Why become a member? ×

What style of basses HAVEN'T you tried?

la bam

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

There are many styles of bass I haven't had the opportunity to try and I'd give any of them a go simply because I think the more experience of different thing I can get, the better I will be at knowing what I really want/need/desire. But there are only a few that I feel I've missed out on.

I'd like to have an extended trial of a Rickenbacker 4001 as I started off listening to Chris Squire and loved the sound he was getting. I subsequently discovered there was more to it than just the bass, but I've always wondered what they're like to play. I've never played a semi acoustic or hollow body bass and it was something I was contemplating for a recent rock n roll project that never really took off. I own and have played live a Sterling 5 string but the string spacing and neck width were too big for my little hands to feel comfortable playing it so it's currently being sold. I understand there are 5 strings with narrower string spacings so something of that ilk would be interesting to try out. I'd like to see what difference the graphite makes on a Status headless. And that's it. 😃

I think that Rics are the best basses money can buy; however something like 99% of people who state an opinion say they are awful, but of course they are wrong!

My headless Status Graphite is my second favourite bass.

My Warwicks are my preferred 5-strings, though a couple of my wooden-necked Status ones are very playable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I think that Rics are the best basses money can buy; however something like 99% of people who state an opinion say they are awful, but of course they are wrong!

And that's why I want to try one for myself. I've heard both sides of the argument but unless I try one myself I'll never know what it's like for me.

• Like 1

Never played a real ric for long enough to get bored of it, never played a ric 5 string (the 4003s5), never played a ritter or a fedora.

Never played a canadian dingwall for beyond a minute, which I would like to but the Combustion pretty well put me off any of the chinese ones. Probably would like to see if the thunderbird shaped ones are better.

A few others I haven't tried but nothing that I would like to go out of my way to do so.

I haven't tried any 6 string basses as I feel I would just get lost on them and that they stray out of bass player territory at the upper end of the range. I do accept that a bass with a higher top range is a valid choice as a bass, but I don't go up the dusty end that much and not that far. 

I covet one of the new Fender P Uke basses. God help me if I see one in the flesh.
Would I use it enough to justify buying one? Probably not. RESIST!!!

I yearn for an upright bass, the old style double bass, but I couldn't transport one.
The electric slimline options don't look interesting enough.

Those basses where the body is attached halfway down the neck.
I don't like the look of them, though I am sure there is a sustain advantage. Not for me.

Sandberg, Fodera and other high-end P bass style bass clones.
If people want to make basses, they should come up with their own body shape. It's just rampant lack of imagination.
They may be superb basses, but if I want a good Fender, I'll buy one.

Edited by 12stringbassist

On a related subject... basses that underwhelmed me (note, I may have tried duff examples, or you may have different preferences, so if one of these is yours, and you love it, please don't get upset}.

Gibson EB3
Fender Aerodyne Jazz

Fender Active Jazz

Warwick Thumb (most unpleasant neck I ever held, the laminations had shrunk unevenly).

Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass

I was a Pbass guy for a long , long time. And got into Rics , and for some reason picked up a Dano Longhorn when the reissues first appeared , and started playing that. I’m not sure just how it happened because everything went sideways , I started picking up shortscale basses. Still mostly a Dano guy but really started to love Gibson shortscales. Picked up a big Gretsch hollow body , and then a chambered solid body. It happened … Gretsch guy. Just a working musician playing the mid sized rooms downtown. Not a big star , but I was always gigging. Still do.
I’m ok with all that. I’ve got an interesting mix of classics and short scales , from a Ray to a HiFlier , Samurai , Flying V the usual stuff you can pick up over the years. I’m nerdy about amps , but I’m a thumper. I like an amp that has authority.

Never owned a real boutique bass , I’d love a little Alembic Stanley Clarke. Or a Wal or even a Ritter. 
I think I’m safe for the time being , but if a good deal came up I’ve been known to weaken. I’d love to find a cherry EB3 in nice shape. I’ve never owned a Tbird. I usually have a little stash of gig money for any musical emergency that might pop up.
I once took up the tuba , it did not go well. I was working on some chromatic exercises one afternoon and after about half an hour started to feel a little dizzy , so I put down the Sousaphone , and saw my wife with a look of absolute horror. I asked what was wrong and she said. ”You wouldn’t believe the sounds the washing machine was just making”    

I knew my days with the Sousaphone were numbered.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, hpc364 said:

I think I've never tried extra long scale basses like Thunderbirds

Thunderbirds are regular long scale basses (34 inch) but do feel longer due to their

design.  I’ve tried a few and could never understand how some people get on with them,

same with a Gibson Firebird guitar I once owned. The neck just seems so long and 

unwieldy, but maybe it’s just me. 

