Why become a member? ×

When are flats too old?

ead

To change or not to change, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the thump and lack of sustain...etc.etc.  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do I change the 11-year old flats on a P bass I have just bought?

• No you muppet, they are just about run in now?
    • Yes! Please immediately fit some nice nickel round wound strings, you can still do the vintage bit.
    • What's a P bass?

I've got 11 or 12 year old La Bella flats on my short scale Precision copy, they sound fine and play really nicely.

On the first bass I bought in 1989 (a Shaftesbury Tele Bass copy) it had the original flat wounds on it and they must have been 20 years old already. I changed them for some Rotosounds one day at the behest of a band member but even he thought they sounded awful on that bass, so I swapped them back the next day.

If your flats sound alright and play okay, leave them on until one breaks then get a new set 👍

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Labella flats = the Volvo 940 of bass strings. 

Ah, good analogy. In addition to using Labella flats on all my P basses, I am also a dedicated Volvo driver. I think I'm on my 7th Volvo. I've had a 940, and two 740's too!.

Rob

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Ah, good analogy. In addition to using Labella flats on all my P basses, I am also a dedicated Volvo driver. I think I'm on my 7th Volvo. I've had a 940, and two 740's too!.

Rob

Likewise! An 850, a 940, a V40 and currently borrowing the mother in laws V70. 

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I struggle with flats. I lije to be able to feel the frets under the strings withou needing a grip like Geoff Capes.

My dainty fingers could not be less Geoff-like, but a very low action solves the problem set by 45-105 Chromes.

I don't quite understand why, but with them I prefer a gloss maple fingerboard over rosewood, it seems to help too 🤷

I'm on rounds nowadays and I don't have a big stable of basses to keep a variety of strings on. But I think I've never got past four or five years on a set of flatwounds before something about them doesn’t sound the best to me. I'm the same with Thomastik Spirocores on my double bass, which many bassists insist go for a decade or more.

You're 

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

Rob

You're definitely changing your Volvos too frequently. 

One 740 and one 940 should have been ample.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I change them when they won't intonate accurately. I find they lose it and become indistinct when they get really worn. I find longevity depends on the brand. La Bellas do seem to last well. I prefer Chromes on my J bass. I got 5 years of constant playing - using them virtually every day - out of my last set. I've just changed them and now have to contend with weeks of clank until they bed in.

39 minutes ago, TimR said:

You're definitely changing your Volvos too frequently. 

19 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I change them when they won't intonate accurately.

I was deeply confused for a moment there.

Mark

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Some of my labella’s are over 20 years old and still intonate ok, perhaps other brands are different 

Annoyingly, the B on my laBellas has gone dead, to the extent that it doesn't balance with the other 4. 

I've found that intonation goes away with both flats and rounds when the strings have become worn due to their contact with the frets, result in strings that are no longer a uniform mass along their length. Maybe the reason that flats users as less likely to notice this is a combination of the sound they prefer and the fact that they are less likely to venture above the 7th fret?

I find that some flats age differently to others. Chromes are interesting, they start off sounding metallic and noisy, but they settle into a really nice tone fairly quickly and seem to stay there for a long time. I'm only about a year into a set but after about a month of playing they started sounding very good and they've stayed consistent since. You have to put some proper playing time in for Chromes to find their true character. I like old rounds too, tired old Rotosounds can be great, as can old HiBeams, and I really liked old NYXL's too on a jazz bass, I kept them on there for years.

I have Dunlop flats on another bass which are maybe 3 or 4 years old, they sound completely lifeless now and not in a good way, they feel nice but have no character or personality whatsoever. Will be changing those for something else soon, not quite sure what yet..