Why become a member? ×

What style of basses HAVEN'T you tried?

la bam

Anything fan fretted.

Never tried a Thunderbird or Flying V bass.

Nothing ‘pointy’ or ‘metal’ 🤘

None of those coffee table single cut basses made from exotic tonewoods that look like vomit, and where the top of the body starts at the 5th fret.

Yet.

(I only play a Precision with flats now because Angela Rippon used one to redo all the parts on the first four Yes albums because Chris Squire was still primarily a tenor recorder player at the time and his bass parts weren’t up to par. She really was one of the great unsung British session players. Never got into Yes but I did try. Still want a 50” gong, a cape and a wind machine because of them though.)

• Haha 2

I've owned and moved on a lot of basses, but I've never wanted to own a Hofner violin, a Ritter (too expensive anyway), a Fodera (ditto), a Wal (ditto ditto) or the Jaguar-type shapes. And lots of smaller luthier stuff which I just don't like the look of.

Other than that, I've tried lots and lots, including fretless (even a Wishbass...eeek), pointy BC Rich, T-birds (love them), Dingwalls, headlesses (inc.Status), Stingray(s), Warwicks, Alembic, Yam BBs, Overwaters, ACG and all the usual suspects, 4, 5, 8 and 12-strings, with flats, rounds and everything in between.

These days my main criteria is low weight, which would rule out an awful lot of basses before they start. I've mentioned before I've come to know I'm a 'split-P pickup in the right place' bloke, so I can now look at a bass and know it won't suit. Knowing that twenty years ago might have saved me a chunk of money, but then I'd have missed out on the fun, and sometimes you have to try things to learn you don't like them.

I have owned:

P-style: Originally thought these weren't for me, because I never liked having just one single pickup and I thought the passive controls were limiting. Came back from that idea and now happily play a shortscale Sandberg Lionel;

J-style: Owned a few Jazz Bass-style basses. I love my MIJ Fender 75RI dearly and the range of tones I can get from that simple configuration is vast. 

PJ: Owned several, both active and passive and with normal and reverse P pickups. Didn't like them at first, and still think many of these have bridge pickups that are too weak to match up to the splitcoil, but I love their versatility and punch. Had a G&L SB-2 with just two volumes and no tone control and it opened my eyes (and ears!) to the idea of using the bridge pickup as your "tone control" to the P pickup.

Rickenbacker 4003: not for me. Ergonomics were weird, tone was either too woolly (with the neck pickup engaged) or too gnarly (with mostly the bridge pickup on). Love the tones some people get from them, but it didn't work for me.

MM: owned a few Ibanez ATK's and one actual MM Stingray 5. Liked them for a while but eventually started missing a neck pickup on them. Sold all of them.

J/MM: owned two active Carvin LB75's and a passive Carvin B4 with that config. Expected they would solve the issue I had with single MM-basses, but to me they were utterly boring and dull basses with zero character. Have yet to try a more traditional approach like a Sandberg California TM.

Semi-hollow: had an Italia Torino shortscale with a mudbucker close to the neck and a humbucker at the bridge (like on a Gibson EB-3). Had a lot of fun with it but in the end it was too boomy for me.

Headless / graphite: have two Status S2 Classics (and had a wooden Hohner B2A for a while) and love them. 

Have never owned and would love to try:

Dual-P: Having a P in the neck and another P at the bridge seems like a powerful and versatile combo, and solves the issue of PJ-basses where the J bridge pickup is just not loud enough to be useful on its own.

Dual-MM: Would be interesting to have classic MM tones and a second MM bucker at the neck, the way Music Man builds their HH basses. Would also be interested in the Sandberg approach (one in the P position and one at the bridge) or the Warwick approach (both centered around the MM sweetspot rather than one actually IN the sweetspot).

Zon: I have a craving for a Zon Sonus 5-string. They were one of THE metal basses of the 1990s, I used to see them with many big artists back then and I have always been intrigued.

Fanned frets: would love to give a Dingwall a go. I feel like their Combustion series is priced prohibitively high for a Chinese-made bass, but as a lefty it's all there is. Might try a used Ibanez EHB1005 at one point when one comes by at a good price. 

Have owned but would like to give a second chance:

High-end / active / neck-through / fancy woods: had a Human Base when I was still very much a beginner and didn't get along with the electronics (two Bartolini humbuckers and active 2-band) and missed having a low B. Foolishly sold. Would love to have a go on a Smith or Fodera once. I fear I might actually like them though...

