Why become a member? ×

Bringing stuff for other people

Sunday's gig was a record for providing stuff for other band members to use.

I did not bring it for others - it is all my stuff, for me to use. 

I used a Philips screwdriver to tighten up my own strap button. 

But the drummer said "are there any headphones?" I had a set 

The electric guitarist asked for a plectrum. I had a dozen. 

The acoustic guitarist was complaining that his battery was faulty (it was 5 ½ years old), and I had bought a spare for my bass the day before. So, I handed it over.

The electric guitarist asked for a cable extension for his IEMs.  I had two.

5 items needed - only one by me, and four by others.

I take the view that, if the other band members can't play, then I would be playing on my own - and I don't want that. However, I am wondering why the need for headphones, batteries, and a plectrum,  took other musicians by surprise...

Gentle rant over. I was happy to be able to help. 

Edited by bass_dinger
  • Like 10

If you allow yourself to be the band dad once you will always be the band dad.

Keys player - "I've forgotten my iPad"
Me               - "Well just download the Behringer app for your phone then."
Keys player - "Which one is it?"
Me               - "I have no idea, I don't use it"

He finally downloads one...

Keys player - "How do I use this?"
Me               - "I have no idea, I don't use it"

Keys player - "Well that's not very helpful, is it?"

All this while I'm setting the PA up and he has already got a pint in his hand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I do a gig, with the same band on August Bank holiday on the Seafront in Deal.

I've been doing it for 12 years now.

We would often have special guests turn up and play and our mate Chris (RIP) would play his 12 String acoustic on Wish you were here.

Every year he turned up with a guitar lead that didn't reach the desk (which was only a few feet away) I always had a spare.

Last year it was his Son that came and played the 12 string on the same song (it was quite emotional) I can't remember if he had a long enough lead but I had the spare just in case.

I always have spare mic leads, vocal mics, bits and pieces, gaffa tape etc

• Like 5

I believe this is the bassist's lot in life.

It sort of makes sense though: we have chosen a role in the band which is actually utterly fundamental but perhaps not as loaded with glamour as certain other roles - perhaps the personality traits that lead to that also lead to us being the person who carries a toolkit, knows how to set up the PA, hustles gigs, prints setlsits, manages the social media, carries a float for merch, knows how to de-escalate the singer etc etc etc 

I'm not sure how firmly my tongue is in my cheek here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have a mix of hardware and plans to cover scenarios with spares and things we have in use. For example:

The band uses a one box mixer and pa amp, so I carry a spare mixer and cables to feed it into my bass amp, and out to the pa speakers.

We often have to use a 3rd party's generator which sometimes fails, so my backup rig is battery powered and the spare mixer can also be battery powered.

And so on...

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I had to lend my spare tuner to the guitarist on Saturday!

That's unusual  - a guitarist wanting to tune up. 

As for my Bass Case, I only have it because I was previously forgetting stuff.  By putting everything in one place, it was easier to store at home, and would guarantee that when I picked it up, I would have everything that I needed.  Tuner. Spanners. Screwdrivers. Battery.  Capo. Guitar strings.  Mandolin strings.  Electric guitar strings. Contact cleaner spray.  Swiss Army Knife.  Everything that I need - but it turns out that the people who need it are the clowns with whom I play.

As @lemmywinks said, I am becoming the band dad. That's great all the while I am helping the band out of an emergency.  But it only became an emergency because they didn't plan for the eventuality of (say) a flat battery, or, oooh, the possibility that they might want to strum the guitar that they bought with them. 

Thinking back, I have needed five batteries before or during a gig. Two for me, which made me always have them with me. And three for other band members who think that the time to change the battery is 5 minutes after it fails. 

So far, it hasn't cost me much  - three batteries from Pound-U-Love or whatever, is not going to break the bank.  But it does show me that I am working with people who think that winging it is a lifestyle choice...

• Like 5

Maybe we should design a universal band first aid box. Paid for out of band funds, of course - but to be maintained and policed by bassists only...

I carry:

-handful of batteries (9v and AA)

-picks

-bass strings

-a couple of every likely lead

-2 DI boxes

-a cheapo supermarket pocket tool kit (mini screwdrivers, small screwdriver with interchangable heads, pliers, snips)

-little folding multi-tool thing

-cheap Behringer cable tester

-mini torch

-a plastic box with a variety of audio and stand adaptors (eg minijack to full jack, RCA>jack)

-USB leads

-memory sticks/SD cards

-a couple of mains>USB plugs

-gaffa

-biros and a Sharpie

-blank paper

-paracetamol and ibuprofen, plasters

-disposible ear plugs

It isn't all sex, drugs and glamour, I hasten to add.

• Like 11

It cuts both ways - last weekend i had to borrow a pick from our guitarist as I had left the three I have taken to every gig for the last x years on my desk at home.

And it was a really nice pick too, right stiffness and thinner than mine.

