Why become a member? ×

Trying to track down information on Charvel/Modulus bass

Hi. Wondering of anyone can throw some light this way. Might be a long shot as quite a few years have passed but one never knows....

I bought a bass in March, 1987 from the Bass Centre in London, UK. This was a Charvel/Modulus custom built P/J style bass with EMG pickups and a Modulus BassStar carbon graphite neck. At that time, it was being sold as part of a collection of basses that John Entwistle was selling off, via his connection with the Bass Centre (at that time, the largest bass guitar store in Europe). Looking at other Entwistle basses of that era, one often sees EMGs on a Modulus, so that's a good sign!

What I am curious about is whether Charvel or Modulus actually assembled that bass for Entwistle and if there's any documentation available to support that. There are no serial numbers on the body or neck and the invoice merely states "Charvel/Modulus". I have no reason to doubt that the bass was actually part of Entwistle's collection, as he had an established relationship with the store and they were a reputable vendor. And I've chatted to a former associate of the store owners who confirms the relationship (Entwistle bought his Trace Elliot gear from them).

I realise that this is a long shot as it's over 37 years ago, but I've always wondered about "CHARVELS" sprayed in white letters on the bass case and whether they or Modulus had a direct hand in its construction!

I added the Badass bridge but still have the stock unit in the case.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions gratefully appreciated.

IMG_20240812_134940_567.jpg

IMG_20240812_134635_573.jpg

IMG_20240812_134731_797.jpg

• Like 2

At the time BaSSStar necks were available like Warmoths. Rarer, but MG produced several neck models. I've seen a poster from late 80's that most likely had a headless neck, too. MG made also complete basses with BaSSStar necks. I think most of them were similar to a J.

A Charvel body and an MG neck, why not? As the picture shows, the neck is 24 frets. Maybe the neck pocket and other dimensions were perfect for this combination. That looks very good, and certainly stays in tune.

EMG was very popular at the time, no wonder it was chosen. MG had (has) EMG as their standard choice, and bartolini, and later on, Lane Poor as custom options.

When I bought my Quantum 5, the shop had a glossy black lined fretless BaSSStar in their selection. It played like a dream - and vanished pretty soon.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input and info. Nice to read that there are other basses like mine out there (found one guy on talkbass.com who had a Wineberry version; the same except the 24 fret neck). Although on one hand it takes away its uniqueness but on the other, it means that there's a better chance I can track down the person who put the thing together.

Oh if only I'd been more inquisitive back in 1987 in Wapping when I bought the thing! I traded in a Wal Pro IIE against the Charvel/MG and that went off to New Zealand apparently... I wish I still had that Wal, though. Ian Waller did some custom work on it after I bought it, originally came with a fretless neck and I wanted fretted. Ah well, the decisions we make in life...

It probably was one of his. I had the John Entwistle 'bass culture' book a few years ago as a coffee table piece and I remember in that there was a white or cream Precision with P/J pickups and a Modulus neck on it. I recall it had a comment with it saying he had kept it as a 'messing around' bass. Very similar spec to what you have.