Why become a member? ×

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Just f***ing love them, simple as. Saw them miming at the Olympic closing ceremony last night, and even that made me smile.

Over and above always seeming to land albums at pivotal points in my life - I was living in Venice Beach when BSSM was released, fell in love to One Hot Minute only to experience a very painful break-up soundtracked by Californication, with something of a recovery to Stadium Arcadium (yep, long and tough tough break-up) - it’s probably also a combination of my being the same age as Flea, having been a slap player in a funk-rock band in 85-86, and having that strange sense that no matter how much I love mote credible styles, and especially Jazz and upright, if there was one band I’d love to have played in….

Another upside, wearing a RHCP t-shirt tends to get you served quicker in bars 😆

• Like 5

I’m not a particular fan but I watched last nights performance and thought it was the best live performance I’ve seen from them for a while. Probably helped that it was a song from my fave album of theirs. 

• Like 1

Mixed feeling about them ..

Before I had anything by them , I tagged along with a friend and saw an amazing gig by them at the marquee . Positive mental octopus tour . 
I then purchased the Mother's milk album a couple of days later . I returned it . Not my thing . 
Saw them at the Kilburn national / forum with Henry Rollins supporting . They were ok , not as good as before . Henry Rollins didn't do much for me . 

Things are a bit blurry now , as I've lost interest in them now . I have the Blood sugar and One Hot Minute albums . Both really good , but I prefer one hot minute . I have the californication album , but only played it a couple of times . .meh! 

I saw them play Wembley arena where they were only wearing socks . Rubbish gig imho. 

Saw bits of them on jools Holland show , and they looked back on form . ( They may never have been off form , just my observation).

The Anthony keidis book is good . 

The person I have most respect for in that band is Chad Smith . 

I first became aware of the RHCP with the release of the Abbey Road EP and have been hooked ever since.

Mother’s Milk was therefore my first proper RHCP album and I have a real soft spot for it.

I’ve seen them many times with Kiedis being in various levels of form. I forgive this as the rest of them are just so good IMHO.

Love the little side jams they shove in the set, something which I’ve tried to incorporate into my band.

I was very sad to see John leave, but if he hadn’t, we wouldn’t have One Hot Minute, which I also love.

30 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

The person I have most respect for in that band is Chad Smith . 

Please do not read anything into this statement other than my massive appreciation for Chad Smith.

Any band with Chad Smith in it is going to be cooking on gas. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

Just f***ing love them, simple as. Saw them miming at the Olympic closing ceremony last night, and even that made me smile.

Over and above always seeming to land albums at pivotal points in my life - I was living in Venice Beach when BSSM was released, fell in love to One Hot Minute only to experience a very painful break-up soundtracked by Californication, with something of a recovery to Stadium Arcadium (yep, long and tough tough break-up) - it’s probably also a combination of my being the same age as Flea, having been a slap player in a funk-rock band in 85-86, and having that strange sense that no matter how much I love mote credible styles, and especially Jazz and upright, if there was one band I’d love to have played in….

Another upside, wearing a RHCP t-shirt tends to get you served quicker in bars 😆

Yep, love them too. Been a fan since Mother's Milk. Love the Hillel years and most of every album since. 

Josh's two albums were pretty good but John is a shaman.

Yes they cop a lot of flak but I care not a jot. My relationship to their music is between only me and the band and we're all good 😄

BloodSugarSexMagic is one of try all time favourite albums, and One Hot Minute is great too. I think they've passed their best, and haven't really been impressed by their last couple of albums, but they've had more great albums than bad ones.

Sadly though there are two convicted sex offenders in that band - surprisingly neither of them is Keidis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

that was Flea and Chad. :(

I thought it was those two that got convicted of trying to forcibly undress an audience member whereas Paedis was charged for rubbing his gentals on a woman's face?

Can't keep track of it, that's before we get into Paedis' preference for minors.

I think kiedis’ open admissions his Autobiography are pretty much grounds for conviction…

he has been done for something, I just can’t recall what.

Chad and Flea was something to do with a girl at their gig being pulled out of the audience.

Just now, paul_5 said:

I keep meaning to revisit that one; didn’t exactly scratch my itch when I first heard it.

Yeah - I read it twice…both times I wasn’t in a good headspace (break ups…)

I think I lent my copy out and have no clue where it is now.

One of my all time favourite bands, BSSM in my opinion is one of the best records in the genre ever written.  I haven't enjoyed the direction they've gone in recently and definitely prefer the Josh records to the recent two Frusciante, which are largely packed with forgettable tracks.

• Like 1

I liked em from the start, and BSSM was the pinnacle for me. Not that keen on subsequent albums - some good songs among it all though. They always seem strangely disappointing live. 

Funnily enough I've been deeply un-keen since Antwan The Swan started "singing". So basically Californiaction on...

And I saw 'em at their first UK gig at the Clarendon in Hammersmith, home of the legendary Klubfoot.

But still a fan of everything up to BSSM - even had a dodgy ciggy with Flea at an aftershow party at the Astoria where we discussed a mutual love of P-Funk.