Fretless: Had a Sandberg Bullet 5 fretless, couldn't get it to sound the way I had in my mind, couldn't get it to cut through a mix. Tried a set of Tomastik jazz flats, that only worsened it AND they felt like rubber bands to me. Am convinced that was all totally on me, and not the bass. Should have kept it and tried some other strings, I just wasn't ready for it then. 

• Like 1

I've never really tried any Gibson basses. I did use an Epiphone Rivoli for a music video, but that was just miming to the track. They have always seemed to have neck dive issues, with which I can't be bothered.

I'd love to be cool enough to get away with a thunderbird but a) I'm just not cool enough, and b) I play with a guy who played with Pete Way. Pretty much kills any ambitions there!

Otherwise, not really played any of the usual boutique brands. If I'm brutally honest, I simply have no interest. They don't do anything for me either aesthetically or sonically. Similarly, no Warwick, Lakland, Sandberg, Yamaha, Ibanez or the like.

Dead boring me, but seemingly happy to be so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

Dead boring me, but seemingly happy to be so.

The same here - I like my P and J basses and that seems to be enough.  Every now and again I get a bit of a fancy for a T-bird, or I wish that you could get a passive US Stingray, but the ardour quickly fades and I think about the many reasons I have to stick with what I have already.

The main two I'm interested in trying but have never crossed paths with are a Rickenbacker 4005 because Mani/Stone Roses, and a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 because Stu Zender/Jamiroquai. 

I think I've probably owned or played everything else that I'm interested in. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Right now I think that for almost everyone, almost always there is little to nothing to be gained with boutiques beyond flash.

The necks on my Seis are the best necks of any basses I've played, with the Antoniotsais being a close runner up.

Looking at 5-strings, I haven't played a Jazz (Fender) or Rickenbacker, only played a Stingray briefly (I liked that), no Alembic, played a Fodera but that was just a 4-string (and I didn't like the neck), no Ritter.

Edit: no Gibsons either.

Edited by tauzero
  • Like 1

I grew up when the choice was a Precision and a Jazz bass.

Over the years I've owned a few others (Wal, Lakland, MM, Ibanez). The list of basses I haven't tried is long and uninteresting.

I'm more than happy to be back with P and J basses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I don’t think I’ve ever played a Fodera, I’d like to just to see if they are worth the price tag 

I have played a Fodera. It was extremely good, one of the best (if not the best) basses I have ever played.

Whether any bass is worth that sort of money is debateable, but it was very good...! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I have played a Fodera. It was extremely good, one of the best (if not the best) basses I have ever played

That’s kinda what I was thinking pete , might be best I don’t try one as I can see this costing me a lot of money 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s kinda what I was thinking pete , might be best I don’t try one as I can see this costing me a lot of money 😁

I know what you mean. I have briefly thought of looking for a secondhand Fodera (one of the less esoteric models), but to do that I would have to sell three or four other really nice basses.

At one time, when I started playing FSOs again, I wanted an USA Sadowsky but didn't have the money at the time. So I bought and sold a few super jazz type basses until I got an old spec Xotic jazz. At that point I thought, just how much better could a Sadowsky be than the excellent Xotic? For the type of stuff I generally play, a Sadowsky would probably be a better fit than a Fodera, so you have to ask yourself, could you justify buying a Fodera over a Sadowsky and then, could I justify getting a Sadowsky when I already had the Xotic? It's not like saying that you could get away with a Harley Benton or a Sire (which of course you could if you had to). These are all top spec, excellent instruments and as great as the Fodera undoubtedly is, do I need one when I already have some great basses that work for what I do? 

To cap it all, because of the people I'm currently playing with, I'm using passive Fenders on pretty much very gig these days! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, peteb said:

I have played a Fodera. It was extremely good, one of the best (if not the best) basses I have ever played.

Whether any bass is worth that sort of money is debateable, but it was very good...! 

I've played one, albeit a four-string, and I didn't like the neck. Which I was very pleased about, as it meant I wouldn't be tempted to spend ridiculous amounts of money.

8 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I've played one, albeit a four-string, and I didn't like the neck. Which I was very pleased about, as it meant I wouldn't be tempted to spend ridiculous amounts of money.

