Why become a member? ×

What to clean DB fingerboard?

I just picked up a really lovely old Musima bass which will do for my indoor and outdoor gigs. 

However, the fingerboard is err, a bit rank!

I’m going to swap the strings so I can clean it then. What would you recommend I use to do so?

Appreciate it.

Holland and Barrett is doing buy one get one half price on organic lemon oil (the kind of thing that's used in aromatherapy) - it's highly purified: there's a link here:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/tisserand-lemon-organic-pure-essential-oil-9ml-60039857

I have a couple of bottles and have been very pleased with the results on an ebony board.  I also use isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit (approx 90% ethanol) for nasty stickiness!

6 hours ago, three said:

Holland and Barrett is doing buy one get one half price on organic lemon oil (the kind of thing that's used in aromatherapy) - it's highly purified: there's a link here:

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/tisserand-lemon-organic-pure-essential-oil-9ml-60039857

I have a couple of bottles and have been very pleased with the results on an ebony board.  I also use isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit (approx 90% ethanol) for nasty stickiness!

That’s a great tip. I have a bottle I used for electric bass fretboards which I used. All this help was perfect in cleaning up the bass and getting it ready for new strings

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NickA said:

On your fingerboard? Doesn't the wax gunge the strings up? 

It’s more or less wipe on wipe off so no. You do not need to slather it on and make sure you do wipe it off and buff lightly after a short time. 

The lustre from the finger boards is lovely. 

• Like 1