Why become a member? ×

so many lovely preamps for sale at the moment!

LukeFRC

Just an observation 

A while back I had to really hunt for the preamp I wanted... currently there's so many nice ones in the forsale forum!

Just on the first two pages...

3leaf Enabler

Broughton Messenger Jr
Broughton Studio One

JHS colourbox v2

Providence Bass Station

Walrus Badwater

Eden WTDI 

HX stomp x2

EBS Microbass 3

Markbass vintage preamp

Nux MLD

If I had had that kinda choice when I was looking I probably would have got frozen with option paralysis (before getting the Studio One because they are so rarely up for sale in the UK) - as it is I ended up with a Colourbox v2 that is absolutely amazing... so I don't mind - but man what a lot of great stuff in the first two pages!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tobiewharton said:

And the majority of the full list are bargainlicious!

honestly when I was looking I'ld probably have been happy with any of 

3leaf Enabler

Broughton Messenger Jr
Broughton Studio One

Providence Bass Station 

JHS colourbox v2

and EBS microbes 2 which I'm sure someone will be along with in a little bit! The first 4 are almost unicorns to find, and the colourbox doesn't come up that often secondhand. 

If you want to include rack mount, then trawl through the Amps for sale section far enough and you’ll find I was trying to sell the superb SWR Marcus Miller pre a while ago with zero interest.

I'm gonna be contrary and say I can't see much point in preamp pedals. 

Perhaps they are useful playing through a PA with no backline and not wanting to DI from an Amp, but multi-fx would seem a more flexible option to me for that most of the time.  Even a cheap multi-fx unit will do a better live job by having Amp/Drive/Cab/IR/EQ/HPF/LPF and presets all available. And if playing live at pub sort of level then most players still go through an actual Amp which includes a preamp so not much need for a pedal version. And if home recording then a clean signal generally seems best (to then edit later) - multi-fx can act as an interface to your Laptop for that whereas many preamp pedals can't. 

I dunno, but they kind of seem to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for 90% of situations.........perhaps why so many are for sale on here?!

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 4

I dunno. For years I had the MXR M80 at the end of my board. Yes it was the proper preamp when I started to work towards going ampless, but even before that it was useful. It helped bring shared or rented backline that wasn't to my taste into line, it was a great DI to the pa when we weren't providing our own system and it let me use the amp entirely as I saw fit when we were. Always nice to have more eq there if you need it, can always be turned off it you don't. That particular preamp had a distortion channel. Maybe you want to use one to boost your slap or fingerstyle so it's the same volume as pick playing? I can think of many reasons.

Maybe multi effects units can do all of thsoe things too, but up until the current generation I didn't feel as though I could make fast changes on the fly with multi effects. Hell, they still aren't as fast or as clear as 'one knob one function' analogue pedals.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Perhaps they are useful playing through a PA with no backline and not wanting to DI from an Amp, but multi-fx would seem a more flexible option to me for that most of the time.  Even a cheap multi-fx unit will do a better live job by having Amp/Drive/Cab/IR/EQ/HPF/LPF and presets all available. And if playing live at pub sort of level then most players still go through an actual Amp which includes a preamp so not much need for a pedal version. And if home recording then a clean signal generally seems best (to then edit later) - multi-fx can act as an interface to your Laptop for that whereas many preamp pedals can't. 

I dunno, but they kind of seem to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for 90% of situations.........perhaps why so many are for sale on here?!

The nice thing about multifx is the ability to set and forget. The trouble with cheap multifx like my Zoom B1-4 is that they can be noisy and you end up loading them up with a noise reduction patch which can take a little of the life out of your sound. But the flexibility is fantastic. I was eyeing up the Walrus Badwater as a tempting prospect but then discovered that the "lower" mid range starts from 500Hz and the "upper" mids go from 3.5kHz to 7.5kHz. So a big gap in the 100 Hz to 250 Hz in terms of being able to add a bit of weight to your bass tone, and not really adding too much to our desk in terms of tone shaping. 

So maybe the best of both worlds is going to be a decent rather than a cheap multifx and it will, of course, do a lot else besides.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SumOne said:

Perhaps they are useful playing through a PA with no backline

exactly what I am doing. Before the no backline thing I didn't have any pedals at all... 

