Why become a member? ×

Yamaha RBX 170 as 1st bass?

Hotglove

Hi, just looking at getting a bass to learn on. From the advice so far the target was looking like a used Squiers P Bass, but the waters have been muddied with the offer of a mint looking Yamaha RBX 170 for £120.

the logic round a used example is to enable freedom to chop and change if necessary without losing a stack of cash, all input welcome.

Go for it.
AFAICS, they were well-made and less of a risk to buy than the Squier Affinity or even the more expensive Squier Vintage Modified from the same era. Only the Squier Classic Vibe was as secure a buy as the RBX, but the CV was a lot more expensive.

I tested all of these against each other between 2011 and 2014, and to me the RBX and the CV came out on top.

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 5

Yes. Provided that it’s been looked-after you probably can’t go wrong. I’ve had several Yamaha basses and guitars and they’ve all punched above their price in terms of quality. Good luck on your bass journey.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

"You can't go wrong with a Yamaha" 

This is pretty much my mantra. When I first took up bass, it was a Yamaha (a BB), when I returned to it many years later, it was a Yamaha again (this time an RBX). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice concerning the Yamaha, it checked out well, nice guy, gave it a thorough demo. I would describe it as, “very good used condition” very slight scratches and one or two small chips, gives the impression of having been used, but not abused, but not so pristine that one is afraid to make the first mark on it.

now looking for decent used case or bag for it, my first thought is a hard case, but interested to hear opinions on bag v case.

thanks again.

IMG_2066.jpeg

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Hotglove said:

Neepheid, house, or friend's place 

Gig bag will more than suffice - you only need a hard case if it's going to be rattling around in the back of a van or getting loaded/unloaded from venues not necessarily by your own self.

Doesn't need to be a super expensive one at this stage - something like the Fender FB610 can be had for £30-35 and it'll keep your bass safe enough as you go back and forth from your place and your friend's.  UNLESS you intend to put sheets of A4 in there too - that front pocket is feckin' useless for that because it's a daft shape.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1