Why become a member? ×

When nails grow up a bit!

nilorius

For me, when my right hand finger nails grow up a bit, the quality of my bass playing badly slips off. Balanced volume, speed.... Of course when it happens - at once trim the nails. For some one else - is it the same?  

Yes. One of the guitar players I play with often comments on my tone.

He laughs at me when I say I need to cut my nails or that I've just cut my nails.

He notices the difference but doesn't believe it's the nails. Go figure. 

Always keep clippers in my car (I'm not as fastidious as @Doctor J)

Edited by TimR
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, nilorius said:

For me, when my right hand finger nails grow up a bit, the quality of my bass playing badly slips off. Balanced volume, speed.... Of course when it happens - at once trim the nails. For some one else - is it the same?  

Yep out comes the nail file.

• Haha 1

Of course. I have a nail bed that leaves a lot of nail exposed at the end of my fingertips. I also have strong nails, but they will chip and get ragged.

Every two weeks for full over-haul: cut and shape with a glass file. In between, I keep emery boards around and tweak them.

4 hours ago, Jeffb28451 said:

Of course. I have a nail bed that leaves a lot of nail exposed at the end of my fingertips. I also have strong nails, but they will chip and get ragged.

Every two weeks for full over-haul: cut and shape with a glass file. In between, I keep emery boards around and tweak them.

Seems like you feel yourself as a great nail surender.

• Like 1

As a bassist, mandolin player, figerpicking guitarist and occasional banjo player I find I'm never happy with the nails on my right hand regardless of the length.

I tend to go shorter on the basis that I play less guitar and banjo than I do bass, but the moment I pick up a geetar or banjo I then instantly grumble.

I was never happy with my nails but in recent years I started using a pick with bass. I was getting some pains in there (age related) and a lot of the music I like suits that style. I know a few people get sniffy about bass with a pick but locally I have quite a good reputation so I don't mind what a few online trolls think. 

Otherwise, you are forever balancing the need for different nail lengths for different instruments. There seemed to be about one day in every cutting cycle where they were about right for bass and other instruments. Normally it was too long or short for something all the time. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jonnybass said:

I clip my nails every 7 days.  Both hands, right hand first, just in case I cant finish at least my picking hand is done :)

Jonny

I like the message that you are conveying here - the life of a bassist is so fast-moving and exciting, that we may be called upon to dep for a gig midway through cutting our nails!

Snip snip snip snip ...

Ring ring.

Blues in E, 15 times? I'll be right there...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I like the message that you are conveying here - the life of a bassist is so fast-moving and exciting, that we may be called upon to dep for a gig midway through cutting our nails!

Snip snip snip snip ...

Ring ring.

Fast and responsive, that is good !

Always have my nails cut as short as possible. Since my profession  is working as a blacksmith it's a side effect not to collect additional dirt.On the other hand it's a PITA to open up packaging from the super market.☺

17 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Snip snip snip snip ...

Ring ring.

To be honest, its more my irrational fear of being interrupted and not getting back to finish the nails... :)

Jonny