Why become a member? ×

Sunday bass/video recording

ped

No? what about this one?

This is partly why I sold my Celinder - the 70s jazz sound from this bass is massive, I have never had such a good P and J sound in one bass and if you told me it would be on a mustang I'd have thought you were mental!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’ve never played a short scale but I’m stunned how well that could pass for a really good P or J tone! Loverly stuff

Thanks, me too - honestly I bought it for thumpy muted stuff but when I put rounds on it - and especially with these pickups - it’s been the biggest surprise and it’s so easy/fun/inspirational to play. In P mode through a big old amp = heaven!

Even if I had imagined it could sound like this I’d have expected the action wouldn’t be low enough or the short scale wouldn’t work for my quite light touch and low action/flat neck, but it’s bang on, too 😁

2 hours ago, ped said:

Thanks, me too - honestly I bought it for Thursday muted stuff but when I put rounds on it - and especially with these pickups - it’s been the biggest surprise and it’s so easy/fun/inspirational to play. In P mode through a big old amp = heaven!

Even if I had imagined it could sound like this I’d have expected the action wouldn’t be low enough or the short scale wouldn’t work for my quite light touch and low action/flat neck, but it’s bang on, too 😁

Of course it’s all in the fingers, and I think your light touch helps for the pinoesque tone in the first vid. The low action probably helps with the late 70s/ early 80s focussed disco vibes of the other tunes.

Yet I’m still blown away by the bass. Put me out of my GAS misery, do you think it is the 50/60 year old woods, the PUP combo, or a combination of both that gets that warm fat sound?

14 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

Of course it’s all in the fingers, and I think your light touch helps for the pinoesque tone in the first vid. The low action probably helps with the late 70s/ early 80s focussed disco vibes of the other tunes.

Yet I’m still blown away by the bass. Put me out of my GAS misery, do you think it is the 50/60 year old woods, the PUP combo, or a combination of both that gets that warm fat sound?

I honestly don’t know - when I first got the bass it had P/J pickups but the core sound was still there. I think low action and a bit of clank go a long way to give definition to the sound. Normally you hear mustangs with flats (I had flats on mine too for a while) but they are really quite growly with rounds. 

Worth mentioning also that this bass is always in drop D tuning, again it seemingly defies logic because that shouldn’t work as well from a scale length and tension perspective but it does. 

I have no doubt that the woods involved play a part, particularly in how stable the neck is. But I think it’s a combination of everything, some educated guesses regarding pickup choices (tbh my options were limited by the existing cavities) and a bit of luck have been on my side, for once!!

I’ll do a video to demonstrate the P sound a bit more clearly. 

Original tune - it has a strange effect on the bass track, sounds almost like a super fast slap back delay at times, I think maybe a shallow and fast chorus?

Here I am after practicing a bit 

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/08/2024 at 12:40, ped said:

As I said in the video description, I'm not 100% sure this is right, but it's a great tune to play!

You have quite an unusual RH technique. Very light touch which probably helps to give that nice warm rounded deep tone.

Very nice indeed.

Great choice in music too.

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You have quite an unusual RH technique. Very light touch which probably helps to give that nice warm rounded deep tone.

Very nice indeed.

Great choice in music too.

Dave

Thanks Dave, n that tune I’m palm muting a bit in the verses, and when I do that I tend to form a kind of claw and play mainly using my index finger. Gives a nice rounded tone with some snap if you push harder and lift your palm a bit. 

• Like 1