Why become a member? ×

When are flats too old?

ead

To change or not to change, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the thump and lack of sustain...etc.etc.  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do I change the 11-year old flats on a P bass I have just bought?

• No you muppet, they are just about run in now?
    • Yes! Please immediately fit some nice nickel round wound strings, you can still do the vintage bit.
    • What's a P bass?

I have just acquired a lovely P bass from a member on here with, let's say, some well used 11-year old flats.  No need for string muting now.

Just for a bit of fun what's my next action....

An occasional wipe with a soft cloth with some mineral oil (or lemon oil) will keep them clean, or if they're a bit grubby it should help clean them up. If they're stainless steel flats like D'addario chromes (my string of choice for my mustangs), they should pretty much go on forever. If the surface is pitted or manky and/or they sound bad or don't intonate, its probably time to think about investing in a new set.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I must admit I like new strings when I buy a used bass. Using someone else’s seems a bit gross, but then again, flats are smooth enough that they can be cleaned at least on the surface, to an extent. Personally though I’d start a new set. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

A wipe with isoprop or them alcohol glasses wipes, screen wipes or first aid wipes... or electrical cleaner

Yeah, I have done the string cleaning thing already.  They are in pretty decent condition so highly tempted to leave them on the bass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Which flats are they ead 

I'm really not sure.  The have black silks, but only at the tuner end.  All the ball-ends are gold coloured.

8 minutes ago, ead said:

I'm really not sure.  The have black silks, but only at the tuner end.  All the ball-ends are gold coloured.

They sound like labella 760FS , nice 

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Munurmunuh said:

Anyone throwing out 11 year old La Bellas ..... TUT TUT TUT

I'm only now beginning to realise what a lucky escape I have just had.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ead said:

I'm only now beginning to realise what a lucky escape I have just had.

Perhaps you've been doing it wrong all these years; you've been changing the strings on your basses, and should have been changing the basses on the strings?

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Bob Glaub was being interviewed and he said the 42 year old flats on his Precision bass made it sound like a million dollars. So you have a way to go before you think about changing those strings.

3 hours ago, ped said:

I must admit I like new strings when I buy a used bass. Using someone else’s seems a bit gross, but then again, flats are smooth enough that they can be cleaned at least on the surface, to an extent. Personally though I’d start a new set. 

I’m with you 100%. A strip down, clean and a set up is all part of taking ownership.

I did this on a double bass this week and now it feels mine. It’ll properly be part of the family after the first gig.