For me the difference is about sound quality, which is subjective I know... but I sold my HX stomp when I got the colourbox and then started buying a few analogue pedals to give me a palette of tones. If I could only use one unit I would still choose the colourbox over any multifx I've tried - because it just sounds great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

Hmmmm...

A discussion that's been had many times and to which there is no conclusion!

FWIW, IMO and all that, the two approaches have their benefits.

If we're really honest with ourselves most listeners (and even fellow musicians) won't notice the difference - the value of the things is in our using of them. I have no issue with that. Within reason of course - excessive noise, fizzy distortion and other artefacts can be universally horrible!

I use a multifx on my fly rig. It's practical for that job. I don't love using it. Stompboxes (analogue or digital) allow for a modular set up with its own 'feel'; the process of using the units can itself be a worthwhile 'experience'.

Before even getting to that stage, I love the nerdy fiddling required to build the pedalboard in the first place 🤣

• Like 2

I do actually like preamp pedals and have owned quite a few, but I suppose it's just my situation that I usually find I don't really need them as I play through an amp/cab, or use multi fx as an recording interface. 

I can definitely see the use of individual pedals for things that get stomped on/off a lot or need a lot of live adjusting. 

• Like 1

I like the Sadowksy Pre. I have been using one since the 1990's , a fantastic piece of kit. 

- passive bass it can add heft

- with my MTD it's a smooth and "body" thing

As per Luke FRC comment, it is a tone thing

Recently I have also purchased a SGFX Beta V . This is excellent for Passive Bass to SS Amp for adding grit and depth not fuzz and brittle. It is a cool pedal. 

On 13/08/2024 at 15:38, SumOne said:

It’s a fair point and many will agree… but I offer this not all gear is equal and not all preamps are equal. 

For context: I’m playing into a Fender Rumble 210 combo. A fine amp in its own right and I’m selling the JHS colourbox but not because it’s redundant.

I initially used the JHS with a tube DI for a compact versatile set up for iem/foh ampless set up as that’s what I was doing gig wise at the time. Simple quick set up, minimal fuss, no menu diving for instant tweaks when needed. Then came the opportunity to buy a full tube preamp (desert island type unit) so the colour box is for sale. Shortly after the gig evolved and I went back to using an amp live as the drummer and I liked the feeling on stage.

I have used the jhs on my pedal board for additional oomph and it gave me lots of eq options as it can really add/lift other pedals, shape drives, push the tube preamp, fantastic as boost etc). 

As @Al Krow pointed out some bass specific preamps don’t offer the control in the eq areas we like, prefer or even need on a gig -  be that the lower mids or upper mids, even the lows are sometimes too low - 40Hz wouldn’t be my choice as I like the 60-80 range. I could just be sniffing my own farts here but I digress. The JHS allowed me to set the eq where I wanted it to suit my ears and mix. I’ve tried many eq/preamp pedals and few sound as nice as the JHS or offered the flexibility for what I like to tweak.

The JHS was a really useful tool for recording and my mate borrowed it for use on a range of sources. Sure you can do it in the box but it’s nice to use decent  gear at the source. Different workflow, new gear can inspire ideas etc. 

My tube pre does different things to the JHS and they compliment each other but pedalboard space is limited and the tube unit just does this wonderful thing few other preamps I’ve used can. The JHS made my amp sound better the tube pre makes it sound class! The lifting a blanket off the speaker type impact and that’s going into the 1/4” input and not bypassing the pre on the amp. 

Buying gear, trying it out and moving it on doesn’t mean an item is redundant. It’s as much a gas issue as it is curiosity, preference, on our needs change for the guys we’re playing but yeah basically it’s “The gas is always greener…”

I’m sure we’d agree in a pinch an amp and a bass will do just fine on most gigs. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, krispn said:

It’s a fair point and many will agree… but I offer this not all gear is equal and not all preamps are equal. 

For context: I’m playing into a Fender Rumble 210 combo. A fine amp in its own right and I’m selling the JHS colourbox but not because it’s redundant.

