Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

All Spotify has done is enabled the talentless to flood the airwaves with white noise. Back in the day you went to a producer/publisher and if ur stuff was dull and boring they showed you the door... Ive written "tunes" that back then didnt get a look in. Now I can put them up on Spotify and they're still crap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

Anyone who is making a living from music is doing great and fair play to them, except the dude that owns spotify...cos that doesn't feel like a fair split of money

25 minutes ago, Kev said:

The dude who owns Spotify has done more for music and up and coming musicians than almost anything or anyone else, but people don't like to focus on that :) 

The Spotify finance distribution info is available from plenty of outlets, and they are all pretty much using the same figures.

Which, If I'm not mistaken, are quite a way off from what 'Karen & Dave' spew out on Facebook and X and other SM platforms.

The not so 'fair share' is more to do with the record labels, publishers and distributors than Spotify itself.

How Much Do Artists Make on Spotify (2024)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lowdown said:

The Spotify finance distribution info is available from plenty of outlets, and they are all pretty much using the same figures.

Which, If I'm not mistaken, are quite a way off from what 'Karen & Dave' spew out on Facebook and X and other SM platforms.

The not so 'fair share' is more to do with the record labels, publishers and distributors than Spotify itself.

How Much Do Artists Make on Spotify (2024)

Cheers for this, good article, it does state that Spotify pays less than the other streaming platforms.  Which i think backs up my not fair share, and I didnt even have to ask Karen and Dave on facebook :)

• Haha 1

Just now, jonnybass said:

Cheers for this, good article, it does state that Spotify pays less than the other streaming platforms.  Which i think backs up my not fair share, and I didnt even have to ask Karen and Dave on facebook :)

Yes, definitely less than some of the other platforms. I was just responding to your Spotify reference.

• Like 1

Spotify pays plenty. If you are not getting very much it's either because you haven't done enough promotion or because you've signed too big a share away to your publisher or record label.

Sure the noise to signal ratio is much higher these days when anyone with a recording and a spare $50 dollars can have their music available on every streaming (not just Spotify) and download service. But you still need to find a way to make your music stand out. Unfortunately being technically accomplished on your chosen instrument(s) or being able to write a "good" song (entirely subjective itself) is and never has been sufficient criteria for a successful career in music. You need to be entertaining, just the right amount of different, and work far, far harder than the typical musician can be bothered with.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Spotify pays plenty. If you are not getting very much it's either because you haven't done enough promotion or because you've signed too big a share away to your publisher or record label.

Sure the noise to signal ratio is much higher these days when anyone with a recording and a spare $50 dollars can have their music available on every streaming (not just Spotify) and download service. But you still need to find a way to make your music stand out. Unfortunately being technically accomplished on your chosen instrument(s) or being able to write a "good" song (entirely subjective itself) is and never has been sufficient criteria for a successful career in music. You need to be entertaining, just the right amount of different, and work far, far harder than the typical musician can be bothered with.

As the article Lowdown posted shows, Spotify pay less that the other platforms mentioned, in some cases 50% less, I'd say that backs up not my feeling that they aren't paying their fair share.  

$0.005 for 1,000,000's of streams would be plenty, and you have a bigger chance of that if you market yourself well. 

Jonny

Spotify is a free marketing platform to get your music in front of millions who otherwise wouldn't hear it.  Its invaluable and worth more than any marketing campaign you could buy.

Unless you're massive, if you're looking at it as a source of income, you're looking at it wrong.

On 10/08/2024 at 11:47, BreadBin said:

Not musical?

He's great on that - what a lovely touch he has! 

However, the thing that astonished me, he'd never heard the track, and didn't recognise who it was? Seriously?  Do music colleges not really encourage any breadth and depth of listening?

Just now, Mykesbass said:

. . .   Do music colleges not really encourage any breadth and depth of listening?

My (admittedly limited) experience of music college graduates. . . . they've learnt all the notes and they're going to use all of them. . . .  all the time.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

My (admittedly limited) experience of music college graduates. . . . they've learnt all the notes and they're going to use all of them. . . .  all the time.

That’s the same with any graduate of any industry. You can be shown the tools but only experience teaches how and when to use them.

50 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

However, the thing that astonished me, he'd never heard the track, and didn't recognise who it was? Seriously?  Do music colleges not really encourage any breadth and depth of listening?

To be honest, I was a little disappointed in that! He can very obviously play, but his take on it wasn't anything special and he looked like he would have been happier doing his Stu Hamm on speed schtick rather than coming up with a great part on the spot. He's certainly no Steve Lukather or Leland Sklar type of character, nailing everything on the first take while cracking jokes and lighting up the room. 

I must say that he comes across as a nice guy, rather than the slightly smug poshboy that I find a little irritating on his YouTube clips. I am amazed that he genuinely didn't recognise the Rolling Stones (on one of their better known tunes). Perhaps if he had been more familiar with that type of classic rock music he would have been a bit more comfortable. 

