Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass shopping help, Spectors, Sanderbergs etc

Raslee

17 hours ago, meterman said:

I just got a barely used Squier Sonic Precision in California Blue from a mate. I switched the neck for a Squier Jazz neck and the whole thing weighs about 2.9kg. It's probably made of balsa wood but for £100 I'm not complaining. Sounds ace as well.

Can also recommend the Hofner violin bass, they're probably lighter than the gigbag that you'd put it in. Mine was possibly less than 2kg, but then again it's got a tiny body and it's hollow. Great for reggae and ska, as others have said 👍

My P bitsa has the Cali blue Sonic body and USA neck, Hipshot lightweight tuners. It is joyous at 8lb, EMG Geezers too - love it. 
IMG_7643.thumb.png.e2581b38ad938ac833e362000a25fc61.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

This Sandberg California TT SL appeared today in the ads in Germany: https://www.bassic.de/kleinanzeigen/sandberg-california-tt-sl-4-bass.53923/

That looks very nice. Will have a good look later at this.

@Hellzero Do you speak German? If so Any possibility of asking the seller if they’d ship to the UK?  Many thanks.

Edited by Raslee

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

@Hellzero Do you speak German? If so Any possibility of asking the seller if they’d ship to the UK?  Many thanks.

Don't forget you will need to pay roughly 20% on top for VAT/import duty as the bass would be imported from the EU, so you will need to factor that into your sums

Edited by Clarky
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Raslee said:

Yep, I do.

I'll ask the seller about shipping to the U.K., in a moment and switch to PM when I get the answer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

Yep, I do.

I'll ask the seller about shipping to the U.K., in a moment and switch to PM when I get the answer.

Thanks soooo much for you help, much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Clarky said:

Don't forget you will need to pay roughly 20% on top for VAT/import duty as the bass would be imported from the EU, so you will need to factor that into your sums

Cheers mate, yes will factor that into the decision making 😊

• Like 1

On 13/08/2024 at 23:13, Raslee said:
On 13/08/2024 at 19:22, Clarky said:

Cheers mate, yes will factor that into the decision making

@Raslee if you’re ever up Bristol way you’re welcome to tryout my Sandberg TM4 SL - it’s just under 7 lbs, and has the black label pickups. Pm me if you need more details. 
I might be putting up for sale soon, full disclosure, as I mainly play fretless these days. 
Good luck with finding a lighter bass,  cheers !

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, petebassist said:

@Raslee if you’re ever up Bristol way you’re welcome to tryout my Sandberg TM4 SL - it’s just under 7 lbs, and has the black label pickups. Pm me if you need more details. 
I might be putting up for sale soon, full disclosure, as I mainly play fretless these days. 
Good luck with finding a lighter bass,  cheers !

PM’d 

• 3 weeks later...

All is well, that ends well. Did my 3 weeks holiday in the USA whilst all the time keeping an eye on the spending money and a few pennies were to my luck left over. Quick contact to Will at Bass Bro’s from the Grand Canyon…the rest is good history. Growled like a mother biatch at last nights rehearsal. 6.4lbs and sounds awesome, love it, as does my back.  Just need to find a de tuner now. Spector RST.

IMG_9220.thumb.jpeg.f2bf90ddd0a50a3090d16a9f8106d826.jpeg

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

All is well, that ends well. Did my 3 weeks holiday in the USA whilst all the time keeping an eye on the spending money and a few pennies were to my luck left over. Quick contact to Will at Bass Bro’s from the Grand Canyon…the rest is good history. Growled like a mother biatch at last nights rehearsal. 6.4lbs and sounds awesome, love it, as does my back.  Just need to find a de tuner now. Spector RST.

IMG_9220.thumb.jpeg.f2bf90ddd0a50a3090d16a9f8106d826.jpeg

Very Nice, I’ve never played one of those before, I quite like the body shape and they look comfortable to play 

18 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Very Nice, I’ve never played one of those before, I quite like the body shape and they look comfortable to play 

It’s a different beast mate from my usual holy trinity basses. Quite a spectrum of sound. The active bass full on is perhaps too boomy for a reggae vibe so I found dialling in a bit of bridge pickup helped with definition. It excels at a P clanky two tone vibe when dialling in the highs, not too brittle either,and yes that growl people talk about - cuts through brilliant. I wasn’t sure at first about going for the Aguilar setup, and perhaps far it’s from the ‘Spector sound’ but I’m really liking what I hear so far. The neck pickup is perhaps my favourite, bit like a super P, quarter pounder pickups is. The only negatives are no passive bypass or option, to which I may try a different preamp eventually, and the tiniest bit of neck dive being so light but on the strap it’s fine - the weight is joyous as I say. Looking forward to gigging it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1