Why become a member? ×

When you think you may have too much gear......?

I seem to have a few bass heads at the moment, not "loads", but a few, and I've just bought another today. The idea is that it's a transition, from one set of amps to the other and that the older ones will be sold. It's similar with basses, there are 5, not a huge number by some standards here, but I probably only need three of them.

Then, this week I got into conversation with our drummer after seeing a room in his house with a LOT of kit in it. It put my thoughts on how much gear we might have into perspective. He has 23 snare drums! 23! There are 6 full kits of various kinds, lots of extra toms etc, and over 100 cymbals. Non of this stuff is low end either, it's ALL top quality gear. He's currently having a kit custom made in JAPAN!

Anyway, if you think you might have too much kit, think about our drummer, and you'll be alright for a bit.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I hve too many guitars and basses. totalling 30. My wife has another 10!!

QSC pa and subs and 3 different A&H desks, 3 bass amps, 3 different cabs, bass preamp pedals and FX pedals

5 different valve guitar amps, several 4x12s too

drums, electric and acoustic

A bass combo in my office and an AC30 too

I just can't be bothered to sell the stuff I dont use

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, police squad said:

QSC pa and subs and 3 different A&H desks, 3 bass amps, 3 different cabs, bass preamp pedals and FX pedals

When you retire, just open a shop, you could live off the proceeds for at least a year!

• Like 1

I used to be in four bands playing different genres which I saw as a good excuse to accumulate gear for different scenarios/genres. Now I only play in one band and the majority of venues I play provide a decent backline.

I have sold a few of my basses but still have seven electric basses, two combos, three cabs, three heads, plus a DB I never play.

In reality I could live with the my Barefaced Compact cab plus head and two basses.

Will I sell all my other stuff? Hmmmmm....

• Like 1

I used to own about 50 guitars and basses, 3 bass rigs (with effects), 1 guitar rig (with effects), a couple of keyboard synths, plus two racks full of synth modules and samplers as well as a keytar. This was all kept in fully-spec'd studio suitable for recording anything except an acoustic drum kit with a 40 channel desk and a couple of racks of outboard gear.

Over the last 10 years I have down-sized to 9 guitars and basses (3 of which I only still have because I haven't go around to listing them for sale) a Line6 Helix and FRFR cab plus a 3 octave controller keyboard and a computer for drum programming and tracking my bass parts. The studio room has been turned back into my home office.

• Like 2

Yep I remember going to see a band and the sound man was cursing the drummer - who had just bought a Ludwig Black Beauty - for this, as in his words “it’s twice as loud as the rest of his kit”.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

When drummers find a snare that is louder than their current ones they have to buy it, even if they're too loud in the first place. It's just the natural order of things.

That gives them a lovely excuse to start buying louder toms and cymbals to match, though...

10 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Doesn't really help the on-stage sound though.

I high pass our keys player, band sounds much better for it. We don't do much low synthy stuff where I can take a back seat though.

Usually kick rolls off around 77hz, bass is high passed around there and keys are high passed in the mid bass range so we all get a slice without interference. None of them know about this though, nor are they interested in learning about it!

May be mistaken but you play in the Manfred Mann band don't you? How does your sound guy do things?

Edited by lemmywinks

16 hours ago, gjones said:

I used to be in four bands playing different genres which I saw as a good excuse to accumulate gear for different scenarios/genres. Now I only play in one band and the majority of venues I play provide a decent backline.

I have sold a few of my basses but still have seven electric basses, two combos, three cabs, three heads, plus a DB I never play.

In reality I could live with the my Barefaced Compact cab plus head and two basses.

Will I sell all my other stuff? Hmmmmm....

Market seems slow.

On 16/08/2024 at 10:18, police squad said:

After you have sold those, you can move to a smaller flat, too.

• Like 1

I get really stressed out by having gear I don’t use. I’ve got the amount I need plus one for spare. That’s it. Not wealthy enough to be a collector unfortunately, so unless it’s getting used it goes up for sale.