Why become a member? ×

Lyric writing for beginners book - suggestions, please.

solo4652

Due to ongoing neck, shoulder and arm issues, I'm having to take a break from playing the bass. Very limited home playing, and no band rehearslas or gigs. Big hole in my life, which may become permanent. I've been writing poetry on and off for years, and I'm now considering having a go at song lyric writing. I don't have an extensive background in musical theory but I'd like to start the process of lyric writing. I'm inviting suggestions for books, online resources to get me started, please. 

Look up Jimmy Webb ‘Tunesmith….Inside the art of writing’. On Hatchett books. I’m sure he also has an autobiography out of his earlier days in the music business.

I found the  book ‘How to write one song’ by Jeff Tweedy inspiring for composition. Tweedy is the leader of the American band Wilco but you don’t need to know anything about them for the book to be meaningful.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I found the  book ‘How to write one song’ by Jeff Tweedy inspiring for composition. Tweedy is the leader of the American band Wilco but you don’t need to know anything about them for the book to be meaningful.

Thanks. I've ordered a copy.

• Like 2

I’ve got a copy of this: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/631443/writing-better-lyrics-by-pat-pattison/

It’s really useful for technique/craft, in much the same way as we need to work on these with our bass playing. It takes you through the whole  process, starting with generating ideas in the first place (which I always find the most difficult bit).

A lot of the advice isn’t dissimilar to that in Tweedy’s book, which I also have (and which is probably a more entertaining read!), but may be a worthwhile addition nonetheless.

Anyway, leaving all that aside, if you’re writing poetry I’d say you’re already most of the way there with lyric writing - you’ve found something that matters to you enough to express it in carefully chosen words. 

I shall look forward to some uploads to the music sharing part of the forum in the near future!

I have read George Martins book (Beatles ) and Stings autobiography, both books recommend in reading the “classics “ in literature and poetry. Sting was an English teacher before he made it big , so there must be something in it .

Lyric writing is a massively underestimated skill , Elton needed Bernie .

If the song can tell a good story , that people can relate to , that’s a good lyric .

In pre internet times , ancient African / Aboriginal/ Red Indian history and folklore was passed down from generation to generation in song / music form , so good story telling in music is essential. The Beatles understood this .

A note book.

If you hear or think of an interesting phrase write it down. Any odd bits of lyrics that come to you , write them down. Sometimes more structured ideas will come to you,  write them down.  When you come to actually finalise your song's lyrics those notes can be a useful resource for filling in gaps when you just need a line to finish a verse etc. 

I've kept many such note books over the years and it's not uncommon for me to use a phrase I jotted down ten years ago in a song I'm writing now .

I Sometimes make notes just brainstorming ideas for months on a theme before moulding them into lyrics.20240815_060235.thumb.jpg.33f57a3da9e38e052f2c2f9727c4c905.jpg20240815_060151.thumb.jpg.e6b90e324e4bed247adeda72bb9b9b65.jpg

The current A4 book showing the notes, rough work and out takes from a recently finished song. I had the original idea about ten years ago and finally got it done a few months back after a few false starts.  It's a silly country and western song. 

The book is filling up with pages of similar gibberish that may or may not find it's way into a song.

A thesaurus and rhyming dictionary are useful too.

Edited by Dom in Dorset
Does anyone actually read this bit?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, diskwave said:

Does everything really have to be learnt? Did Joni, Dylan, or Bowie have to consult a set of instructions? Formalising a process is the killer of originaity.

Couple of points you raise here:  Is originality the best outcome? I love Dylan but he wasn't original. Borrowed, and in the early days outright stole, much from others.

Learning vs formalising a process of learning: It all has to be learnt. Bowie learnt his craft. OK, not by consulting a set of instructions, but got his vocal style by mimicking Anthony Newly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diskwave said:

...Formalising a process is the killer of originality.

For some..? Maybe. For most..? Not at all. It's an alternative to the 'infinite monkeys on infinite typewriters' approach. B|

• Like 1