Why become a member? ×

N(old)BD

AndyTravis

Ah the swings and roundabouts in my head…honestly…

In July 2021, Epiphone announced Pelham Blue Jack Casady basses.

I missed my old Jack Casady terribly, I sold it when I was broke following the birth of Oldest Daughter.

It was a gold Peerless made one I bought when I worked in a guitar shop - I played that thing until my hands couldn’t play anymore, festivals, gigs, somewhere in my memory also says a TV show…anyhow.

Here’s me playing the gold one - think this was in The Raymond Review/Soho Review bar…IMG_1331.jpeg.75eb4f1ca8e37a66d77e043b1bcd174a.jpeg

So I got a blue one - and it was lovely, just as i remembered them to be.

I got a Babicz bridge on it and changed the knobs to Gibson Amber top Hats - just looked better than the light gold speed knobs it came with.

At that time I was in a funk/rock band and played lots of slappy tight stuff - the Casady just sat watching on, and eventually I sold it.

As things have a habit of doing - everything changed, I planned to knock it all on the head And stop playing all together.

Then a chance exchange of messages turned into a band and it’s going really well - I have myself a lovely Gibson Ripper, and I’d love a second one - but they are inordinately expensive…

Ive tried all sorts as a backup - the best being a Shergold Marathon - now with our very own @Maude

Anyhow fate stepped in - and my blue Casady reappeared! The Ibanez case, amber knobs and Babicz all telling. I messaged @Grooverjr

Turns out @MM Stingray 62 had replaced the machineheads with Grover’s (as now used by Gibson) which is definitely a worthwhile upgrade - smoother and more reassuring.

So, it’s home…

Couldn’t be more chuffed.

Does everything I need - rehearsal tomorrow and gigs 30th/31st…

And, it’s blue…IMG_1328.thumb.jpeg.3387ad0ae6d4d4c8feede087903d5a63.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

• Like 37

I used to really want the gold Peerless branded one with the different headstock - Think it had 'Bassmaster' on the truss rod cover (I've only seen one in UK). I have Casady's 'Dream Factor' album stored somewhere.

My first bass lessons were on one of these, so I always gravitate towards this type of instrument....

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/cdn/shop/products/IMG_4974.jpg?v=1548167506 

Edited by Schnozzalee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Schnozzalee said:

I used to really want the gold Peerless branded one with the different headstock - Think it had 'Bassmaster' on the truss rod cover (I've only seen one in UK).

I have Casady's 'Dream Factor' album stored somewhere...

Yeah - I should’ve got one of those when I had the chance.

I will say - there’s little to nothing between the Korean and Chinese ones.

Just now, OliverBlackman said:

Moral of the story is hold on to your basses folks! Never know when it will come back in handy.

Not sure that kind of sensible advice will get through to most of us on here😁

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Schnozzalee said:

I used to really want the gold Peerless branded one with the different headstock - Think it had 'Bassmaster' on the truss rod cover (I've only seen one in UK). I have Casady's 'Dream Factor' album stored somewhere.

My first bass lessons were on one of these, so I always gravitate towards this type of instrument....

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/cdn/shop/products/IMG_4974.jpg?v=1548167506 

I have the gold Peerless Bassmaster Player. I think it’s a step up from the Epi but I guess Gibson just wouldn’t tolerate the competition especially from the company that used to make the Epi for them. 

IMG_0912.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

I have the gold Peerless Bassmaster Player. I think it’s a step up from the Epi but I guess Gibson just wouldn’t tolerate the competition especially from the company that used to make the Epi for them. 

IMG_0912.jpeg

would be very interested to sit with this and the Epi.

Like a walnut colour.

Seem to recall my Gold top was opaque brown…

40 minutes ago, Schnozzalee said:

Good!! At least one of us has it here in the UK - Is it a dark back, or black on the rear?

I've started pulling out all my CDs with semi-acoustic bass on them.

IMG_1334.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1