Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass shopping help, Spectors, Sanderbergs etc

Raslee

So I finally go on a lifetime dream family holiday very soon, a California dreaming road trip - a holiday that has witnessed the selling of many of my cherished bass pieces over the last 12 months to help fund...however I can confess to being a bit naughty on some occasions and bought other bassy bits too  - 12 months is indeed a long time (Lightweight amps & speakers mainly). But overall i made a good contribution to the holiday funds with sales on here, local etc and feel I've done my bit.

Fast forward to the here and now, and after today's post full on energetic 90 minute Ska gig back pain from last nights festival party, Mrs Raslee gives me the green light to buy a ultra lightweight bass....something I've been considering for a while with age, increasing bad back and physique, and more gigs coming in with the differing bands i currently play with. Last night i gigged my Precision bitsa that weighs in bang on 8lb which is my lightest 4 string bass, I also gig a Stingray Special at 8.6lbs (main bass), and a Cort Jazz at 9.1 lbs which i had the worst back ache gigging that one two weeks ago....sounded great though with upgraded EMG's! I'm sorted on the 5 string lightweight front with a 7.4 lb Cricket bat but i reserve that for my reggae band for when we get together.

A few months back i had been seriously thinking about an eventual ultra lightweight 4 string purchase along the lines of the Sandberg SL's, but a recent add for a Spector RST on bass Bro's has peaked my interests at just over 6lbs in weight. However i think i'd prefer a P/J configuration to the RST's humbuckers but those Aguilar's on the RST do sound great from the reviews i've read/heard. I also have to admit i am getting a bit of Spector GAS, more so as one of my bands is thinking about a Blondie tribute and well, a nod to Leigh Fox perhaps, and it would be something different to my current holy trinity of P/MM/J. I also like the looks of the purple NS 2 Pulse model....hoping to try one on my holidays when in L.A.

Any thoughts on lightweight basses, Spector, Sandbergs SL's...others etc etc...I will of course spend some monies on the Gym too...one day ;)

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

I'm under the impression that Sandberg will give the ultralight treatment to any of their models, if you ask them nicely (and pay a bit extra) Going on what I've read, their necks would be a bit thin and shallow for my taste.

I've two ultralight G&Ls that I had built to order — but that's very definitely not an experience I could recommend in good conscience, despite one of them being an excellent instrument. My knackered shoulder is happy though.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you're set on going upmarket but I'll share my story anyway - I had an Epiphone Embassy that was so light, I sold it.  Don't get me wrong, it sounded great but it was too light - my brain couldn't take it seriously, it felt like a toy - which sounds ideal for your requirements.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raslee said:

A few months back i had been seriously thinking about an eventual ultra lightweight 4 string purchase along the lines of the Sandberg SL's, but a recent add for a Spector RST on bass Bro's has peaked my interests at just over 6lbs in weight.

Any thoughts on lightweight basses, Spector, Sandbergs SL's...others etc etc...I will of course spend some monies on the Gym too...one day

My favourite bass of all time is a Sadowsky RV5. Unfortunately it weighs 9lb 7oz (4.4kg). That's not a lot, but my back hasn't been able to take that weight for a couple of years. I work out, and while I'm fitter and healthier, it doesn't put the clock back in a way that will satisfy my back.

Last year I bought a Sandberg TT5 SL (6lb 8oz), Ibanez (7lb) and  Cort (7lb), and I'm still trying to work out which will take over as my #1. They are all light, feel good to play and my back is happy with all of them, but they don't have the sound I'm looking for. I bought a Sadowsky preamp pedal which only gets me half way there. IMO the Sandberg is the best of the bunch but I'll need to replace the pickups. Decisions, decisions!

• Like 1

The Sandberg SL’s are unbelievably lightweight. Their regular basses are pretty light anyway but the first time I picked up an SL to try out I couldn’t believe how little it weighed. 
I also have an American Standard Precision from around 2016ish which is unusually light. Sometimes you get lucky with Fenders…

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I’ve got 2 Sandberg SL. A TT4 jazz (about 6.4lb) and a Lionel shortie (5.7lb).

Great basses. Really happy with them.

