Why become a member? ×

How do I remember...

DaveP

2 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

The number of people who turn up at open mikes and set up their tablet for the lyrics and chords is really depressing. If you can't be bothered to learn the words and tune then stay at home until you have! Your performance will be better for it as well.

PS: These are not only people who are just starting out (in which case it is sort of understandable).

Completely disagree, musicians have always used sheet music or pieces of paper with their notes scribbled down on, this is the modern day equivalent, I wouldn’t expect my singer to remember every word to every song of our 6 hour+ repertoire so why should I for every bass note? 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

Completely disagree, musicians have always used sheet music or pieces of paper with their notes scribbled down on, this is the modern day equivalent, I wouldn’t expect my singer to remember every word to every song of our 6 hour+ repertoire so why should I for every bass note? 

There was an old thread about music stands.

My view has always been that any physical barrier between the musician and the audience detracts from the preformance and the show.

I am particular in making sure that any aids don't distract from the performance and the audience are not aware of it.

Autocue is widely used by professionals. Even click tacks and cue tracks in ears is widespread. 

A bad performance is where people are focused on the sheets, the fretboard or their shoes.

Glancing at something by your knees for cues shouldn't be perceptible to the audience or distract from the performance. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

The number of people who turn up at open mikes and set up their tablet for the lyrics and chords is really depressing. If you can't be bothered to learn the words and tune then stay at home until you have! Your performance will be better for it as well.

PS: These are not only people who are just starting out (in which case it is sort of understandable).

Is turning up to play with a tablet any different to a classical musician turning up with sheet music?! Just a thought. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TimR said:

There was an old thread about music stands.

My view has always been that any physical barrier between the musician and the audience detracts from the preformance and the show.

I am particular in making sure that any aids don't distract from the performance and the audience are not aware of it.

Autocue is widely used by professionals. Even click tacks and cue tracks in ears is widespread. 

A bad performance is where people are focused on the sheets, the fretboard or their shoes.

Glancing at something by your knees for cues shouldn't be perceptible to the audience or distract from the performance. 

Yes. I have no problem with notes/cues/music/charts etc in whatever form, but they should not interfere with the interaction with the audience - so it comes down to how they are used. In bands I've played with where one or more people are reading directly from a sheet (usually the lyrics from a phone but occasionally charts) the performance suffers. I include myself in that where I've had to play a new piece 'on the night' from a chart. It always sounds dry, uninspired, lacklustre compared to playing it once I'm familiar with it. And, of course, constantly looking at the sheets means you're not connecting with the audience.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spacecowboy said:

Any singer who's performed an opera like Rossini's Semiramide (long and packed with notes) or any pianist with multiple concertos in their repertoire or the string quartet who premiered half an hour of Schoenberg from memory or etc etc etc isn't going to be impressed by this comment.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

Any singer who's performed an opera like Rossini's Semiramide (long and packed with notes) or any pianist with multiple concertos in their repertoire or the string quartet who premiered half an hour of Schoenberg from memory or etc etc etc isn't going to be impressed by this comment.

I have a full time job, 2 kids, 2 dogs and a wife. I play bars for £500. I'm taking my iPad, hopefully you won't be offended. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecowboy said:

I have a full time job, 2 kids, 2 dogs and a wife. I play bars for £500. I'm taking my iPad, hopefully you won't be offended. 

See, this is better, you're explaining why you aren't memorising by listing its place in your priorities rather than giving iffy excuses. And I'm not at all offended, if the bar I want to go to has a bunch of musicians stuck behind their dots, the next option is just a few yards away. We're all making choices, it's all good.

On 16/08/2024 at 12:27, Jo.gwillim said:

I go blank often in gigs however much i practise. It can be half a verse in before i remember whats what. My best defense is to practise playing along with random songs on Spotify so if i do have to wing it it won't sound too awful playing by ear for a bit.  I hope my band pals aren't reading this....

Maybe it'll work out better if you practiced along the songs you're supposed to have learnt, instead? ;) 

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2024 at 14:08, mcnach said:

Maybe it'll work out better if you practiced along the songs you're supposed to have learnt, instead? ;) 

Yes i do that too. It does help but things get worse as i get older, i wish I'd kept up with my sight reading. Our sax player just scribbles a few notes to remind her and she's off. I'm 70 now and retired, lots more time to practise but i forget more often too.