Why become a member? ×

Fender Vintera 60s P Bass Truss Rod

Jonrh98

Currently on the hunt for a p bass to add to the collection, with toss up between the Player II and the 60s Vintera.

Vintera has far more pros for me - prefer the sound of the pickup, love the vintage radius and frets and the gloss neck. However, it's an old style crosshead truss rod adjustment, which worries me as the varied temperatures of my practice spaces result in fairly regular truss rod adjustments to be needed on my MIM jazz, and I don't want that process to be a real faff.

I would love to know, from those who have a Vintera - can the truss rod be adjusted (using a crank tool like the Stew Mac one) through the small pickguard notch WITHOUT loosening the neck? Opinons seem to be mixed online, but if slight adjustments can be made without capoing, loosening bolts and tilting neck back then that would be fab.

Vintage features!  Baseball bat necks, hidden truss rods, glossy necks and cheapo bridges.  I'm glad bass guitars have evolved.  

What do I know though, I saw a bloke driving an Austin Allegro the other day, I'm sure he thought he was driving a cool retro car.  I just remember the crap Allegro my dad had.  it was crap back then and now it's even worse.

Maybe I'm just a philistine.

One of the things JMJ presumably specified for his signature mustang that deviated from the his 1967 original is the truss rod access route and corresponding cutout in the pickguard. When I bought my first JMJ mustang it slightly irked me that this cutout wasn't vintage-correct, however having been able to adjust the truss rod effortlessly using the stewmac tool without even loosening the strings has far outweighed any initial reservations I had about how it looks. I am surprised that this simple feature wasn't carried across to the heel-adjusting vintera models as the vintera mustang currently in my possession needs the neck bolts to be loosened to get to the truss rod nut.

Also the stewmac tool is so perfect for adjusting the rod on the JMJ, that it would seem to be a no-brainer for Fender to license it and include one with any bass it would work with, just like they include a hex key with every squier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

There’s a handy tool stew Mac make - it’s about £12/£15

Yes, that's the one I have (actually I have two of them)

image.thumb.png.fe4d5c1462733c74437bebf6c47c841a.png

It works like a dream for the JMJ with the extra route, but in my experience there's not enough room to get it in place on the vintera mustang.

8 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Yes, that's the one I have (actually I have two of them)

image.thumb.png.fe4d5c1462733c74437bebf6c47c841a.png

It works like a dream for the JMJ with the extra route, but in my experience there's not enough room to get it in place on the vintera mustang.

Unsurprisingly…I bought it for a bass I’d just bought, and sold it before the tool arrived.

• Like 1