Haven't you modded your basses?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

My favourite bass of all time is a Sadowsky RV5. Unfortunately it weighs 9lb 7oz (4.4kg). That's not a lot, but my back hasn't been able to take that weight for a couple of years. I work out, and while I'm fitter and healthier, it doesn't put the clock back in a way that will satisfy my back.

Last year I bought a Sandberg TT5 SL (6lb 8oz), Ibanez (7lb) and  Cort (7lb), and I'm still trying to work out which will take over as my #1. They are all light, feel good to play and my back is happy with all of them, but they don't have the sound I'm looking for. I bought a Sadowsky preamp pedal which only gets me half way there. IMO the Sandberg is the best of the bunch but I'll need to replace the pickups. Decisions, decisions!

What model Cort is it? I recall trying a used Cort 5 string jazz at PMT many moons ago and it was really light, and cheap. Still kick myself now for not buying it. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

pickup changes. Nowt else.

What did you change from and too? I’m wondering if I got down the custom route what pickups to consider. It’s really odd as I was never a fan of EMG’s but I put some in my Cort jazz a few months back and I’m loving them now. 

Edited by Raslee

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

Sounds like you're set on going upmarket but I'll share my story anyway - I had an Epiphone Embassy that was so light, I sold it.  Don't get me wrong, it sounded great but it was too light - my brain couldn't take it seriously, it felt like a toy - which sounds ideal for your requirements.

My Embassy is 7.2lbs.

It's lighter than my solid body skinny stringers let alone my other basses.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Raslee said:

What model Cort is it?

It's a Cort GB35J. It's a pretty fair instrument for not a lot of cash. It plays well and others in the band have complimented it, but I can hear where they made the savings. The pickups are very one dimensional. I put some GHS flatwounds on and the sound improved a lot, but if I keep it, those pickups have to go.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cato said:

My Embassy is 7.2lbs.

It's lighter than my solid body skinny stringers let alone my other basses.

That’s interesting to know. I remember looking at the online a while back. I may have a look in the shops too. Let me know if you decide to sell 😁

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, itu said:

If price is not an issue, a Modulus Revolite. Didn't Elrick make light basses, too?

I’ve got a max budget of around 2K but ideally around 1.5 or less.  I’d prefer to get used if possible too. 

Both of my two basses are just over 7 lbs. When I first got them, they seemed very light. But now the heavier normal basses I had then are gone, they just seem normal. My shoulder calls one of them "the heavy one" and the other one "the light one". We're humans, we adjust to new realities pretty quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raslee said:

What did you change from and too? I’m wondering if I got down the custom route what pickups to consider. It’s really odd as I was never a fan of EMG’s but I put some in my Cort jazz a few months back and I’m loving them now. 

EMG J set in the TT4 with an EMG 3 band preamp. 

Aguilar 1960s wind P in the Lionel.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, police squad said:

I have an old hofner violin bass. I've used heavier tea bags than this thing, worth a look if you don't mind the shape and the short scale

Plus Hofners sound great for Ska 👌

• Like 1

I just got a barely used Squier Sonic Precision in California Blue from a mate. I switched the neck for a Squier Jazz neck and the whole thing weighs about 2.9kg. It's probably made of balsa wood but for £100 I'm not complaining. Sounds ace as well.

Can also recommend the Hofner violin bass, they're probably lighter than the gigbag that you'd put it in. Mine was possibly less than 2kg, but then again it's got a tiny body and it's hollow. Great for reggae and ska, as others have said 👍

• Like 1

I've recently acquired a lovely sparkly purple kramer d1.

Far and away the lightest bass I've ever had. Super light. Lovely thin neck, again the thinnest I've ever tried. And a lovely seymour duncan mm pickup. 

Nice and cheap, great sound too. 

No more back pain from gigging. 

Spector NS Pulse II is excellent and pretty light. Also worth checking out the Spector Euro Classic (Bass DIrect have them) if you have Spector GAS. These are classic looking PJ Spector models with a 'weight-relieved' body.....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cetera said:

Spector NS Pulse II is excellent and pretty light. Also worth checking out the Spector Euro Classic (Bass DIrect have them) if you have Spector GAS. These are classic looking PJ Spector models with a 'weight-relieved' body.....

Cheers mate, I was hoping to try the NS Pulse 2, but will have a look at the Euros you mentioned. 😊

• Like 1