Why become a member? ×

New Amp Day! Laney Digbeth 500

MichaelDean

I've been nipping off to have a cheeky play every now and again. It definitley seems like it's going to deliver for me. I'm loving it. It feels really nice to play and use. The switches have a nice click, the pots turn smoothly and all of the EQ and tilt controls have a centre detent. The headphone out is excellent. At 7kg it's still lightweight compared to my ABM-600, but it's not as light as it could be if it didn't have the wooden case. I like the aesthetic though. It looks like a classic amp. Laney chose the visual appeal over it being the lightest thing and I'm pleased they did.

• Like 3

Just a few more thoughts to add. Yes, it takes drive really well, but you can also get a lovely plummy sound out of it too. You can easily get a full sounding vintage 60's sort of a sound, or a more modern pop sound, but it's never too harsh. There's a smoothness to the top end that you don't get in some amps. Laney have really knocked it out of the park for me with this one. I don't think I'll be changing amp any time soon.

Volume wise, I had it in mixed mode, each on about 3 or 4 out of 10 into my 212. Any more and it was too much. Lots of power available.

It is also total a bargain at £399 in most retailers. They could be charging £600 and you'd still be pleased with the tone and build quality.

The headphone out sounds great too, so I'm sure the DI will be of equal quality. I'll give that a try soon.

10 hours ago, la bam said:

They're great. The mid selector makes a big difference to any drive sounds too. And it's so easy to get a good sound even just running it flat and with the tilt dial. 

Yeah, just so easy to get lovely tones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DGBass said:

Just out of curiousity, does the Digbeth 500 have a tube in it? Or is it a tube emulation thing? 🤔

There's no tube, I'm assuming that it's like having a fancy pedal in your head. I don't personally care though. Less potential for breakage and still sounds great. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

I've actually got my first gig with it on Saturday alongside Godless Suns, Battalions and Witchsorrow (we're Hora). Really looking forward to using it live. 

453414422_927827139147122_1005452810423925492_n.thumb.jpg.c9d4716400bf593ed3f33ee19445f35e.jpg

Oh sweet I'll have to check you guys out. Say hi to riff monkey in godless suns (from Andy in gévaudan)

• Like 1