Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day! Laney Digbeth 500

MichaelDean

I'm having a GAS attack.

It might be fleeting. We'll see. 

Has anyone played a Digbeth DB500h and an ABM-600, who is willing to share their thoughts? I love the sound I'm getting from my ABM, but the Digbeth looks a lot cooler. Plus, I could get the Digbeth re-covered in purple tolex, which would then match my cab.

The blue panel of the ABM would look weird with purple tolex in my opinion, unless I could find a silver/chromed fronted one, but I've been keeping an eye out and they seem to be rare...

Edited by MichaelDean

I've not played a Digbeth, but I've heard them and I do find I prefer the Laney sound to Ashdown. Not to say the Ashdown is bad, it's not, I've played a number of Ashdown's for quite a while, but I do find the Laney more of what I'd want from an amp. 

• Like 1

Thanks @PinkMohawk. I have wondered if the EQ is a bit too clinical on my ABM, or maybe my chosen tone is the issue. From what I can discern from YouTube videos, the Digbeth appears to be a much simpler affair more generally, with a tamer high end, but still plenty of bottom. The tilt control looks good too. I wish I'd been out to play one when PMT had them in stock.

• Like 1

I would describe the Ashdown tone as warm and slightly vintage sounding but with lots of tweeks can be made more modern sounding. 

It suits most genres and has authority to its notes that gets better as you push it harder 

Leave the dreaded SHAPE feature off as it smothers the tone too much 

13 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I would describe the Ashdown tone as warm and slightly vintage sounding but with lots of tweeks can be made more modern sounding. 

It suits most genres and has authority to its notes that gets better as you push it harder 

Leave the dreaded SHAPE feature off as it smothers the tone too much 

See, the shape button is where it's at for me, especially for the band I'm in. I have that on, and then have the bass turned down a bit, cut 340hz, add in more mids and attempt to tame the high end, while still being able to hear myself among the mush of down tuned, distorted guitars. You can't get those low lows out of the ABM without engaging it, but because the shape button is a big smiley face EQ, I think it's pushing the highs more than I want. I want half a shape button that just affects the low frequencies. 

I think the Laney is probably more vintage inspired, which might better suit the tone I'm after. 

Personally I think the shape button on an ABM is its raison d'etre and there is enough leverage on the entire EQ to still get a good clear tone without things getting muddy. I haven't played through a Digbeth but curiously with the shape disengaged on an ABM, that sound is reminiscent of the older Laney RB stuff I used to own, and a quite clean and powerful mid presence, dare I British solid state sound. If the Digbeth has any of that ancestry from the older RB amps then they might sound not unlike and ABM with the shape off 🤔

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DGBass said:

Personally I think the shape button on an ABM is its raison d'etre and there is enough leverage on the entire EQ to still get a good clear tone without things getting muddy. I haven't played through a Digbeth but curiously with the shape disengaged on an ABM, that sound is reminiscent of the older Laney RB stuff I used to own, and a quite clean and powerful mid presence, dare I British solid state sound. If the Digbeth has any of that ancestry from the older RB amps then they might sound not unlike and ABM with the shape off 🤔

I think the Digbeth goes a step further than old Laney amps with the tilt control, which lets you make the whole thing sound a bit darker in general, bringing up the lows, rolling off the highs. I'm really tempted. 

I've had and gigged both. Both great amps. 

Different amps, but both great.

The 3 channels and the tilt wins it for me. You can really get a lot of drive and distortion if required, or a nice valve sound, and then flick to a clean when required. Or mix both. 

The tilt is great and a very easy way to get a great sound. Works really well. 

Looks really cool too. 

Light as a feather as well. 

Saying that, if you really know how to use eq to get the sounds you want the abms are great. 

I'd have either and be really happy. 

• Like 3

Thanks @la bam. Really helpful. I think the Digbeth might be the way to go. I was thinking I could still use my always on dirt from my GX-100 into the clean channel, but kick on the tube setting whacked up high when I need it. I'll wait till I get back from ATG to present the idea to my wife...

The thing is the Digbeth will do anything from slight break up to full on valve drive, the abm I found very hard to get any type of drive and I've had quite a few of them. 

So if drive is your thing Digbeth is the way to go and you still have a clean channel when you need it. 

• Like 1

The ABM600 input needs to be high too if you want more drive as well as maxing the drive control !

Mine had plenty but I did fit a new JJ83S preamp tube in it so perhaps that helped ? 

Edited by BassAdder60

1 hour ago, MichaelDean said:

I do find it more of a subtle warming of the tone, rather than a "drive". 

Likewise. I like the valve character of it but it doesn’t really do a raspy gritty drive for me. Warm and organic yes, but not overdriven. That’s what my Microtubes pedal is for. 

On 13/08/2024 at 07:09, MichaelDean said:

I think the Digbeth goes a step further than old Laney amps with the tilt control, which lets you make the whole thing sound a bit darker in general, bringing up the lows, rolling off the highs. I'm really tempted. 

I think they had that either on my Trace. BLX130 or Ashdown Combo of some years ago ( the one down from the ABM)

@dazza b I'll be sure to update the thread. It is ordered, didn't dispatch today unfortunately. Looks like it might be a Monday delivery which is annoying. I had hoped I could order it in time for band practice on Sunday. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part. 

So, I ordered on Thursday lunchtime, it wasn't dispatched until last thing Friday, so I've had to wait. It's finally out for delivery now! Not scheduled to arrive till between 3 and 4 though - I'll be twitchy all day!

• Haha 1

First reaction is it's really nice and might be perfect for my current needs. I still need to try it plugged into a cab and with my pedalboard, but straight in and through the headphones I'm very impressed. The "valve" channel is lovely and squashy. The clean sounds the same as the valve, but clean. You can make it sound really dark but there's a lot of clarity which I think will work well in the band. 

I'll be able to give it a bit of a blast at home tomorrow as everyone else will be out.

It would also look so cool in purple tolex, grey piping and a matching grill cloth to my cab. Might need to see if Zilla will swap my badge to black and silver...

PXL_20240827_144743383.thumb.jpg.f7f708148f971e067ba31aa97c4a6801.jpg

• Like 9

• MichaelDean changed the title to New Amp Day! Laney Digbeth 500

Just had a quick blast after doing the nursery run and before starting work.

The lack of a master volume is stupid. I just tried running it with the effects loop and it means that I have to use the volume of the final pedal (my GX-100) as the the master volume for the whole thing. Not very convenient. However, I do think that I might prefer going straight into the front of it with the channels blended. Wasn't expecting that. I really like it. I think it might be just what I was hoping it would be! Need to try it at band practice next week to confirm though.

• Like 1