I initially used the JHS with a tube DI for a compact versatile set up for iem/foh ampless set up as that’s what I was doing gig wise at the time. Simple quick set up, minimal fuss, no menu diving for instant tweaks when needed. Then came the opportunity to buy a full tube preamp (desert island type unit) so the colour box is for sale. Shortly after the gig evolved and I went back to using an amp live as the drummer and I liked the feeling on stage.

I have used the jhs on my pedal board for additional oomph and it gave me lots of eq options as it can really add/lift other pedals, shape drives, push the tube preamp, fantastic as boost etc). 

As @Al Krow pointed out some bass specific preamps don’t offer the control in the eq areas we like, prefer or even need on a gig -  be that the lower mids or upper mids, even the lows are sometimes too low - 40Hz wouldn’t be my choice as I like the 60-80 range. I could just be sniffing my own farts here but I digress. The JHS allowed me to set the eq where I wanted it to suit my ears and mix. I’ve tried many eq/preamp pedals and few sound as nice as the JHS or offered the flexibility for what I like to tweak.

The JHS was a really useful tool for recording and my mate borrowed it for use on a range of sources. Sure you can do it in the box but it’s nice to use decent  gear at the source. Different workflow, new gear can inspire ideas etc. 

My tube pre does different things to the JHS and they compliment each other but pedalboard space is limited and the tube unit just does this wonderful thing few other preamps I’ve used can. The JHS made my amp sound better the tube pre makes it sound class! The lifting a blanket off the speaker type impact and that’s going into the 1/4” input and not bypassing the pre on the amp. 

Buying gear, trying it out and moving it on doesn’t mean an item is redundant. It’s as much a gas issue as it is curiosity, preference, on our needs change for the guys we’re playing but yeah basically it’s “The gas is always greener…”

I’m sure we’d agree in a pinch an amp and a bass will do just fine on most gigs. 

I agree, EQ is so important. For my fretless it's essential to have control over low and hi mids, and as you say, 40 Hz, unless it's shelving, is just too low for most average bass cabs to cope with. 

In that respect the best pre amp I had was a TC Electronic TC1140, 4 band fully parametric but setting up bandwidths and precise centres could be a pain and there are easier ways to do it now. I still miss it's precision and versatility tho (should never have got rid of it!).

These days we play thru a Behringer xr18, so I have the luxury of using some classic plug in EQs and comps in a live setting, plus the digital eq with it's graphic display makes setting up EQ points and bandwidth so easy. The biggest game changer for me is having an analyser built in so I can see what frequencies are being generated and thus where to cut or boost. In fact it's so good I'm going to say the xr18 counts as a pre amp in its own right, especially as it's cheaper than some boutique pedals and means you can take a virtual studio to the gig. 

Multi FX are awesome these days and so versatile but I do like to start with getting the source tone where I want it, so for me even when I'm using a HX I'll get the tone sculpting done for my basic tone before I start. 

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

On 13/08/2024 at 08:29, Reggaebass said:

I can’t help myself looking at the Jule Monique preamp, lovely thing 

After looking at them for several years I broke down and found a used one in the US. That was about a year and a half ago. With the exchange and duty it wound up costing more than I anticipated , but I have no regrets whatsoever. 

I am a believer.
I usually run it into the effect return of my Forte , and that’s changed from a transparent hifi amp to a wonderful old school tube warmth. Monique is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, msb said:

After looking at them for several years I broke down and found a used one in the US. That was about a year and a half ago. With the exchange and duty it wound up costing more than I anticipated , but I have no regrets whatsoever. 

I am a believer.
I usually run it into the effect return of my Forte , and that’s changed from a transparent hifi amp to a wonderful old school tube warmth. Monique is a beautiful thing. 

Thanks msb, I’ve seen a few pictures of your setup and it looks wonderful, I will get one eventually, mainly for home use 

It was funny when I bought it … I posted in a forum that one was on the way , and Jule contacted me , and said he must have misplaced the order , but that he would make everything good.

I told him I had found a used one and that it was in transit.

He said I could have kept him going for a couple of weeks.

I’m using the Simone and love it. Gigged a Monique M700 for about 4-5yrs and it was a sublime amp. Simone is different but equally as satisfying to play. I’ve said before  it Simone is a better value unit IMO over the Noble but just that bit more bulky. Noble and a p bass is a great combination but Simone has more eq control and man that sensitivity control!!!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1