Why become a member? ×

Installing Newtone Strings

Just got my first set of Newtone Strings, it says on the pack not to cut them until up to pitch, I've also watched the video on the website which does say to cut strings after bending them for slotted tuners. 

Being the clumsy ham fisted individual that I often am, how do my fellow basschatters install their Newtone Strings? As I don't want to mess it up. 

I've never had any issues installing any other sets of strings but you never know..

I too find the advice on the Newtone site a little confusing.  There are many others on here that will have a far better idea (and probably more professional approach than my own), though generally when using Newtone strings, which I do quite a lot, I do the following:

1. secure the ball end at the bridge/saddle

2. stretch the string along the length of board to the tuner post and pull reasonably tight

3. measure the string to around 3 or 4 inches beyond the post 

4. using pliers, make a right angle/90 degree bend (at around the 3 or 4 inch point)

5. cut the string at about 1/2" to 3/4" beyond the bend

6. slot the string into the hole in the bass of the post and then carefully wind to pitch

As far as I know, it's always important to make the right angle bend in the string before making any cuts - this seems to be particularly important with strings that are wound onto a round core (Newtone make this point).  If you're using round core strings, extra care is required (I tend to use round cores quite frequently and only had one problem with a dull E that I think was caused by a slipped wrap).

As above, I'm sure others will have better advice, though the method described has served me well (on many tens if not hundreds of string changes)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You only need to follow the advice on the Newtone site if your are using their strings with round cores. You can safely cut the hex-core strings to length before fitting or bending them. This advice came directly from Newtone after I queried it with them. It appears that they still haven't updated the instructions on the web site or packaging.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

You only need to follow the advice on the Newtone site if your are using their strings with round cores. You can safely cut the hex-core strings to length before fitting or bending them. This advice came directly from Newtone after I queried it with them. It appears that they still haven't updated the instructions on the web site or packaging.

That was the same advice I got from Newtone. I have their Platinum round core Nickel/Steel strings on my basses and I love them. I choose them after a phone call with Neil outlying what I wanted.  Not overly zingy to start with but a nice tone and the fine windings mean reduced string noise. Just ordered another two sets.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 2

The strings are great but fitting them to my newly acquired Dingwall (I did buy the multiscale set) was a challenge..

Bent bit of tin bridges I'm fine with, I really struggle with those that don't secure the ball end until the string has a fair bit of tension, couple that with the recessed tuners and large hands. 

Many expletives were said that I'm not proud of..

• Like 2

I am a complete Newtone comvert. Wonderful strings. I wind them to tension with the end in the slot horizontally (i.e. not put down into the body of the peg) then unwind and cut then reinstall. Bit of a pain but never a problem. 

• Like 1

On 16/08/2024 at 11:04, Rodders said:

Just got my first set of Newtone Strings, it says on the pack not to cut them until up to pitch, I've also watched the video on the website which does say to cut strings after bending them for slotted tuners. 

Being the clumsy ham fisted individual that I often am, how do my fellow basschatters install their Newtone Strings? As I don't want to mess it up. 

I've never had any issues installing any other sets of strings but you never know..

If you have Fender style tuners with a hole in the middle can’t you just pre-bend at 90 degrees before cutting the excess off and then winding as normal? I’m sure I read somewhere that a 90 degree bend is enough to trap the windings and stop the outer layer unravelling. 

Thinking about it you can probably do the same for hole through the post style tuners but you might need to clip any excess off after they’re brought to tension. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

f you have Fender style tuners with a hole in the middle can’t you just pre-bend at 90 degrees before cutting the excess off and then winding as normal? I’m sure I read somewhere that a 90 degree bend is enough to trap the windings and stop the outer layer unravelling. 

That is Newtone’s recommendation. Of course this procedure is needed for any round cored strings.

• Like 1