Why become a member? ×

Charles Berthoud

19 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

people arguing in threads ? can they not just message each other privately rather then looking for clout on here

Rankism and the careless put down. . . . comes so easily to Brits!

Every player making a living out of bass playing, from Sid Vicious to Charles, gets my vote.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Rankism and the careless put down. . . . comes so easily to Brits!

Every player making a living out of bass playing, from Sid Vicious to Charles, gets my vote.

Agreed, I'd extend it to everyone making a living out of playing music

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

people arguing in threads ? can they not just message each other privately rather then looking for clout on here

How do they know what each other thinks without posting opinions on here? And who determines what opinions are allowed?

I'm a great admirer of Charles but there's going to be some who don't like what he does or how he does it. Their opinions are obviously wrong but they're still entitled to post them.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I trust that that includes Coldplay and Nickelback.

Point taken but yes, it does, they’re doing what most of us would love to do. And if either of them offered me a gig …… 🤔

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

How do they know what each other thinks without posting opinions on here? And who determines what opinions are allowed?

I'm a great admirer of Charles but there's going to be some who don't like what he does or how he does it. Their opinions are obviously wrong but they're still entitled to post them.

of course opinions are allowed but when it goes off topic and people are slating each other its a bit embarassing

3 minutes ago, christhammer666 said:

of course opinions are allowed but when it goes off topic and people are slating each other its a bit embarassing

Don't forget the 'Report' feature (behind those three little dots, top-right corner of every post...) is there to alert Mods and Admin of any untoward comments, especially insults. B|

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tauzero said:

I trust that that includes Coldplay and Nickelback.

A pretty good drummer of my acquaintance is flying out all over Europe (he's in Lithuania at the moment), playing theatres to big crowds and (I assume) earning decent money - just for playing in a Coldplay tribute...! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

Eh? I thought this was a forum for chatting about bass matters. If we all agreed it would be a pretty boring place...

Sorry... I didn't realise that some comments may have got a bit personal.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

TBH I'd forgotten about the digs, they were a couple of pages back and it wasn't exactly a flame war - and a lot of off topic stuff was about Facebook Purity.

4 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

For a guy with your username you seem rather sensitive to two middle-aged blokes having a bit of a tiff 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, tauzero said:

TBH I'd forgotten about the digs, they were a couple of pages back and it wasn't exactly a flame war - and a lot of off topic stuff was about Facebook Purity.

Excellent side conversation. My Facebook has never been better. Thanks again all.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, diskwave said:

The legendary Abe Laboriel was a classical guitarist too and has a similiar dexterity across the board and strums a lot too.....similiar technique.

To complement that, watch this till the end, you'll understand what a player he is and it's on a bass he just plugged in without knowing it...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, lowdown said:

Was just coming here to link this as well - holy moly - at least as mere mortals we can watch these guys play! Thus said I might be able to take away the idea of playing ghost notes across strings rather on the same string which is an idea I haven't thought about before - but the rest of it is just there for appreciating!

• Like 2

On 05/10/2024 at 06:00, Hellzero said:

To complement that, watch this till the end, you'll understand what a player he is and it's on a bass he just plugged in without knowing it...

Abe Laboriel is an absolute monster, and, considering his sheer number of credits, should be far better known than he is. The man just bleeds groove, and has invented more techniques and different playing styles than practically anyone else! His son also plays drums for Paul McCartney... 

The only other players I can think of who just ooze groove the way he does are Bobby Vega and Richard Bona. 

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Abe Laboriel is an absolute monster, and, considering his sheer number of credits, should be far better known than he is. The man just bleeds groove, and has invented more techniques and different playing styles than practically anyone else! His son also plays drums for Paul McCartney... 

The only other players I can think of who just ooze groove the way he does are Bobby Vega and Richard Bona. 

It's more than Groove with Abe, he has a lot of musicality about him.

There are not that many Bassists about, even at the top of the tree like he is, who can hold your attention for nearly six minutes, playing alone and unaccompanied.

Light and shade, dynamics, precise articulation, along with ebb and flow, it's all there and makes for a top, top musician that he is.

The video is certainly worth watching all the way through (well, in my opinion).

I'm a big fan of Abe Laboriel's playing and although it's been up for ten years, the video is a first for me.

Thanks to 'Hellzero' for posting the link.

:hi:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Russ said:

He reminds me most of victor wooten. They both groove like they have all the time in the world. I’d love to get to such a level of effortlessness!

• Like 1