Why become a member? ×

Fender Hialeah Yellow - Thoughts?

I’ve been on the look out for a Jazz bass as a 2nd guitar to my P bass. Different sounds, necks, feels, styles etc. 

I’d read some good things about the new Fender Player II basses, but I wasn’t that taken with any of the colour schemes - paint, pick guard combinations. I saw the Hialeah Yellow though and that it could look great with a tort pick guard. 

The bass arrived yesterday, unboxed it, played it and thought it felt great. The neck is really really nice on the guitar. But, I wasn’t taken with the yellow, white combination. Even the kids and wife started asking, not in a nice way, what colour it was. 

I boxed it up, spoke to the dealer and arranged to exchange it. Then, the tort pickguard arrived a day early. I unpacked it for the second time and placed the pick guard on on. I think I’ve come full circle again 😂 IMO it looks much better with a Tort pick guard. Individual, more retro, it seems to make the Hialeah yellow, imo, come to life a bit more, where the white pick guard made it feel a bit drab!!??  

Anyway - colour schemes are very individual, you like what you like. Thought I’d share.  

IMG_2195.thumb.jpeg.94de22c03e2f96ce5b4739974b24fe1b.jpegIMG_2180.thumb.jpeg.ff812e65995983c386322d7e1aab4a59.jpegIMG_2193.thumb.jpeg.3cc32e499ab9847817c566fe86dc54cc.jpegIMG_2196.thumb.jpeg.f92d03db2fe768f00bea9f5b07c6d81e.jpeg

IMG_2194.jpeg

Edited by iestynt1
  • Like 2

I'm with Lozz, the white is just fine, but the tort does make it pop a lot more, much more of a pleasant contrast, whereas the white is looking a little too much like they both started as white, and the pickguard never yellowed like the finish did. 

• Thanks 1

I was thinking worse 😂

After sleeping on it (again) she went back to the shop this morning and I exchanged it for a Sadowsky. I had my heart set on a Fender but was blown away by the Sadowsky after playing it. I’ll post a pic later. 

• Like 3

The whole idea of being able just to take things back to the shop if you don't like them makes me feel all funny. Firstly, when did this start happening, and was there some kind of announcement that I missed? Secondly, what happens to the returned item? Who pays what for it? And so on 😟 

Looks great with the tort. 

White seems like an odd choice. I think aged white or black would both look brilliant (as evidently does tort) but the proper white guard on what's essentially an aged white makes it look like a smoker who needs to paint their radiator. 

• Haha 3