The one I played was a four string and I loved the neck. Everything just seemed easier to play...! 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

The one I played was a four string and I loved the neck. Everything just seemed easier to play...! 

That's fine, as long as it's not me spending money I'm happy 😁

8 hours ago, peteb said:

I played a Fodera at  the old Bass Gear shop in Twyford. Ditto, the best bass I've played  . . . ever.

I was never going to spend £6k on a bass but it was really something special.

• Like 1

I have played:

Wal -- I own a Pro, have borrowed a Custom in the past & would dearly love a Mk3 five string.

Zon -- borrowed a Legacy Elite & it was ridiculously good, kicked myself when I missed the opportunity to get one.

Status -- currently own a headless S4000, have owned a wooden Series 1, wonderful things.

Spector -- own a Q4, would like to try one of the USA models but my credit card fears for its life :D 

Thunderbird -- well it was bird shaped anyway but not a Gibson, enough to know that it wasn't for me.

Steinberger cricket bat -- I'm sure it was an engineering marvel, but as a playing experience just eww.

Sei -- I owned a Flamboyant 5 string, why why why did I sell it? *kicks self again* 

Smith -- I played Kiwi's old BSR5, it was utterly beautiful and I immediately tried to buy one but it didn't work out.

Ricky -- tried one for 10 or 15 minutes, long enough to realise that it was the least comfortable thing I'd ever picked up. Horrible ergonomics.

I haven't played:

Any actual Gibson.

Anything pointy (BC Rich, etc).

Violin bass of any sort.

Any Alembic.

Any Fodera.

Anything fan-fretted.

Anything multi-coursed (8-, 10-, 12-strings, etc.)

Anything with more than 7 strings.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I have played:

Wal -- I own a Pro, have borrowed a Custom in the past & would dearly love a Mk3 five string.

Zon -- borrowed a Legacy Elite & it was ridiculously good, kicked myself when I missed the opportunity to get one.

Status -- currently own a headless S4000, have owned a wooden Series 1, wonderful things.

Spector -- own a Q4, would like to try one of the USA models but my credit card fears for its life :D 

Thunderbird -- well it was bird shaped anyway but not a Gibson, enough to know that it wasn't for me.

Steinberger cricket bat -- I'm sure it was an engineering marvel, but as a playing experience just eww.

Sei -- I owned a Flamboyant 5 string, why why why did I sell it? *kicks self again* 

Smith -- I played Kiwi's old BSR5, it was utterly beautiful and I immediately tried to buy one but it didn't work out.

Ricky -- tried one for 10 or 15 minutes, long enough to realise that it was the least comfortable thing I'd ever picked up. Horrible ergonomics.

I haven't played:

Any actual Gibson.

Anything pointy (BC Rich, etc).

Violin bass of any sort.

Any Alembic.

Any Fodera.

Anything fan-fretted.

Anything multi-coursed (8-, 10-, 12-strings, etc.)

Anything with more than 7 strings.

Different perspectives on the have-played front...

Rics feel natural to me and Wals are big and clunky.

Status I like, Thunderbirds are not for me, I have Steinberger Spirit guitar & 5-string basses but they are 2 frets out of position for me, I have a Spector Performer and it's distinctly mediocre.

There are many styles of bass I haven't had the opportunity to try and I'd give any of them a go simply because I think the more experience of different thing I can get, the better I will be at knowing what I really want/need/desire. But there are only a few that I feel I've missed out on.

I'd like to have an extended trial of a Rickenbacker 4001 as I started off listening to Chris Squire and loved the sound he was getting. I subsequently discovered there was more to it than just the bass, but I've always wondered what they're like to play. I've never played a semi acoustic or hollow body bass and it was something I was contemplating for a recent rock n roll project that never really took off. I own and have played live a Sterling 5 string but the string spacing and neck width were too big for my little hands to feel comfortable playing it so it's currently being sold. I understand there are 5 strings with narrower string spacings so something of that ilk would be interesting to try out. I'd like to see what difference the graphite makes on a Status headless. And that's it. 😃

I've not tried any Ricky basses. The only Gibson was an Epi EB0.

I've not had a 4 string Stingray and I've got huge GAS for one with the SLO neck option.

Never had anything with a Double P pickup - I'd like to try that.

Never had any semi-hollow basses.