First gig with band in 2010, 120 miles from home, singist hasleft mic bag at home and drummer had done the same with his stick case. I sorted the former although meant no BVs from me, rhythm guitarist - I suspect with good reason - takes sticks to all gigs so sorted the latter. I only gigged with them the once 

• Confused 1

I am very forgetful, so the only way I know I'm going to arrive at a gig with all my gear. . . . I'm the only one who packs it away after a gig, and I never unpack any of it at home. 

One of the many reasons I walked on my band recently was a similar lack of professionalism when it came to preparedness.

I don't mind helping out for genuinely unforseen problems, new battery comes out of the box dead, a lead that was fine the previous night now U/S, etc, but routine lack of preparedness in others quickly becomes tiresome.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

I'm definitely the band dad, and have been forever, I also used to be the PA guy at different events when i was a student (mostly with borrowed kit) so i've always had a selection of adapters and cables etc, at one point i had 3 silver cases with all the stuff in and marked them 1,2,3 so i could direct any helpers to the right case to find stuff.

My band is a 3 piece made up of 3 very close friends, the drummer was best man at my wedding and I've known the guitarist almost as long. i carry strings, plectrums, spare cables, tools etc as much for my own kit as for my bandmates.

I actually put together a EGC kit (Every gig carry) in a dedicated case so I know that I have all the required kit and can just grab the case and throw it in my bag and know that i have everything. I am also custodian of the Pa cables so they're all in a couple of holdalls (speaker and power in one, instrument and mic in the other)

• Like 2

Same here. As well as owning all the pa, I seem to be the only one who carries any spares. It does get on my wick sometimes when I`m trying to get the pa up and running and the 2 guitarist`s are faffing about getting their "tone" sorted instead of helping with the set up. But maybe they are better out of it as they would knacker the gear due to not knowing single thing about it.

Clearly no one here has worked in a pit. U turn up empty handed and all you get is a possy of disparaging looks... and rightly so. In the pro, semi pro world you have to take responsibility....double and triple check ur kit before hitting the road.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

Nothing would make me happier than handing a guitarist in need the 2mm picks I use on heavy steel rounds..... 😈

Our punk guitarist often asks me for a pick, even though I've told her repeatedly I don't use one.

I do have a few kicking about though, including a 2mm job. I'm going to do that next time she asks.

There was a time where I always brought a full repair kit including soldering iron, tools, spare parts, valves, jack sockets, guitar and bass strings, plectrums, batteries etc and I was the only one in the band who had an old Boss TU-12 tuner. I recall one gig at the Cathouse in Glasgow where I repaired several guitars owned by other bands with mostly dodgy jack sockets and leads in one evening. Needless to say my TU-12 was passed around everywhere with everyone until one day it wasn't returned. I have also been the PA provider in past bands and rarely ever got any help or thanks for doing so. Things aren't so bad these days. I only jam with folks who have their own tuners and ken how to intonate their instruments. I've found that people who know how to setup their instrumetns are mostly gear savvy as well and look after their rigs well.  My only "extras" contribution these days are the stands for the small powered PA speakers brought by my buddy. Everything else is for my setup alone and whittled down to bare minimum for lightness and fully checked prior to every outing. I wouldn't say I was a professional player, but it's not difficult adopting a professional mindset when it comes to my own gear, and doing my best to not be a burden to my bandmates.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

5 items needed - only one by me, and four by others.

I take the view that, if the other band members can't play, then I would be playing on my own - and I don't want that. However, I am wondering why the need for headphones, batteries, and a plectrum,  took other musicians by surprise...

Gentle rant over. I was happy to be able to help. 

I feel your pain

Sometimes I think that the others in the band purposely pretend they haven't got a lead for their guitar, or an extension lead, or a spare set of strings, or tape, or a battery, or a phillips screwdriver, just to make me feel useful for saving the day.......yet again.

• Haha 1

Our guitarist runs an amp repair business. Always has spare stuff.

Keys player runs a PA hire company, always has spare kit.

We have a band “tech” who has spares and repair kit with him.

But I still, as a matter of habit and a fear of “what if”, carry spares of everything bass and backline related to every gig. My kit, my responsibility. 

I’m always the guy bringing spares, and often the only one.

9v batteries are my bugbear - they’re about £5 for a decent one, but if someone needs a spare it then feels a bit mean asking for it back at the end of a gig. Gets expensive quickly tho.

I’ve got a sports bag with all my leads, mics, plugs, adaptors, tools etc which just tracks between gigs. I try not to take much out of it for home use cos it upsets my slightly anal system!

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

9v batteries are my bugbear - they’re about £5 for a decent one, but if someone needs a spare it then feels a bit mean asking for it back at the end of a gig. Gets expensive quickly tho.

I suffered the same situation in a previous band, where people knew I’d always have some new spares.

Incidentally though mine worked out around only a quid each - Duracell Procells via eBay if

buying a box of 10. Made the loss a bit easier to bear! 

• Like 1