can be. 

Delete Sapko's (possibly) highly stylised northern accent for say my own Scottish one saying "bass." The possibilities become endless for all of us.

Maybe behind closed doors, Scott Devine cries like a depressed circus clown when the mask of his highly Americanised plastic optimism slips once the camera stops filming. Maybe Danny Sapko isn't even northern. Maybe he's really Welsh and just puts the accent on for effect.

To quote Anthony Hopkins in The Edge, "what one man can do, another can do."

We can get there. We don't have to be left behind. All of us can cultivate a highly insane persona for clicks.

There is a skit to be written here about this stuff. Like that famous Mark Hoppus video with loads of bass players and him getting them to look vaguely interesting onstage, it'll be subverted with a bunch of bass players trying to concoct the most bonkers screen personality to monetise their content.

I didn't even associate Sapko with an accent, In my head he was American... No, it was his "prompt a reaction" videos on Facebook  in a style I find irritating regardless of the subject matter.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

Genuine question, If people dont like something, why watch it?  There are things on youtube I know I wont like, there are short videos I know I wont like, so i don't watch them.  I have watched a couple of videos by Charles and Danny, decided I don't mind Charles, not too into Danny (doesn't mean I think theres a problem with Dannys content btw) but I don't feel the need to watch things I know will annoy me then post about how annoyed I am on the internet. 

Anyone who is making a living from music is doing great and fair play to them, except the dude that owns spotify...cos that doesn't feel like a fair split of money

Jonny

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Anyone who is making a living from music is doing great and fair play to them, except the dude that owns spotify...cos that doesn't feel like a fair split of money

Jonny

The dude who owns Spotify has done more for music and up and coming musicians than almost anything or anyone else, but people don't like to focus on that :) 

11 minutes ago, Kev said:

The dude who owns Spotify has done more for music and up and coming musicians than almost anything or anyone else, but people don't like to focus on that :) 

Sorry I cant agree with "has done more for music than anyone else" more than the inventor of any recording media/equipment? Leo fender? Any artist who has innovated and created a style? nope, he's a distributor, thats it, very successful but just a distributor.  In 100 years will remember spotify or him? I wouldnt think so, they might have an electric guitar, a john coltrane album on some format and maybe even an antique collection of CD's though.  There is no doubt he's facilitated people hearing new bands but he's also IMO not paying a fair share, so these people may end up in an unsustainable business model.

John

• Like 5