Edited by peteb

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

He's certainly no Steve Lukather or Leland Sklar type of character, nailing everything on the first take while cracking jokes and lighting up the room. 

Steve Lukather didn't nail everything on the spot. On one of his many interviews and funny tales of the session world, he tells a great story about when he was sitting next to Lee Ritenour on a session:

He was on Guitar two and 'Rit' was on Guitar one. For some reason, Guitar two had nothing but wall to wall ink on the pages and Guitar one had very little of anything.

SL couldn't read the part or get anywhere close... 'Rit' noticed him struggling so quickly swapped the parts over and all ended fine.

Lee Ritenour told the same story on one of his interviews and funny tales of the LA golden session years when asked about it.

Very funny...

:D

16 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Steve Lukather didn't nail everything on the spot. On one of his many interviews and funny tales of the session world, he tells a great story about when he was sitting next to Lee Ritenour on a session:

He was on Guitar two and 'Rit' was on Guitar one. For some reason, Guitar two had nothing but wall to wall ink on the pages and Guitar one had very little of anything.

SL couldn't read the part or get anywhere close... 'Rit' noticed him struggling so quickly swapped the parts over and all ended fine.

Lee Ritenour told the same story on one of his interviews and funny tales of the LA golden session years when asked about it.

Very funny...

I believe that was a film score session where Luke turned up with a hangover, believing that he had a pretty easy part to cover and then being shocked to find that it was way more complicated than he had expected. After laughing at him, his mate Ritenour (who was a stronger reader at the time) took pity on him and swapped the scores! 

Remember that a lot of these guys like to affect a self-depreciating tone and tell stories about where they nearly come unstuck. If you read his book, you can see many testimonials about how SL could get something magical down first take without seeming to take it too seriously, which was highly regarded even among the elite LA session players of the time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

I believe that was a film score session where Luke turned up with a hangover, believing that he had a pretty easy part to cover and then being shocked to find that it was way more complicated than he had expected. After laughing at him, his mate Ritenour (who was a stronger reader at the time) took pity on him and swapped the scores! 

Remember that a lot of these guys like to affect a self-depreciating tone and tell stories about where they nearly come unstuck. If you read his book, you can see many testimonials about how SL could get something magical down first take without seeming to take it too seriously, which was highly regarded even among the elite LA session players of the time. 

Not as funny as the interview when he relates the story, but here it is from Lukather (below).

Interesting he mentions the Gene Page arrangement. on the video on the Freddie Washington thread, Freddie mentions the great Gene Page and how he like to write out detailed note arrangements.

That time Lee Ritenour bailed Steve Lukather out on a session

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Not as funny as the interview when he relates the story, but here it is from Lukather (below).

Interesting he mentions the Gene Page arrangement. on the video on the Freddie Washington thread, Freddie mentions the great Gene Page and how he like to write out detailed note arrangements.

That time Lee Ritenour bailed Steve Lukather out on a session

Obviously I confused the story with something else (or simply not remembered correctly, a problem with old age). This one is when SL was just starting out and was late for session and a bit flustered. It just shows that these guys can be pretty helpful to each other, even in what was a pretty tough industry.

If you read the Luke autobiography, there are loads of anecdotes like that. It's all quite interesting to someone like me, and generally pretty amusing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, peteb said:

Obviously I confused the story with something else (or simply not remembered correctly, a problem with old age). This one is when SL was just starting out and was late for session and a bit flustered. It just shows that these guys can be pretty helpful to each other, even in what was a pretty tough industry.

If you read the Luke autobiography, there are loads of anecdotes like that. It's all quite interesting to someone like me, and generally pretty amusing. 

I also find his story telling and anecdotes funny. He's quite a character.

The story from the Sunset Sound Studio video interview about when he got banned from Berklee College of Music... :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lowdown said:

I also find his story telling and anecdotes funny. He's quite a character.

The story from the Sunset Sound Studio video interview about when he got banned from Berklee College of Music... :D

Yes, that was definitely a good one... 🙂 

I imagine that Luke would be great company, but possibly a bit exhausting after a while! 

Edited by peteb
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Yes exactly - lovely touch, appropriate use of a mute and ending up with a very similar composition to the original. 

He plays to the song perfectly. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jonnybass said:

Genuine question, If people dont like something, why watch it? 

On Facebook you get fed what Meta think you want. You actually have to keep rejecting things to stop them, and it will often find other ways to serve you the content.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

On Facebook you get fed what Meta think you want. You actually have to keep rejecting things to stop them, and it will often find other ways to serve you the content.

Which is how I have heard of Charles, Davey504(not sure thats right) and Danny Sapko, watched half of a davy504 reel and it was really not my thing. I haven't watched any more, when they come up I don't watch them, as I know its not my thing.  

Watched a couple of Charles B ones, his, I don't mind.

Jonny