I’ve never tried anything boutique or very top end, always preferring more ‘traditional’ basses

that reflect my more errr…basic style of playing. 😆

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, casapete said:

Thunderbirds are regular long scale basses (34 inch) but do feel longer due to their

design.  I’ve tried a few and could never understand how some people get on with them,

Poor basses nobody cares about them.

9 minutes ago, hpc364 said:

Poor basses nobody cares about them.

Lots do - I loved the thunderbird, if I was playing in a rock context I would play one all the time, but I do a lot of pop and only really play 5 strings. Which is why the dingwall would be nice, if I trusted chinese dingwalls!

Oh yes, I have never played an alpher, and would really like one, but its a lot of money if I don't know what they are like!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Lots do - I loved the thunderbird, if I was playing in a rock context I would play one all the time, but I do a lot of pop and only really play 5 strings. Which is why the dingwall would be nice, if I trusted chinese dingwalls!

Oh yes, I have never played an alpher, and would really like one, but its a lot of money if I don't know what they are like!

One of the first gigs I ever attended was Wishbone Ash at Hull City Hall in the early 70’s.
Martin Turner was playing a Thunderbird and remember it sounding amazing. 

• Like 1

A Spector. Never tried one and never really liked the look of them despite knowing that they have 'that sound'. Suddenly wanted to try a 5 string Forte at age of 35. 

Hofner Beatle Bass. No interest in trying one when I started playing at 11 and no interest now at the age of 38.

Headless basses: see comment above.

Modulus/Status Graphite basses. I have two Vigiers, so just never investigated or felt the need to try them. 

Haven't tried a 6 string (to be honest, I don't particularly want to).

Haven't tried an Octave Course 8 string (tbh, I really particularly want to!)

Wouldn't mind trying a Wal and a multi-scale bass.

Edited by Skybone

8 hours ago, casapete said:

One of the first gigs I ever attended was Wishbone Ash at Hull City Hall in the early 70’s.
Martin Turner was playing a Thunderbird and remember it sounding amazing. 

I nearly went for the Epiphone Thunderbird, but my Embassy has the same pickups.

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I nearly went for the Epiphone Thunderbird, but my Embassy has the same pickups.

I've heard a few similar comments from Embassy owners.

What is strange is the Embassy looks like a short scale but is a regular 34 inch job, whilst the

Thunderbird is the same scale length but looks longer!

19 minutes ago, casapete said:

I've heard a few similar comments from Embassy owners.

What is strange is the Embassy looks like a short scale but is a regular 34 inch job, whilst the

Thunderbird is the same scale length but looks longer!

Indeed, it feels smaller than a p-bass. I think it's all down to the headstock styles.

They have they 'Epiphone Probuckers' in common. Excellent pickups.

Loads of stuff I haven’t tried (yet) due to spending most of the last twenty five years convinced that if it didn’t have five strings and an active EQ, it wasn’t worth trying. More recently, I’ve got into using four string passive fretted and fretless basses, so given that Lemmy was one of my hero’s in my teenage years, I must try a Rickenbacker 4001 soon.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2024 at 12:34, JPJ said:

Loads of stuff I haven’t tried (yet) due to spending most of the last twenty five years convinced that if it didn’t have five strings and an active EQ, it wasn’t worth trying. More recently, I’ve got into using four string passive fretted and fretless basses, so given that Lemmy was one of my hero’s in my teenage years, I must try a Rickenbacker 4001 soon.

I have three fivers, but I've never played a 6, 7 or 8. Or fan frets.

Popped my Sire cherry yesterday, impressed. Only criticism z the tuners seem a bit cheap for a bass well north of 1k new.

Grateful to have tried many weird and wonderful basses - owned a precision, a jazz and settled for a lovely USA G&L L2500 (going strong for 12 years)* - but have never held a Stingray!

How much am I missing out??

*although secretly the bass I play most is a Sue Ryder P with flats 🙌

• Like 1