Why become a member? ×

Comparing amps

ped

Hi guys

Perhaps a stupid question but if I want to A/B compare two different amplifiers (each with it's own cabinet) do I just use an A/B pedal to switch between the two? I'm not likely to have a massive pop when I disengage one? Does the A/B pedal need to be a powered one to avoid that, or anything? I'm probably overthinking this...

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Put a tuner pedal in front of the A/B and mute first?

Yep, muting is the key. I did this with two massive Mesa rigs in a rehearsal studio a few years back and on reflection should have sought Jack's advice first :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Be aware that side by side rigs will damp the low end from the working one.

It’s this sort of thing I was wondering about. How does that work? Will splitting my signal (which isn’t buffered) be an issue too? I mean I can just use them totally separately because I think they’ll be pretty different - I don’t think I’ll be splitting hairs

The signal will be divided over two outputs on the splitter so each amp gets less gain into the input. Only a problem if you switch between using one and using both which will be much louder.

Room acoustics change by having more objects in, no different than having guitar rigs and such in the rehearsal space. Possibly a factor when recording something delicate. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.